Top critical review
NOT FOR SEWING!
Reviewed in the United States on May 4, 2020
Bought this for cutting fabric with a rotary cutter but there are many things wrong with it.
1. The mat surface is too hard so it damages the cutting wheel, causing it to skip every 4 inches. Ruined 3 wheels (which are expensive) before I figured out it was caused by the mat. Went back to using an old Fiskars mat and problem solved!
2. It is not self-healing. Every single cut remains and grabs fibers, contributing to uneven cuts and a messy board.
3. The surface is brittle and slick, so the cutting wheel slips around. Exactly what you don't want when aiming for precise fabric pieces. Other boards have a more rubbery surface which gives the wheel better grip.
4. The markings are not usable. The inch markings are only on the left side, so by the time you look 34" to the right, you can't tell if it is straight. Also, the grid lines are all the same thickness, so it is easy to be offset by 1/2" and not even know it. Other boards use different thicknesses for the grid lines, to denote whole and half inches.
Also, the metric markings that are provided are useless because they don't align with the grid. Centimeters and inches are not equivalent.
5. The mat is 24" by 36" but the measuring surface is only 22" by 34". For fabric, two common measuring requirements are 22.5" (because fabric width is typically 45" folded in half) and 36" in length. This cutting board falls short on both counts, making it much less useful for fabric.
Definitely do NOT recommend this for sewing. I'm returning the board to Amazon and will purchase a brand that specializes in sewing products.