Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Dan Gookin
Perhaps his most famous title is the original DOS For Dummies, published in 1991. It became the world's fastest-selling computer book, at one time moving more copies per week than the New York Times #1 bestseller (though as a reference, it could not be listed on the NYT Bestseller list). From that book spawned the entire line of For Dummies books, which remains a publishing phenomena to this day.
Dan's most popular titles include Word For Dummies, Android Phones and Tablets For Dummies, Laptops For Dummies, PCs For Dummies. He also maintains the vast and helpful Web site, www.wambooli.com.
Dan holds a degree in Communications/Visual Arts from the University of California, San Diego. Presently, he lives in the Pacific Northwest, where he enjoys spending time with his sons playing video games inside while they watch the gentle woods of Idaho.
Customers Also Bought Items By
The bestselling beginner’s guide to Microsoft Word
Whether you've used older versions of this popular program or have never processed a single word, this hands-on guide gets you going with the latest version of Microsoft Word. In no time, you'll begin editing, formatting, proofing, and dressing up your Word documents like a pro.
In this leading book about the world’s number one word processing application, Dan Gookin talks about using Microsoft Word in friendly, easy-to-follow terms. Focusing on the needs of the beginning Word user, it provides everything you need to know about Word—without any painful jargon.
- Covers the new and improved features found in the latest version of Word
- Create your own templates
- Explains why you can’t always trust the spell checker
- Offers little-known keyboard shortcuts
If you’re new to Word and want to spend more time on your actual work rather than figuring out how to make it work for you, this new edition of Word X For Dummies has you covered.
Need a PC problem fixed in a pinch? Presto! Troubleshooting & Maintaining Your PC All-in-One For Dummies offers 5 books in 1 and takes the pain out of wading through those incomprehensible manuals, or waiting for a high-priced geek to show up days or weeks after you need them. Arming you with everything you need to get that pesky PC working for you ASAP, this handy guide walks you through all the steps to restoring whatever's making your PC go rogue —so you can get back to making it work for you.
There's nothing worse than firing up your PC only to discover it's inexplicably unresponsive. With this guide, you'll gain all the skills and insight you need to need to bring it back to life —and to prevent it from ever leaving you in the lurch again.
- Find out what's behind common PC problems
- Solve email and web woes, both big and small
- Perform regular maintenance and get serious about backups
- Troubleshoot to find solutions to your issues and learn proper maintenance to head off future headaches!
Your PC problems aren't as big as you think! Take matters into your own hands with the helpful instruction provided inside this book!
If you're a professional who uses Word, but aren't aware of its many features or get confused about how they work best, Word 2016 For Professionals For Dummies answers all your burning questions about the world's number-one word processing software. Offering in-depth coverage of topics you won't find in Word 2016 For Dummies, this guide focuses on the professional's needs, giving you all you need to know not only do your job well, but to do it even better.
As Microsoft continues to hone Word with each new release, new features are added beyond basic word processing. From using Word to create blog posts to importing data from Excel to expertly flowing text around objects, it covers the gamut of Word's more advanced capabilities—including those you probably don't know exist. Whether you're looking to use Word to build a master document, collaborate and share, publish an ebook, or anything in between, the thorough, step-by-step guidance in Word 2016 For Professionals For Dummies makes it easier.
- Discover neat Word editing tips and tricks to create complex documents
- Share documents and collaborate with others
- Format text, paragraphs, and pages like never before
- Add Excel charts and graphics to Word documents
- Create an ebook
Essential reading for the Word power user who wants to be more productive and efficient at work, this handy guide gives you the boost to take your skills to the next level.
Written by the author of the first-ever For Dummies book, Dan Gookin, this new edition of Word For Dummies quickly and painlessly gets you up to speed on mastering the world's number-one word processing software. In a friendly, human, and often irreverent manner, it focuses on the needs of the beginning Word user, offering clear and simple guidance on everything you need to know about Microsoft Word 2016, minus the chin-scratching tech jargon.
Whether you've used older versions of this popular program or have never processed a single word, this hands-on guide will get you going with the latest installment of Microsoft Word. In no time, you'll begin editing, formatting, proofing, and dressing up your Word documents like a pro. Plus, you'll get easy-to-follow guidance on mastering more advanced skills, like formatting multiple page elements, developing styles, building distinctive templates, and adding creative flair to your documents with images and tables.
- Covers the new and improved features found in the latest version of the software, Word 2016
- Shows you how to master a word processor's seven basic tasks
- Explains why you can't always trust the spell checker
- Offers little-known keyboard shortcuts
If you're new to Word and want to spend more time on your actual work than figuring out how to make it work for you, this new edition of Word 2016 For Dummies has you covered.
Your smartphone is essentially your lifeline—so it's no wonder you chose a simple-to-use, fun-to-customize, and easy-to-operate Android. Cutting through intimidating jargon and covering all the features you need to know about your Android phone, this down-to-earth guide arms you with the knowledge to set up and configure your device, get up and running with texting and emailing, access the Internet, navigate with GPS, synch with a PC, and so much more.
Whether you're new to Android phones or have just upgraded to a new model, Android Phones For Dummies makes it fast and easy to make your new smartphone your minion. Written by bestselling author Dan Gookin, it walks you through the basics in a language you can understand before moving on to more advanced topics, like dialing tricks to forward calls, working with predictive text, accessing special characters, manipulating the touch screen, and using a USB connection to synchronize your stuff.
- Set up your phone and configure its settings
- Play games, listen to music, and start shooting photos and videos
- Join the conversation and have fun with social media
- Make your life easier with Google Voice typing
No matter how you slice it, life with an Android phone is more organized and fun—and this book shows you how to make the most of it.
Completely updated to cover the latest technology and software, the 13th edition of PCs For Dummies tackles using a computer in friendly, human terms. Focusing on the needs of the beginning computer user, while also targeting those who are familiar with PCs, but need to get up to speed on the latest version of Windows. This hands-on guide takes the dread out of working with a personal computer.
Leaving painful jargon and confusing terminology behind, it covers Windows 10 OS, connecting to and using services and data in the cloud, and so much more. Written by Dan Gookin, the original For Dummies author, it tells you how to make a PC purchase, what to look for in a new PC, how to work with the latest operating system, ways to protect your files, what you can do online, media management tips, and even basic topics you're probably too shy to ask a friend about.
- Determine what you need in a PC and how to set it up
- Configure your PC, hook up a printer, and connect to the Internet
- Find your way around Windows 10 OS with ease and confidence
- Play movies and music, view photos, and explore social media
If you're a first-time PC user at home or at work or just need to brush up on the latest technological advancements, the new edition of this bestselling guide gets you up and running fast.
- Covers everything users need to get up to speed on C programming, including advanced topics to take their programming skill to the next level
- Walks C programmers through the entire development cycle of a C program-designing and developing the program, writing source code, compiling the code, linking the code to create the executable programs, debugging, and deployment
- Provides thorough coverage of keywords, program flow, conditional statements, constants and variables, numeric values, arrays, strings, functions, pointers, debugging, prototyping, and much more
- Addresses some advanced programming topics such as graphics and game programming as well as Windows and Linux programming
- Includes dozens of sample programs that readers can adapt and modify for their own uses
- Written by the author of the first-ever For Dummies book-a man known for his ability to take complex material and present it in a way that makes it simple and fun
Learn the basics of programming with C with this fun and friendly guide!
C offers a reliable, strong foundation for programming and serves as a stepping stone upon which to expand your knowledge and learn additional programming languages. Written by veteran For Dummies author Dan Gookin, this straightforward-but-fun beginner's guide covers the fundamentals of using C and gradually walks you through more advanced topics including pointers, linked lists, file I/O, and debugging. With a special focus on the subject of an Integrated Development Environment, it gives you a solid understanding of computer programming in general as you learn to program with C.
- Encourages you to gradually increase your knowledge and understanding of C, with each chapter building off the previous one
- Provides you with a solid foundation of understanding the C language so you can take on larger programming projects, learn new popular programming languages, and tackle new topics with confidence
- Includes more than 100 sample programs with code that are adaptable to your own projects
Beginning Programming with C For Dummies assumes no previous programming language experience and helps you become competent and comfortable with the fundamentals of C in no time.
Get ready to run for—and win—that local election!
In the land of opportunity, just about anyone who qualifies as an elector can seek public office. Some do it on a whim, some are urged to run, and some want to use their time and talents to make a difference in their local community.
If you want to know how to prepare for a run, which steps to take beforehand, and how the process goes from announcement to campaigning to election day to the swearing-in ceremony—this book has you covered.
- Find out what it’s like to run for local office as a first-time candidate
- Explore the introspection required and the study necessary to make such a run effective
- Deal with marketing, fundraising, interacting with the public, and dealing with opponents
- Encourage and help others to make a run for local office
Though only one person ultimately wins a seat, nobody does it without a wide network of support. Running For Local Office For Dummies is your ticket to navigating every step on the road to winning that election.
Are you new to the world of laptops? You've come to the right place! Laptops For Dummies covers the many topics and issues unique to laptops, including synchronizing with the desktop, coordinating email pick-up between two machines, remotely accessing the desktop, networking, power management, storage, security, and more. This new edition also provides updates to cover the latest technology, current processors, and steps to update memory and hard drive capacities.
In business—while they spend most of their time in a desktop docking station—laptops are absolutely essential for providing mobility to professionals. In the home, they've begun to replace desktop PCs, as they now offer larger displays, longer battery power, and speeds equal to desktop computers. Plus, you can do just about everything with a laptop that you can do with a traditional desktop, minus the big, bulky machine and multiple cords. If you're just making the switch over to a laptop, this hands-on, easy-to-follow guide makes the transition easy!
- Covers the latest hardware and technology updates you need to get up and running with your laptop
- Includes updates on the new Windows 10 operating system, wireless networking, smartphone tethering, and using productivity applications on laptops
- Walks you through everything you need to deal with add-ons, networking procedures, and connectivity and communication
- Presents complex material in a way that makes it simple and accessible
Whether you've never logged onto a laptop or are just looking to stay up-to-date with the latest information on operating systems and software, Laptops For Dummies has you covered.
This book has all the information and entertainment you'd expect from a Gookin book. From the author and creator of the original For Dummies title, "DOS For Dummies," as well as multitudinous other books, including "Beginning Programming With C For Dummies."
A vast improvement over the original Galaxy Tab, the 10.1 uses the latest version of the Android operating system and is a 4G LTE mobile device. These upgrades—along with many others, including the better screen quality, better web browsing with Flash, and better multitasking capabilities—are all covered in this fun and friendly guide to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Everything from how-to topics to the most useful features to helpful tricks and techniques, this practical guide shows you how to get the most out of this cutting-edge device.
- Details how the Galaxy Tab 10.1 goes one step further than the iPad with phone communications plus video chat and conferencing
- Explains in detail how to find your way around the Galaxy Tab 10.1
- Covers e-mailing, web browsing, using the digital library, connecting with friends in the galaxy, taking photos with the camera, and enjoying music
- Highlights how to customize your Galaxy Tab 10.1 so that it's right for your needs
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 For Dummies is must-have reading for anyone who wants to go beyond the basics and explore another galaxy of tablet computing!