Follow the Author
The Fabulous Lost & Found and the little Russian mouse: heartwarming & fun bilingual English Russian book to learn Russian for kids Paperback – March 17, 2020
Enhance your purchase
A little mouse walks into the Lost & Found, but can only speak Russian. How will Mr and Mrs Frog figure out what the mouse is missing…? Aimed at children aged 2-7, the unique ‘Story-powered language learning method’ combines humour, story and emotion to gently and memorably introduce kids to more than forty simple and fun Russian words and phrases. “The kids were so busy laughing they didn’t realise they were learning.” Kyle Buchannan, Dad of two, London. It’s a bilingual children’s book with a difference, that helps lay the foundations of a love of languages.
“I love that I can introduce my kids to a new language without it feeling like homework.” Zoe Reynolds, UK
“Let’s read it again.” Noah, aged 4.5
"Utterly charming story, making use of children’s natural approach to learning language” Madalena Xanthopoulou, Founder, The Alma Collective. Expert on raising multilingual children.
"A wonderful book to introduce a new language into the classroom. Lots to talk about and really captIvating illustratIons." Rohan Plunkett, Deputy Head, Akiva Primary School.
How does the Story Powered Language Learning Method work?
Unlike a Russian picture dictionary, traditional bilingual Russian English books or other Russian bilingual books, the Fabulous Lost and Found uses the ‘Story-powered Language Learning Method’ to teach Russian to kids by tapping into a child’s natural abilities. There are three steps:
- We create an emotionally engaging and funny story for children and adults to enjoy together, just like any of the other Russian books for children. Studies show that social interaction, like enjoying a book together, is critical in language learning.
- Through this Russian for kids story, we introduce a relatable character who speaks only in the new language. This helps build empathy and a positive attitude towards people who speak different languages. These are both important aspects in laying the foundations for lasting language acquisition in a child’s life.
- As the story in this Russian picture book progresses, the child naturally works with the characters to discover the meanings of a wide range of fun new words and phrases. Strategic use of humour ensures that this subconscious learning is rewarded with laughter; the child feels good and the first seeds of a lifelong love of language are sown.
Message from the Author
Mark Pallis There is a special magic about learning words another language and using them: I truly think it warms the heart. I've learnt jokes or songs in ten languages so far and it's brought me so much joy. This Russian book for children is first and foremost a really enjoyable story, but it's also my way of helping little learners engage with a new language, empathise with strangers and ultimately build a love of languages. And it happens without them realising. Any parent who has ever tried to smuggle vegetables into pasta sauce will know that you can get a lot of good stuff into things without kids realising. This book is the same! I want you all to have fun together and enjoy the story. All the learning is a bonus; the icing on the cake (or the extra veg in the sauce!). The idea that after a few reads, kids will be able to go up to a native speaker and tell them in their own language: 'I've lost my hat' fills me with joy. Imagine how proud the child will feel. And imagine how proud you'll feel too! I hope you have as much fun reading it as I had writing it. I hope this helps you learn Russian for kids. With best wishes, Mark
Inspire a love of reading with Amazon Book Box for Kids
Discover delightful children's books with Amazon Book Box, a subscription that delivers new books every 1, 2, or 3 months — new Amazon Book Box Prime customers receive 15% off your first box. Sign up now
About the Author
Mark Pallis is a lifelong lover of language. He was originally a lawyer but switched to the creative sector and devised the award winning BBC TV drama Garrow's Law and served as Story Editor over its three series. Since then, Mark built up 15 years' experience in communication, branding and storytelling, including as Creative Director of a busy London ad agency, writing episodes for the Daytime Emmy winning Tales of Peter Rabbit and sitting on the Executive Committee of the Children's Media Foundation. He is represented by the BKS Agency and his first children's book 'Crab and Whale' has been translated into five languages. He lives with his wife and two young children.
- Publisher : Neu Westend Press (March 17, 2020)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 36 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1913595080
- ISBN-13 : 978-1913595081
- Reading age : Baby - 7 years
- Item Weight : 3.84 ounces
- Dimensions : 8.5 x 0.09 x 8.5 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #71,766 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I wish there were more books like this!