For a limited time, receive a free Fodor's Guide to Safe and Healthy Travel e-book with the purchase of this guidebook! Go to fodors.com for details.
Whether you want to surf in Manuel Antonio, zip-line through the Monteverde Cloud Forest, or hike around Arenal Volcano, the local Fodor’s travel experts in Costa Rica are here to help! Fodor’s Essential Costa Rica guidebook is packed with maps, carefully curated recommendations, and everything else you need to simplify your trip-planning process and make the most of your time. This new edition has been fully-redesigned with an easy-to-read layout, fresh information, and beautiful color photos. Fodor’s “Essential” guides have been named by Booklist as the Best Travel Guide Series of 2020!
Fodor’s Essential Costa Rica travel guide includes:
- AN ILLUSTRATED ULTIMATE EXPERIENCES GUIDE to the top things to see and do.
- MULTIPLE ITINERARIES to effectively organize your days and maximize your time.
- MORE THAN 30 DETAILED MAPS and a FREE PULL-OUT MAP to help you navigate confidently.
- COLOR PHOTOS throughout to spark your wanderlust!
- HONEST RECOMMENDATIONS FROM LOCALS on the best sights, restaurants, hotels, nightlife, activities, and more.
- PHOTO-FILLED “BEST OF” FEATURES on “Costa Rica’s Best Beaches” “Costa Rica’s Best Eco-Lodges” and more.
- TRIP-PLANNING TOOLS AND PRACTICAL TIPS including when to go, getting around, beating the crowds, and saving time and money.
- HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL INSIGHTS providing rich context on the local people, cuisine, and more.
- SPECIAL FEATURES on “What to Watch and Read Before You Visit,” “What to Eat and Drink,” “Surfing Costa Rica,” “Coffee, the Golden Bean,” and “Canopy Tours”.
- LOCAL WRITERS to help you find the under-the-radar gems.
- SPANISH-LANGUAGE PRIMER with useful words and essential phrases.
- UP-TO-DATE COVERAGE ON: Manuel Antonio, San José, Monteverde Cloud Forest, Arenal, the Nicoya Peninsula, Guanacaste, Poas Volcano, Corcovado National Park, Tortuguero, surfing, beaches, sloth sanctuaries, and more.
Planning on visiting Belize? Check out Fodor’s Belize.
*Important note for digital editions: The digital edition of this guide does not contain all the images or text included in the physical edition.
ABOUT FODOR'S AUTHORS: Each Fodor's Travel Guide is researched and written by local experts. Fodor’s has been offering expert advice for all tastes and budgets for over 80 years. For more travel inspiration, you can sign up for our travel newsletter at fodors.com/newsletter/signup, or follow us @FodorsTravel on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. We invite you to join our friendly community of travel experts at fodors.com/community to ask any other questions and share your experience with us!