- Create your FREE Amazon Business account to save up to 10% with Business-only prices and free shipping.
Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera - scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing "Send link," you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message & data rates may apply.
Civil Disobedience Paperback – December 6, 2011
Enhance your purchase
Frequently bought together
Special offers and product promotions
About the Author
- Publisher : Empire Books (December 6, 2011)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 32 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1619490927
- ISBN-13 : 978-1619490925
- Item Weight : 2.08 ounces
- Dimensions : 6 x 0.08 x 9 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #100,244 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Thoreau wrote this in opposition to slavery and the Mexican War but it is full of parallels and lessons for us today. Most especially useful and relevant is his tracing of the responsibility, that those who vote, share for the atrocities committed by those they vote for.
If you vote in a corrupt society, Thoreau makes you a murderer, a rapist, a thief. I could not agree more and was happy to find this herein. He does not simply advocate a boycotting of the vote, however, but calls for the revolutionary overthrow of corrupt society, through the direct action and resistance of those who are just.
There is no "lesser evil" or middle ground in Thoreau's worldview. You are just, and you are actively working to overthrow the system, or you are evil.
I cannot recommend this book enough. It will take you only a few hours to read it and it will embed itself in the foundations of your political reasoning.
Though the Anarchists claim Thoreau, I think he would have favored Marx to Bakunin.
Yes many but today we need Statesmen, not politicians.
Our wonderful US Constitution is under at attack by evil doing Americans and immigrant aliens.
We recognize that there are changes that need to be made?
Starting with abolishing and/or amending the 16th Amendment,
The cause of all of modern day problems may start with:
1. the 16th Amendment, the U.S. Dollar, which is the Federal Reserve Note and
2. having a currency that can be inflated any time the FED wants too.
3. Abolish the Federal Reserve, incorporate it under the Dept of Treasury,
4. bring in the Comptroller of the Currency, and various Federal Agencies and
5. Departments of Government to manage a new currency based on the value of Gold and Silver.
6. Use Lincoln's Formula of the "Greenback Dollar" to creat 200-Trillion in debt instruments and redemeans over the next 200-years.
7. Let the nation go forward with the New U.S. Dollar back by GOLD AND SILVER.