Top positive review
Sweet spot for quality and price
Reviewed in the United States on December 18, 2018
The APEC Top Tier 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis system delivers on it's most important function - clean, good tasting water, and it does it at great value. This is a six month review. This 5-stage system includes 1 pre-filter, 2 particulate filters, and 2 micro filters. This gives it large capacity for cleaning silty water, while providing a high-level of purifying for harmful contaminates. The installation materials are comprehensive, and give you all the items needed to install under your sink. It is a moderate difficulty home-owner level install. Figure 2+/- hours if your are replacing a current system, and up to 4 if it's a new install. You will need only basic tools. The exception is if you need to drill a hole in your counter to install the small faucet. That may require special hole saws depending on your counter top material. The actual unit is very compact, and I managed to wedge in between my garbage disposal and cabinet wall (see picture).
I saved water from our old 3-stage system, and compared taste and quality to the new APEC 5-stage system. All of the family agreed the this APEC system delivered superior taste, and higher flow rate. The water was visibly clearer. My experience with a family of 4, and a reverse osmosis system servicing a counter faucet AND the refrigerator ice/water dispenser is that the main large particulate filters last about a year. So I suggest buying a complete set of all 5 filters, plus additional large particulate filters when you purchase the unit. Having these spares on hand will let you get in the habit of changing them regularly.
The included faucet is a solid upgrade over the older style we were using. It's solid, and easy to clean. Flow rate is better than expected. All of the included polyhose is color-coded and connects without tools. The supplied pressure tank can be installed upright or on its side. The included installation materials have water and drain taps used to integrate into your existing supply and drain with minimal fuss.
1) Great value. The price is only slightly more than the cost of buying three replacement filters for an older 3-stage system.
2) Purification level exceeded my expectations. Great tasting water. Like it actually tastes good, maybe even Fiji Water good.
3) Everything (and I mean everything) needed for installation is included. Competent home-owner installation.
4) Very compact unit. Fits in the tightest of spaces.
1) You may need special hole saw tools to install the supplied faucet in your counter top.
2) Expect to lie on your back, under your sink cabinet, and fight for room between drains, sink bowls, and garbage disposals. Some nimbleness is needed.