Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About A. L. Butcher
British-born A. L. Butcher is an avid reader and creator of worlds, a poet, and a dreamer, a lover of science, natural history, history, and monkeys. Her prose has been described as ‘dark and gritty’ and her poetry as ‘evocative’. She writes with a sure and sometimes erotic sensibility of things that might have been, never were, but could be.
Alex is the author of the Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles and the Tales of Erana lyrical fantasy series. She also has several short stories in the fantasy, fantasy romance genres with occasional forays into gothic style horror, including the Legacy of the Mask series. With a background in politics, classical studies, ancient history and myth, her affinities bring an eclectic and unique flavour in her work, mixing reality and dream in alchemical proportions that bring her characters and worlds to life.
She also curates speculative fiction themed book bundles on BundleRabbit - for the most part the Here Be Series
Alex is also proud to be a writer for Perseid Press where her work features in Heroika: Dragon Eaters, Heroika Skirmishers – where she was editor and cover designer as well as writer; and Lovers in Hell – part of the acclaimed Heroes in Hell series. http://www.theperseidpress.com/
Awards: Outside the Walls, co-written with Diana L. Wicker received a Chill with a Book Reader’s Award in 2017.
NN Light Book Heaven awards:
The Kitchen Imps and Other Dark Tales won best fantasy for 2018
Echoes of a Song - one of her Phantom tales - won best fantasy in 2019
Customers Also Bought Items By
Contributors are alphabetically, DM Andrews, Tim Arnot, RJ Askew, Baarbaara, Andrew Barrett, Kath Brinck, Michael Brookes, Alexandra Butcher, DD Chant, Mel Comley, Lexie Conyngham, Raymond Daley, Ian Ellis, Robert Franks, Cornelius Harker, Mark R Faulkner, Vic Heaney, Jonathan Hill, Darren Humphries, Andrew Lawston, Stephen Livingston, Will Macmillan Jones, M T McGuire, Kath Middleton, Marc Nash, Harry Nicholson, Jenny Shaw, Rosen Trevithick, Simon Turpin, David Wailing, Jim Webster, Philip Whiteland.
A fallen mage believes he’s reached sanctuary. But when three ingots vanish from the vault he protects for a troll warlord, his search for the thief once again thrusts him in harm’s way.
A troll shaman calls from her deathbed, sending her heiress on a quest to return their people’s magical gemstone to its place of origin. If she succeeds, she becomes the leader of her tribe. If she fails, there will be no tribe to lead.
A wise old auntie and her kin must defend their remote homestead against a marauding troll of old, a fearsome beast bearing great fangs and claws—and gripped by a hunger for human flesh.
An agent of the Society for Magickal Heritage must find the source of an occult disease decimating Britain’s troll enclaves—and fix it. Simple in theory, tricky in practice, for the only place that might hold the information she needs is the ancient and inconveniently lost enclave of Farringale...
A princess faces war on two fronts: demons outside in the forest and hidden enemies in the caves of home. If she loses either battle, everything is lost, even though she’s a badass warrior troll.
From nightmare monsters who enjoy dining on children to spiritual mystics in tune with the natural world, from gritty champions to peculiar cooks, from shy hermits to paladin mages—greenskins, trolls, and orcs feature as heroes or as villains in these 10 tales of magic, myth, and mayhem.
- HORIZON - KIRA: PART 2 by Ross Harrison - It was just her and a boy, alone. Kira had to concentrate on keeping him alive.
- THE VISITOR by Neil Shooter - Time is relative. On an ordinary blustery British night an extraordinary visitor comes.
- A WORLD TAKEN OVER by Douglas Schwartz - He had conquered the world. How much more effort was it going to be to unconquer it?
- THE JOY OF SOCKS by A.L. Butcher - The imps knew what they wanted from the Bringer of Offerings...
- THE COLONIAL PLAGUE by L.L. Watkin - It's been years since Missra was executed and now her soul is shut away, but being the most powerful magical healer of her generation gets her out of the box occasionally...
- HUMANITY WAS DELICIOUS by Ubiquitous Bubba - Imagine you were the werewolf who ate the last human. What will you eat now? More importantly, how are you going to get off this alien ship?
- MY LAST DAY by Zach Tyo - Disaster awaits the Earth, yet an unexpected gift brings joy.
- GUISARME by Barbara G. Tarn - Members of the Assassins' Guild can be as honorable as anyone. They might be trained to kill, but they're just people with loved ones to protect and avenge.
- ROCK OF AGES by Steph Bennion - Letters from the past were hidden for a reason. But breaking into the secure facility was child's play compared to an unexpected family reunion...
- THE DINER by Michael Puttonen - Sometimes a life lived hasn't been lived at all.
- HOMELESS by Neil Shooter - Winter didn't end, but his world has. Is he completely alone? In a world gone cold, what can keep the spark of life shining?
- GY by Peter Lean - The Book was the knowledge that could open the door, but the worlds had been separated for a reason...
- IRREVOCABLE by L.J. Hick - He did not accept finality. All he knew was that he had to change the impossible.
- POISONED GROUND by Laurel A. Rockefeller - Lady Abbess Cara of house Ten-Ar must find the cause of a mysterious plague of illnesses before it is too late for the city of Nan-li...
- SASHA AND THE COLLARED GIRL by Stan Morris - The man was willing to trade his prized possession, but she was already lost.
- QUEST FOR THE PURPLE PUMPKIN by Victoria Zigler - A glittering surprise in the woods leads Polly to another world, where just being human is punishable by death...
The Goddess Problem by Sherry D. Ramsey
Glamour of the God-Touched by Ron Collins
A Man and His God by Janet Morris
Unnatural Immortal by Russ Crossley
First Chosen by M. Todd Gallowglas
Walking Gods by Leah Cutter
Rainbow’s Lodestone by J.M. Ney-Grimm
Brainjob by David Sloma
Silver Dust by Leslie Claire Walker
Vale of Semūin by Eric Kent Edstrom
Fate’s Door by J.M. Ney-Grimm
Kaylyn the Sister-in-Darkness by Barbara G.Tarn
The Legend of Oeliana by A. L. Butcher
Jamal & the Skeleton’s Heart by Ezekiel James Boston
- TALES OF ERANA: THE BLUE PHIAL by Alexandra Butcher - A short story from the world of 'The Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles'.
- THE QRIM CHIEFTAIN by Stan Morris - When a haughty princess scorns a barbarian chieftain, her city pays the price.
- ANTIMATTER ME by Steph Bennion - The experiment had not been a success and now time was running out. Or was it running in?
- EXPLAIN THAT TO A MARTIAN by Gary Weston - Drinkers sometimes see all kinds of things. But even I wasn't expecting to see a four-eyed Martian in my lounge...
- THE IMAGINARY INVASION by Ubiquitous Bubba - When our reality is invaded by extra-dimensional beings, imaginary characters may be humanity's only hope.
- THE GUNS OF NAPOLEON by Peter Lean - A professor of history, a mysterious scientific institute and an impossible painting in a story of time travel.
- CAUSALITY by Neil Shooter - A dream of desolation and death. How can this end be a beginning? And how can a dream seem so real?
- NECROMANCER by Emma Faragher - Mal is a necromancer. Now her greatest debt is being called in and her skills are needed. On a murder investigation, no less.
- KIRA by Ross Harrison - Kira's town has so far survived the destruction wrought by the Government on so many others. But for how much longer?
- IN THE LAP OF THE GODS by Steph Bennion - There are those who would stop at nothing to keep certain inventions from becoming a reality.
- MONDAY IMPS by Alexandra Butcher - Have you ever wondered about Mondays? Why is it everything seems to go wrong? There is a simple answer...
- SEPARATE WARS ON THE SAME STREET by Josh Karaczewski - A new war is being fought on the rooftops and alleyways by men in mech suits.
- MESRIN STATION by L. L. Watkin - Jan was never an upstanding citizen, but he was never stupid either; and now they are all in more trouble than they thought...
- HALF-BLOOD by Barbara G. Tarn - Giordano discovers he's a half-blood. His search for his 'real' father will take him farther than he thought.
Table of Contents
1. "The Women of Whale Rock" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
2. "We, the Ocean" by Alexandra Brandt
3. "Oshenerth" by Alan Dean Foster
4. "Deep Dreaming" by Debbie Mumford
5. "Dolphin Knight" by Robert Jeschonek
6. "On Desperate Seas" by Kate MacLeod
7. "Fate's Door" by J.M. Ney-Grimm
8. "The Murky Depths" by Linda Jordan
9. "Dark, From the Sea" by Linda Maye Adams
10. "Ondine" by Brenda Carre
Madness, obsession and the legacy of the past weave their spell in this short, tragic tale based on the Phantom of the Opera.
Approx 8000 words.
Winner of the NN Light Reviewer Award for Fantasy 2019.
Tales of survival and mayhem in and beneath the streets of London – Join the adventures in this dark and diverse Tales of the City Bundle.
Table of Contents
1. "How Smoke Got Out of the Chimneys" by DeAnna Knippling
2. "The Tube Riders: Underground" by Chris Ward
3. "Maybe Tomorrow" by LM Connolly
4. "Cecil Stalks His Prey" by Dayle A. Dermatis
5. "The Lotus and the Barley" by Anthony St. Clair
6. "The Scottish Play" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
7. "Blazing Bodices" by Robert Jeschonek
8. "Watcher’s Day Out" by Shantnu Tiwari
9. "Bridge of Se7en" by Christopher D. Schmitz
10. "The Watcher" by A. L. Butcher
When murder and mystery begin at the Opera House one woman knows who is behind it, and what really lies beneath the mask. Secrets, lies and tragedy sing a powerful song in this 'might have been' tale.
Winner of the NN Light Book Heaven short story award 2020.
Table of Contents
1. "Flower Fairies" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
2. "BrideThief" by Brigid Collins
3. "Feyland: The Dark Realm" by Anthea Sharp
4. "Phouka" by Liz Pierce
5. "The Giving Year" by Alexandra Brandt
6. "Summerland's Paladin" by Diana Benedict
7. "Real Girl" by Leslie Claire Walker
8. "The Troll's Belt" by J.M. Ney-Grimm
9. "The Clockwork Fairy Kingdom" by Leah Cutter
10. "The Kitchen Imps and Other Dark Tales" by A. L. Butcher
11. "Faerie Fruit" by Charlotte E. English
12. "By Winter's Forbidden Rite" by DeAnna Knippling
13. "Dark Dancer" by Jaleta Clegg