Other Sellers on Amazon
Booked (The Crossover Series) Hardcover – Illustrated, April 5, 2016
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
From the Publisher
|The Crossover||Booked||Rebound||The Playbook|
|Read All the Books in the Crossover Series||Twelve-year-old twins and basketball stars Josh and Jordan Bell must learn to deal with problems on and off the court as they navigate homework, first crushes, family and, of course, basketball.||Soccer, family, love, and friendship take the field as twelve-year-old Nick learns the power of words as he wrestles with problems at home, stands up to a bully, and tries to impress the girl of his dreams.||The dynamic prequel to Kwame Alexander's Newbery Award–winning novel in verse, The Crossover.||You gotta know the rules to play the game. Ball is life. Take it to the hoop. Soar. An inspirational book full of poetry and inspiring lessons about the rules of life.|
|The Crossover Graphic Novel||Booked Graphic Novel||The Crossover Series Boxed Set|
|Kwame Alexander's The Crossover is vividly brought to life as a graphic novel with stunning illustrations by star talent Dawud Anyabwile.||An electric and heartfelt follow-up to Newbery Medal–winner The Crossover, from the dynamic team behind the graphic novel edition.||For the first time, the Crossover series, three explosive novels in verse about sports and family, is available in one paperback boxed set.|
From School Library Journal
2017 ILA-CBC Children's Choice List
Book Links’ Lasting Connections 2016
Kirkus Best of 2016
Nerdy Book Club Nerdies 2016 Poetry/Novels in Verse
New York Times Bestseller
San Francisco Chronicle Best of 2016
Washington Post Best of 2016
BookPage Best of 2016
"A novel about a soccer-obsessed tween boy written entirely in verse? In a word, yes.Kwame Alexander has the magic to pull off this unlikely feat, both as a poet and as a storyteller. " —The Chicago Tribune
"This lively, touching middle school soccer story is full of fun." —Common Sense Media
* "A satisfying, winning read." —Kirkus, STARRED review
* "Alexander skillfully juggles verse styles to realistically capture Nick's humor and smarts, passion for soccer, and vulnerability when being bullied, having surgery, or facing his parents' troubled marriage. Emotionally resonant and with a pace like a player on a breakaway..." — Publishers Weekly, STARRED review
* "Alexander understands reluctant readers deeply, and here hands them a protagonist who is himself a smart, reading-averse kid who just wants to enjoy the words that interest him on his own terms. With accessible poetic forms and engaging formatting, Booked ’s pages will be turned swiftly and enthusiastically." — Horn BookMagazine, STARRED review
* "Middle-school readers and their advocates will surely love Alexander’s joyous word play and celebration of reading." — Booklist, STARRED review
"Newbery-winning poet Alexander once again brings to life a novel in verse that equally captures the rapid-fire excitement of a soccer match and the palpable pain of a young boy whose family is falling apart. Another winning goal for Alexander and middle school readers alike." —School Library Journal
"This is a fantastic book with a never-ending supply of new words like “onomatophobia” and “yobbery” that will leave readers full of new words and ideas. This is an absolute must-have for any library serving tweens." — VOYA
"A powerful story that will leave the reader breathless, right to the very end." —BookPage Children's Top Pick
- Publisher : HMH Books for Young Readers; Illustrated edition (April 5, 2016)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 320 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0544570987
- ISBN-13 : 978-0544570986
- Reading age : 10 - 12 years
- Lexile measure : 660L
- Grade level : 5 - 7
- Item Weight : 15.4 ounces
- Dimensions : 8.25 x 5 x 1.08 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #141,687 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Reviews with images
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
After reading this book we found others by the same Author, and my teenager has been just as engaged.
Highly recommend! My 13yo is not a reader, but Kwame helped inspire him to be one.
I teach 6th grade, and so many of my boys this year were obsessed with Kwame Alexander's books. They were asking each other to borrow the book after the current reader was done. For 11-12 year old boys to create their own waitlist for a book is a huge win!