To title an album as "The Best of AR Rahman", it would require at least 6 CDs. This is a great selection and encompases some of Bollywood's best performances between 2000-2005. What's missing are Rahman's compositions written between 1992-1999 and after 2005.
Included Is "Gurus of Peace", a 1997 collaboration with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. This Indo-Pak joint venture certainly destroys the myth that Muslims have not made a significant contribution to the music scene. The fusion of Khan's Sufi influenced Qawhal/Ghazal and Rahman's South Indian infused Bollywood should be given greater recognition which it duly deserves. It is performed by both men in Hindi and English.
This album would be a good introduction to non-Indian listeners because it covers a wide spectrum of popular performers: Chitra, Asha Bhonsle, Sukwinder Singh, et al.
- Release Date:
- Label: Sony Music Entertainment
- Copyright: (P) 2009 2009 Sony Music Entertainment India Pvt. Ltd.
- Record Company Required Metadata: Music file metadata contains unique purchase identifier. Learn more.
- Total Length: 1:13:44
- ASIN: B001TO9LJ2
- Customer Reviews: 36 customer ratings
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #737,447 Paid in Albums (See Top 100 Paid in Albums)