Fundamentals of Building Construction: Materials and Methods 6th Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you grow your business. Learn more about the program.
There is a newer edition of this item:
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Inside Flap
The latest updated edition of the #1 reference on building construction
For the nuts and bolts on building construction practices and materials, thousands of professionals and students of architecture, engineering, and construction technology have turned to Edward Allen and Joseph Iano's Fundamentals of Building Construction. This new Sixth Edition of the bestselling work provides the most up-to-date survey of the basic materials and methods that are used in contemporary building construction.
Using the latest building codes, standards, and developments in materials and technologies as its basis, this book covers the complete range of construction activitiesfrom excavating and foundations to cladding and interior finishesand examines common construction systems, such as light wood frame, masonry bearing wall, steel frame, and reinforced concrete construction.
This Sixth Edition has been fully updated and includes:
- More than 200 new or updated illustrations and photographs, as well as 70 new photorealistic renderings
- The latest innovations in glass, concrete, wood, and other materials
- Updated chapter sections reflecting the latest information and practices on environmental impact, embodied energy and carbon, and sustainability of materials and construction
- Current 2012 International Building Code®, MasterFormat®2012, and the most recent ASTM references and LEED information
- Sidebars addressing sustainability considerations
- "From Concept to Reality" case studies demonstrating how technical decisions are made in real-world building projects
- Entirely updated end-of-chapter sections, including selected references, web sites, key terminology, review questions, and exercises
- Completely revised digital learning resources available on the Interactive Resource Center companion site, including new Interactive Exercises, Animations, Flash Cards, Self-Tests, and Image Gallery
- Icons found throughout the text indicating availability of Interactive Exercises and Animations on the online Interactive Resource Center companion site to expand learning of difficult concepts
- Companion book, Exercises in Building Construction, available in print or e-book format
Fundamentals of Building Construction, Sixth Edition lays the foundation that every architect and construction professional needs to build a successful career.
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Top international reviews
Overall, this book contains a good mix of text and graphics and explains how and why things are done. The book is quite massive and takes patience and time and get through. I got lazy a few times and tried to skip some sections of the book but realized upon skimming that pretty much every page of this book is packed with important and concise information.
The paper and print quality of the book is average at best but it's to be expected due to its breadth and cost (relatively cheap). I think it was a fair tradeoff. But I didn't know it was possible to make paper this thin. Underlining with a pencil shows up on the back of the page.