Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Alex Ebenstein
Alex Ebenstein [eb-en-stine] went to school for environmental science and geography. His mapmaking career helps support his nighttime addiction of writing horror and other sorts of dark speculative fiction. He lives in Michigan with his wife, son, and dog. He has stories published in Shallow Waters Flash Fiction Anthology, Novel Noctule, Tales to Terrify Podcast, and an upcoming anthology from Cemetery Gates Media. Find him on Twitter @AlexEbenstein.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Stories of adventure, mishap, magic, and macabre happenings on All Hallows' Eve.
The night when spirits walk among the living and dead things crawl from their dark hiding places to unleash Halloween Horror.
Featuring stories by:
- Kevin David Anderson
- Patrick Moody
- Ben Hurry
- Patrick Winters
- J.C. Raye
- Robert Allen Lupton
- Paul Stolp
- Jackie Fells
- Kelli A. Wilkins
- Scott McGregor
- Cullen Monk
- Douglas Ford
- Tim Mendees
- Clark Roberts
- Daniel Hale
- E. Seneca
- DJ Tyrer
- Patrick Meegan
- Joe Kogut
- R.C. Mulhare
- Erik Handy
- Alex Ebenstein
Shallow Waters—where nothing stays buried.
With 23 Dark Fiction & Horror tales diving beneath the surface of life, death, and the mystery that lies beneath.
Shallow Waters is the official monthly flash fiction challenge hosted by the award-winning Crystal Lake Publishing. Every month a new challenge is posted online, with authors submitting via email. The best submissions are then posted on Crystal Lake’s Patreon page (an exclusive behind the scenes community of readers and authors), where patrons read daily entries and vote for the winner. What you’ll find in these Shallow Waters anthologies include the winners as well as the most popular of our finalists. Stay tuned for more volumes in this series, or find Crystal Lake Publishing on Patreon to enter or vote on future challenges (or gain access to our Still Water Bay series).
Volume five includes suspenseful stories of horror on the road, war, graveyards, Karma, and Halloween.
Introduction by Joe Mynhardt
“Driving On” by Guy Medley (winner)
“Dichotomy” by Jason Parent
“Babysitting for Writers” by Kevin David Anderson (winner)
“The Good Samaritan” by L.F. Falconer
“Of Debris and Duty” by John Boden
“The Visitors” by Mark Allan Gunnells
“Twenty Reasons to Stay and One to Leave” by Richard Thomas
“The Knights of Cold Days” by Dave Jeffery
“Travel Bag” by Bryan Miller
“In the Desert, In the Night” by Pedro Iniguez
“Grievance” by Christine Lajewski
“Fuel for My Fire” by Linsey Knerl
“The Dead Lands” by Anthony D Redden
“Welcome to Gothmart” by David Bernard
“The Mascot” by Jennifer K Carstens (winner)
“Wasteland” by Sheldon Woodbury
“All’s Fair” by Michelle Mellon
“Stay Away” by Michael Patrick Hicks
“The Road Home” by Rand Eastwood
“Midnight Sun” by James Dorr
“The Wind Stakes Its Claim” by Kris Kinsella
“The Forest of Skin” by Esteban Vargas
“Second Chance” by Alex Ebenstein (winner)
In this volume…
- Traveling can be a mixed bag...especially when something in your travel bag starts moving.
- A woman journeys north for survival.
- Sometimes, working retail is not the worst part of your day.
- In the desert of New Mexico, ancient Navajo legends emerge, only to discover the cruelty of Man.
- An overachieving woman uses twisted methods to feed her need for turmoil.
- A trio of Halloween trick-or-treaters learn that sometimes things slip through.
- A cemetery caretaker with a secret gift, a dead body, and the hope of a second chance.
- Grief can change a person. Literally.
- Someone has a bone to pick with the Deacon.
- Sometimes what lies ahead is more frightening than what was left behind.
- Babysitting can be a tough gig, especially on Halloween
- A father and son venture out into the dead lands to search for the night creatures feasting on the corpses.
- In the distant future an ancient warrior and his ghost ship battle for the fate of the universe.
Featuring stories by:
- Daniel R. Robichaud
- Evan Baughfman
- Jim Mountfield
- Stuart Conover
- Alex Ebenstein
- Sarah Cannavo
- Aaron Morris
- Gordon Grice
- Willow Croft
- Ross Baxter
- P.S. Traum