Beyond the Pale: A Fantasy Anthology Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
Beyond the Pale is an anthology of 12 dark fantasy and paranormal stories that skirt the border between our world and others. Was that my imagination, or did I hear something under my bed? What was that blurred movement in my darkened closet? There is but a thin veil separating the real and the fantastic and therein dwell the inhabitants of these stories.
Beyond the Pale's award-winning and The New York Times best-selling authors present:
- "Hooves and the Hovel of Abdel Jameela" by Saladin Ahmed (author of Throne of the Crescent Moon)
- "The Children of the Shark God" by Peter S. Beagle (author of The Last Unicorn series)
- "Misery" and "Shadow Children" by Heather (Zac) Brewer (author of the Vladimir Tod series)
- "Even Hand" by Jim Butcher (author of the Dresden Files series)
- "Death Warmed Over" by Rachel Caine (author of the Weather Warden series)
- "Red Run" by Kami Garcia (coauthor of Beautiful Creatures)
- "Pale Rider" and "The Adventures of Lightning Merriemouse-Jones" by Nancy Holder (author of Wicked)
- "Frost Child" and "South" by Gillian Philip (author of the Rebel Angels series)
- "A Knot of Toads" by Jane Yolen (author of Owl Moon)
The noun “pale” refers to a stake (as in, one used for impaling vampires) or pointed piece of wood (as in, a paling fence). “Pale” came to refer to an area enclosed by a paling fence. Later, it acquired the figurative meaning of an enclosed, and therefore, safe domain. Conversely, "beyond the pale" means foreign, strange, or threatening. You are about to go beyond the pale.
Cover art by Abigail Larson. Edited by Henry Herz.
People who viewed this also viewed
People who bought this also bought
Related to this topic
|Listening Length||9 hours and 11 minutes|
|Author||Jim Butcher, Saladin Ahmed, Peter Beagle, Heather Brewer, Kami Garcia, Nancy Holder, Gillian Philip, Jane Yolen, Rachel Caine|
|Whispersync for Voice||Ready|
|Audible.com Release Date||February 11, 2020|
|Publisher||Birch Tree Publishing|
|Best Sellers Rank|| #63,592 in Audible Books & Originals (See Top 100 in Audible Books & Originals) |
#126 in Fantasy Anthologies & Short Stories (Audible Books & Originals)
#185 in Science Fiction Anthologies & Short Stories
#270 in Literature Anthologies
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Definitely would recommend this to fans of fantasy.
Also: If you read this, and like it, I'd highly recommend checking out the works of KW Taylor (she is on Goodreads & Amazon- find her!). As I was reading this, I noted that several of her own short stories would easily slide into this collection.
The four stars come from the compilation of other tales. All are good, but some are better than others, at least to my taste. I won't go into detail here other than to say that the overall book is worth the read, and you might even find a gem that you will truly enjoy.