Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera - scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing "Send link," you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message & data rates may apply.
Bad People: Four terrifying short novels of suspense Hardcover – January 18, 2018
Enhance your purchase
A collection of four critically acclaimed short novels.
Box of Bones - Jim is an American expat teaching English in the Philippines. After a night out with his girlfriend in one of the country's remote provinces, he wakes to find himself in a pitch-black coffin—and quickly running out of oxygen. With only his cell phone and his own wits to rely on, it's a race against time to escape the claustrophobic death trap.
Six Bullets - The end of civilization arrived in the form of a giant asteroid thirteen months ago. For Burt James, a survivalist, it was not a complete surprise. He'd spent much of his adult life prepping for such a catastrophe. Consequently, while the majority of the population scoured the post-apocalyptic landscape for water and food, regressing into primitive killers, he bunkered down in his fortified hilltop home in a small town in the middle of the Australian Outback. But now he's out of food and down to his last six bullets, and he will have to make the most difficult choice of his life.
The Mailman - Los Angeles, 1985. Never was the motto sex, drugs, and rock n' roll more apt than the scene on the legendary Sunset Strip with the arrival of the underground Hollywood glam bands.
While Mick Freeman, a record executive with a major label, works tirelessly to sign five toxic rockers whom he believes might flip the entire music world on its head, his wife, Jade, spends her days bored and alone at home, struggling with a midlife crisis that threatens to topple their twenty-year marriage.
And then she meets the new mailman. Young and handsome, he sweeps her off her feet—straight into a nightmare the likes of which she could never have imagined.
Re-roll - In the near future, breathtakingly humanoid robots called Mechs are for sale, and they're designed to fulfill whatever role you want: husband, wife, best friend, slave. Manufacturers allow new owners one free "roll" to randomly determine their Mech's three leading characteristics. But as everybody knows, scoring your ideal traits is a crapshoot, though you can always re-roll—at a price.
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now
"Jeremy Bates writes like a deviant angel I'm glad doesn't live on my shoulder"—Christian Galacar, author of GILCHRIST
"The perfect antidote to a restful night's sleep, The Sleep Experiment is a fast-paced thriller that will keep the pages turning late into the night"—Steven Sayers, author of THE SOUL DWELLER
"Jeremy Bates is a skilled weaver of nightmares"—Ambrose Ibsen, author of THEHAUNTING OF BEACON HILL
"Jeremy Bates knows scary. You're going to have a good time with whatever he writes"—Jeff Menapace, author of BAD GAMES
"A compelling and provocative read. One cannot help but wonder how important sleep really is"—Booklist
"[Bates] is the real deal. He is a bit of a mix of Stephen King and Richard Laymon. You won't regret your purchase"—Amazon Top Contributor
"I keep hearing this author being compared to the likes of Stephen King or Dean Koontz. I think [he] should be known for his OWN style of writing"—Amazon Reviewer
"Will remind readers what chattering teeth sound like"—Kirkus Reviews
"Voracious readers of horror will delightfully consume the contents of Bates's World's Scariest Places books"—BookLife Prize
"Creatively creepy and sure to scare"—The Japan Times
"Thriller fans and readers of Stephen King, Joe Lansdale, and other masters of the art will find much to love"—Midwest Book Review
"An ice-cold thriller full of mystery, suspense, fear"—David Moody, author of HATER and AUTUMN
"I have long been a fan of Dean Koontz, Stephen King, and Frank Peretti and I feel confident that I can now add Jeremy Bates to that list"—Reader Views
"Will delight horror fans who want their novels steeped in psychological suspense as well as action"—Midwest Book Review
"A page-turner in the true sense of the word"—HorrorAddicts
"Will make your skin crawl"—Scream Magazine
"Told with an authoritative voice full of heart and insight"—Richard Thomas, Bram Stoker nominated author
"Grabs and doesn't let go until the end"—Writer's Digest
"A horror writer to watch"—True Review
"Bates offers a truly chilling tale that reminds readers that humans can be the worst type of monster to fear, after all"—BookLife Prize
"Would make a great screenplay!"—Suspense Magazine
"Bates doesn't miss a trick"—Glenn Kleier, New York Times bestselling author
"Bates knows how to creep into his reader's mind and toy around"—Horror Palace
"Something to give you chills before you go to bed"—San Francisco Book Review
"Excellent!"—Andrew Peterson, international bestselling author of FIRST TO KILL
"Reads like a combination of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and Clive Barker"—Midwest Book Review
"Invites you to read it in one sitting"—Hellnotes
From the Author
- Winner, "Reader Views Literary Awards" Horror Novel Award, 2018-2019, for "Mountain of the Dead."
- Finalist, "Aurealis Award for Excellence in Speculative Fiction" Horror Novella Award, 2017,for "The Mailman."
- Finalist, "Australian Horror Writers Association" Shadows Award, 2017, for "The Mailman."
- Winner, "Foreword INDIES" Horror Book of the Year Award Gold Medal, 2016, for "Island of the Dolls."
- Finalist, "Next Generation Indie Book Awards" Horror Novel Award, 2017, for "Island of the Dolls."
- Finalist, "The Skoutz Award" German Horror Award, 2017, for "Suicide Forest."
- Finalist,"Aurealis Award for Excellence in Speculative Fiction" Horror Novella Award, 2016, for "Box of Bones."
- Finalist, "Australian Horror Writers Association" Shadows Award, 2016, for "Box of Bones."
- Winner, "Crime Writers of Canada" Arthur Ellis Award/The Lou Allen Memorial Award, 2016,for "Black Canyon."
- Winner, "Australian Horror Writers Association" Shadows Award, 2015, for "The Catacombs."
- Winner, "IPPY(Independent Publisher Book Awards)" Bronze Medal/Horror, 2016, for "The Catacombs."
- Finalist, "Next Generation Indie Book Awards" Horror Novella Award, 2016, for "Black Canyon."
- Winner, "Reader Views Literary Award" Global Award, 2014-2015, for "Suicide Forest."
- Honorable Mention, "Reader Views Literary Award" Mystery/Thriller/Suspense/Horror Award,2014-2015, for "Suicide Forest."
- Finalist, "Goodreads Choice Awards" 2015, for "Suicide Forest."
- Finalist," Australian Horror Writers Association" Shadows Award, 2014, for "Suicide Forest."
- Finalist, "Foreword INDIES" Horror Book of the Year Award, 2014, for "Suicide Forest."
- Finalist, "Foreword INDIES" Thriller & Suspense Book of the Year Award,2012, for "White Lies."
- Publisher : Ghillinnein Books (January 18, 2018)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 303 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1988091349
- ISBN-13 : 978-1988091341
- Item Weight : 1.1 pounds
- Dimensions : 6 x 0.95 x 9 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #1,947,847 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews: