- Create your FREE Amazon Business account to save up to 10% with Business-only prices and free shipping.
Other Sellers on Amazon
Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera - scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing "Send link," you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message & data rates may apply.
Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt: (Spring Books for Kids, Gardening for Kids, Preschool Science Books, Children's Nature Books) (Over and Under) Hardcover – Picture Book, March 3, 2015
Enhance your purchase
Explore the secret world beneath the dirt that brings the world of nature to life: Up in the garden, the world is full of green—leaves and sprouts, growing vegetables, ripening fruit. But down in the dirt exists a busy world—earthworms dig, snakes hunt, skunks burrow—populated by all the animals that make a garden their home. With Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt, you can explore the hidden world and many lives of a garden through the course of a year!
• Follow a young girl and her grandmother as they journey through the year planning, planting, and harvesting their garden—and learn about what's happening in the dirt to help make it all happen
• The stunning and bright illustrations feature dark earthy tones mixed with beautiful pops of color inspire a love of nature and encourage young minds to explore the world around them
• Includes a glossary of animals that live in, around, and under the garden to enrich the reading experience
Fans of A Seed is Sleepy, Spring is Here, and A Nest is Noisy will also love the outstanding illustrations and educational storyline in Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt.
"The harmonious relationships above and below ground, and those between the two, emphasize the complexities of the garden ecosystem, as well as the joys of sustained engagement with the land." —The Horn Book Magazine
• Great read-aloud book for families and classrooms
• Books for kids ages 5-8
• Early elementary school books
• Books for kindergarten to 3rd grade
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now.
Frequently bought together
Special offers and product promotions
From School Library Journal
"Will have readers itching to get their hands dirty."--Baltimore Sun
"This is a really sweet book that explains how nature helps make a garden, with teamwork."--This Kid Reviews Books
"The harmonious relationships above and below ground, and those between the two, emphasize the complexities of the garden ecosystem, as well as the joys of sustained engagement with the land."--The Horn Book Magazine
"Offers excellent coming attractions for what youngsters can expect when they try to grow something."--Reading Today
- Publisher : Chronicle Books; Illustrated edition (March 3, 2015)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 52 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1452119368
- ISBN-13 : 978-1452119366
- Reading age : 5 - 8 years
- Lexile measure : AD730L
- Grade level : Kindergarten - 3
- Item Weight : 1.06 pounds
- Dimensions : 8.38 x 0.5 x 12.38 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #35,566 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Reviews with images
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
It is on the surface a simple story, but you can read it again and again just looking at the artwork.
How many invertebrates can you find? Can you draw a plant above and below the dirt? Draw/write about one thing that happens in each of the four seasons. Use play dough to make some of the creatures found in the book... or to make a model of a life cycle or a food chain you see. See what I mean? This book is packed! I don’t need textbooks in my classroom when books like this are so much more inspiring!