Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Barbara Mitchell
An influencer in the business and HRCommunities, she is a frequent speaker to business groups and has bee n quoted in major publications including The Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, Forbes, The New York Times, The Globe & Mail, Fast Company, the Chicago Tribune, and Newsday.she's been interviewed on radio in major markets around the US and contributed to numerous blogs and websites including fast company.com, Forbes.com, INC.com, Entrprepreneur.com, ChiefExecutive.net, and Trainingindustry.com.
Barbara is an active volunteer who has served on numerous national and local boards and is a video Docent at The Smithsonian American Art Museum.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Since 2008, busy managers by the tens of thousands have turned to this best-selling book as a handy guide to the ins and outs of human resources. And no wonder! Because whether you're a small business owner, a manager in a business without an HR department, or even a seasoned HR professional, The Essential HR Handbook will help you handle any personnel problem--from onboarding to outplacement--quickly and easily. This fully updated 10th anniversary edition is packed with information, tools, checklists, sample forms, and timely tips to guide you through the maze of personnel issues in today's complex business environment.
In it you'll find out how to:
- Attract talented staff through social media recruiting
- Identify legal pitfalls to avoid lawsuits and regulatory interference
- Train a diverse and inclusive multigenerational workforce
- Provide the compensation and benefits package that will make your organization an "employer of choice"
- Streamline your orientation and onboarding practices so new employees hit the ground running
Whenever personnel problems arise, having The Essential HR Handbook on your bookshelf is like having a team of expert HR consultants at your beck and call!
Each topic covered includes information on associated legal issues--such as the recent changes to the Fair Labor Standards Act's overtime regulations--and stories from leading organizations to illustrate the positive impact human resources can have on organizations of any size. Each chapter ends with discussion questions to encourage additional thought. Sample forms and templates plus a list of additional resources are also included.
The latest edition of The Big Book of HR includes up-to-date information about how to:
Some situations are unpredictable, and you can't plan for every conversation--but having the right words on hand empowers you to stand up to conflict rather than run from it. The more you practice confronting and even embracing conflict, the stronger that habit will become and the less likely you will feel like fleeing from a difficult situation.
The Conflict Resolution Phrase Book is a great resource that everyone should have at their fingertips to approach any difficult situation with the assurance that the words will come out right! You will learn:
- Positive things to say when you're initiating or responding to a difficult conversation.
- How to find and craft language to start a conversation.
- The right words for you to positively influence the situation.
Congratulations, you're a manager! Of course you have expertise in the field you're managing, but what about everything else? There's so much more to know!
Whether you're a new or seasoned manager, your responsibilities can become overwhelming at times. There are days and new situations that will leave you feeling vulnerable. You don't know where to start or even what to ask!
The Manager's Answer Book can help. In question-and-answer format, this easy-to-use guide provides information on many aspects of managing. You will learn about:
- Getting started: moving from peer to manager, setting goals, managing projects, resources, and much more.
- Developing your management skills: communicating, delegating, motivating, and facilitating.
- Building and managing your team: hiring, firing, and everything in between.
- Creating your personal brand: building credibility for yourself, your team, and your department.
- Managing up, down, and around: working with people and functions in your organization.
- Potential land mines: conflict, change, and risk.
- Legal pitfalls: navigating the miasma of laws and regulations.
Using examples drawn from a wide range of corporate and entrepreneurial experiences, along with checklists and other practical tools, The Essential Workplace Conflict Handbook will help employees, managers at all levels, and business owners answer the following important questions:
- What's changing in the workplace and the workforce today?
- Are the right issues being addressed?
- How can we create more options to solve conflicts?
- What's my conflict style, and why is it important?
- How should I set and manage expectations?
- What happens when disruptive behavior gets out of control?