Why? Because if you're here, you probably already saw the movie and are just curious about this release version. So I'll tell you about it.
First, the good:
- Comes with the official movie soundtrack. I mean the FULL soundtrack, it's a separate disc.
- Video transfer is done a lot better than the original DVD release.
- Case is designed a lot more appealing than the standard black and blue.
- Audio is better encoded and easier to hear at lower volumes.
- Lots of extras, including some fluff, but hey.
- Better aspect ratio, as the picture fills widescreen displays more evenly without stretching.
Now, the bad:
- The soundtrack...it's so irritating to listen to, because they managed to do the true movie version of "Nothing But Love" and some other songs, fresh from the movie, but yet "Nights Like This" is that After 7 version. I don't mind the After 7 version, it's not bad, but I wanted to hear the movie version. This is especially troublesome when they even managed to do that Byrd song fresh from the movie.
- Some of the footage that never made it in the movie SHOULD have. Like the scene where Duck is explaining that all of the members can sing all different levels. It would explain a later scene when Choirboy offers to sing in Eddie's place - when I watched the first version I was confused. A soprano singing a baritone's parts? Also, there were some slight comedy pieces in there that should have been included.
- Some of the extras are just flat out pointless - or if they wanted to include them at least include the characters people cared about. There's one extra where the actors in kayfabe are giving their thoughts before accepting 'awards'. Totally corny, but it might have been entertaining if Eddie Kang Jr. and JT were there. There's only 3 of the five present.
- General movie negative...they never did explain what happened to Bobby, from the beginning of the movie. I was hoping for a deleted scene that would explain this, but alas...
So, would I recommend getting this? Absolutely, because I can almost guarantee it won't be released on HD-DVD or Bluray.