Your Memberships & Subscriptions
Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera - scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing "Send link," you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message & data rates may apply.
A Haunting of Words: 30 Short Stories Kindle Edition
In this installation, the reader will experience a multi-genre journey beyond traditional haunts; from comedy, to drama, fantasy, romance, and horror, these stories put eclectic spins on the every-day ghost tale. Whether you are running from the ghost of a vengeful mother, falling in love with an apparition, touring with a deceased famous musician, saving a newborn from a possessed crib, or having a specter cat as a sidekick, these stories of hauntings and apparitions will warm your heart, send shivers down your spine, and tickle your funny bone.
Whether to be enlightened, entertained, or momentarily caught up in another world, these selections convey the true spirit of the short story.
From the Author
About the Author
Brian alsohas five short stories published within Scout Media's Of Words anthology series: "Outside of Heaven"--a throwback to the Creature Double Feature monster movies;"The Whaler's Dues"--a modern-day mythological romance adventure fable;"Anesthetize (or A Dream Played in Reverse on Piano Keys)"--a disenchanted-youthghost story; and "Two Gunslingers"--a classic duel-at-high-noon western tale;and "Wayward Corona"--a social-media military speculative thriller.
Briancurrently lives in Monterey, CA with his wife--a US Naval Officer--and their fourchildren. He is a retired police officer and worked in law enforcement forsixteen years from 2002 - 2018. He is a self-proclaimed roller-coaster junkie,a New England Patriots fanatic, and his favorite color is burnt orange. And in2019, he fulfilled his lifelong dream of becoming the proud owner of a 1981DeLorean! --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
- ASIN : B07MZDBGB5
- Publisher : Scout Media (January 20, 2019)
- Publication date : January 20, 2019
- Language : English
- File size : 5708 KB
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Print length : 483 pages
- Lending : Enabled
- Best Sellers Rank: #2,369,930 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
About the authors
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
There were a few mediocre pieces and some that were outright confusing. One story had 4 pov changes in 20 or 30 pages (hard to be specific with the kindle version.) The over all theme was interesting but a bit too schizophrenic to follow.
While I was going over the anthology in my head, contemplating what I would say in my review, I knew it would deserve a decent rating because there were several well written, thought provoking stories. I also knew that I had to point out that with this being my opinion, some of the reasons for not enjoying a few of the stories were because of my own personal preferences, so I would say this is still worth a read for those who enjoy a mix of short stories with mature content.
All in all, the collection was edgy, gritty, shocking, and entertaining. Several stories had bits of horror and spookiness. Several were humorous, and a few were endearing and emotional. My personal opinion is that I would have liked to see more horror, and less adult content, but I think the collection would be enjoyable for those who don't mind the content.
I decided that, instead of naming each story and author in my review, I would list the stories in order by number and list my thoughts I jotted down while I read them. As I read the collection, I paid little mind to the story names and authors, as I wanted to focus on just the stories themselves.
So, keep in mind, these are my personal opinions, though sometimes I did not enjoy the writing, that in no way means I thought the author was a poor writer, just that certain writing styles and subjects are not enjoyable for every reader.
1. Confusing. Too much drug use. Awful story line.
2. Good writing style. Interesting plot twist. Not really horror.
3. Boring. Good twist though. Decent writing style.
4. Definitely suspenseful and well written. Awkward and confusing at times, but had some interesting twists.
5. Nice writing style, but odd subject, and lame, predictable twist and ending.
6. Good, descriptive writing. Heart pounding suspense. Horrifying gore and ending, but disliked drug abuse subject and rape.
7. Didn't seem to have a point or anything to do with the theme. Writing style was okay.
8. Favorite so far. Great writing, suspenseful and creepy with a great twist.
9. Nice writing, funny twist.
10. Favorite. Beautifully written. Suspenseful. Great twists and amazing character development and story for being so short!
11. OMG, too funny!! Writing mildly awkward at times, but entertaining and suspenseful and hilarious!
12. What did I just read? Intrigued and confused. Nice writing, odd twist.
13. Decent writing style with suspense, but confusing twist.
14. DNF. Decent writing style, but ridiculous, pointless story line. Not my kind of enjoyable humor.
15. Writing is slightly awkward at times, but the story is spooky and suspenseful and has an eerie twist.
16. Not crazy over the writing style of the story. Predictable.
17. Decent writing. Awkward at times. Suspenseful story with a spooky twist.
18. Holy d#mn that was good! Great writing, awesome twist, and captivating story!
19. Nice writing, creepy, suspenseful, and interesting twist.
20. Awkward writing and dialogue. Boring story.
21. A little long winded at times, but very good with a nice, predictable twist and a shocking twist too.
22. What?? Confusing. Awkward. Switching tenses.
23. Very awkward writing style. Disgusting, violent twist involving baby death. DNF.
24. Interesting plot and twist. Awkwardness between narration and dialogue, but decent story for the length.
25. Decent writing style, but awkward plot and shocking, yet enjoyable twist.
26. Weird writing style. Weirder plot and twist. Not really enjoyable, even with the Doctor Who reference.
27. Nice writing style and predictable, but interesting twist.
28. Writing style was decent with an intriguing plot, but I DNF'd at a scene of child molestation.
29. Good writing style, but confusing plot twist.
30. Awkward writing and dialogue at times. Confusing twist and unsatisfying ending.
I ended up enjoying about 16 out of 30 of the stories. Three of them I did not finish. And, the rest were either not enjoyable, or just mildly enjoyable.
Thank you to author J.M Ames for sending me this anthology in exchange for my honest review.