Better Off Dead
After his girlfriend (Amanda Wyss) ditches him for a boorish ski jock, Lane (John Cusak) decides that suicide is the only answer. However, his increasingly inept attempts bring him only more agony and embarrassment. Filled with the wildest teen nightmares, a family you can't help but identify with and a host of wonderful comic characters, Savage Steve Holland's writing/directorial debut is a masterful look at those painfully funny teen years.
- Aspect Ratio : 1.66:1
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer : No
- MPAA rating : s_medPG PG (Parental Guidance Suggested)
- Product Dimensions : 7.75 x 5.75 x 0.53 inches; 4 Ounces
- Item model number : 871914
- Director : Savage Steve Holland
- Media Format : Multiple Formats, Closed-captioned, Color, NTSC, Subtitled, Widescreen
- Run time : 1 hour and 37 minutes
- Release date : July 16, 2002
- Actors : John Cusack, David Ogden Stiers, Kim Darby, Demian Slade, Scooter Stevens
- Subtitles: : English
- Producers : Andrew Meyer, Gil Friesen, Michael Jaffe, William Strom
- Language : Unqualified
- Studio : Paramount
- ASIN : B00005JKFA
- Writers : Savage Steve Holland
- Number of discs : 1
- Best Sellers Rank: #2,728 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
- Customer Reviews:
Reviews with images
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The Blu-Ray brings the original film to your home with excellent color and clarity. The first time I watched this was in 1986, on VHS, and this looks so much better than I ever remembered it. The animated scenes pop with vivid color, and the original 35mm print seems to have been given the white glove treatment during the digital transfer to yield a high-quality 1080p rendering. It isn't a big-budget sci-fi film, so don't expect something to just blow your socks off visually, but the picture has held up very well over the years.
I love to pull this one out one or two times a year for a watch.
Great with friends that have already seen it,
with friends that haven't,
or just when I want a laugh even when no one else is around.
Only strike against it is its not available for the "Disc to Digital" program where you scan the bar code and pay $2 for an HDX digital copy (through Vudu).
It seems it's not available in Digital form at all which is a shame for such a great movie.
Top reviews from other countries
David Ogden Stiers (Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester III, for those of you old enough to remember MASH) as his Dad needs a dictionary to communicate with his son. Charles de Mar (Curtis Armstrong) lends great support as his top hat wearing, snow snorting friend and the paper boy is a real star!
A quirky comedy and one which you'll want to watch over and over.