Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Jez Humble
Customers Also Bought Items By
How can we apply technology to drive business value? For years, we've been told that the performance of software delivery teams doesn't matter―that it can't provide a competitive advantage to our companies. Through four years of groundbreaking research to include data collected from the State of DevOps reports conducted with Puppet, Dr. Nicole Forsgren, Jez Humble, and Gene Kim set out to find a way to measure software delivery performance―and what drives it―using rigorous statistical methods. This book presents both the findings and the science behind that research, making the information accessible for readers to apply in their own organizations.
Readers will discover how to measure the performance of their teams, and what capabilities they should invest in to drive higher performance. This book is ideal for management at every level.
More than ever, the effective management of technology is critical for business competitiveness. For decades, technology leaders have struggled to balance agility, reliability, and security. The consequences of failure have never been greater―whether it's the healthcare.gov debacle, cardholder data breaches, or missing the boat with Big Data in the cloud.
And yet, high performers using DevOps principles, such as Google, Amazon, Facebook, Etsy, and Netflix, are routinely and reliably deploying code into production hundreds, or even thousands, of times per day.
Following in the footsteps of The Phoenix Project, The DevOps Handbook shows leaders how to replicate these incredible outcomes, by showing how to integrate Product Management, Development, QA, IT Operations, and Information Security to elevate your company and win in the marketplace.
How well does your organization respond to changing market conditions, customer needs, and emerging technologies when building software-based products? This practical guide presents Lean and Agile principles and patterns to help you move fast at scale—and demonstrates why and how to apply these methodologies throughout your organization, rather than with just one department or team.
Through case studies, you’ll learn how successful enterprises have rethought everything from governance and financial management to systems architecture and organizational culture in the pursuit of radically improved performance. Adopting Lean will take time and commitment, but it’s vital for harnessing the cultural and technical forces that are accelerating the rate of innovation.
- Discover how Lean focuses on people and teamwork at every level, in contrast to traditional management practices
- Approach problem-solving experimentally, by exploring solutions, testing assumptions, and getting feedback from real users
- Lead and manage large-scale programs in a way that empowers employees, increases the speed and quality of delivery, and lowers costs
- Learn how to implement ideas from the DevOps and Lean Startup movements even in complex, regulated environments
Getting software released to users is often a painful, risky, and time-consuming process.
This groundbreaking new book sets out the principles and technical practices that enable
rapid, incremental delivery of high quality, valuable new functionality to users. Through
automation of the build, deployment, and testing process, and improved collaboration between
developers, testers, and operations, delivery teams can get changes released in a matter of hours—
sometimes even minutes–no matter what the size of a project or the complexity of its code base.
Jez Humble and David Farley begin by presenting the foundations of a rapid, reliable, low-risk
delivery process. Next, they introduce the “deployment pipeline,” an automated process for
managing all changes, from check-in to release. Finally, they discuss the “ecosystem” needed to
support continuous delivery, from infrastructure, data and configuration management to governance.
The authors introduce state-of-the-art techniques, including automated infrastructure management
and data migration, and the use of virtualization. For each, they review key issues, identify best
practices, and demonstrate how to mitigate risks. Coverage includes
• Automating all facets of building, integrating, testing, and deploying software
• Implementing deployment pipelines at team and organizational levels
• Improving collaboration between developers, testers, and operations
• Developing features incrementally on large and distributed teams
• Implementing an effective configuration management strategy
• Automating acceptance testing, from analysis to implementation
• Testing capacity and other non-functional requirements
• Implementing continuous deployment and zero-downtime releases
• Managing infrastructure, data, components and dependencies
• Navigating risk management, compliance, and auditing
Whether you’re a developer, systems administrator, tester, or manager, this book will help your
organization move from idea to release faster than ever—so you can deliver value to your business
rapidly and reliably.
Jez Humble, Joanne Molesky und Barry O'Reilly plädieren sehr überzeugend dafür, das Potenzial des Lean-Mindset gerade auch für größere Unternehmen zu nutzen. Die Autoren werden hierbei ganz konkret. Sie zeigen, wie erfolgreiche Organisationen Lean-Startup- und DevOps-Methoden auf die typischen Aufgabenstellungen von Unternehmen anwenden – und zwar in allen Bereichen. Das Buch illustriert das agile Vorgehen anhand zahlreicher Fallstudien und präsentiert einen beeindruckenden Fundus an Strategien, Ansätzen und Methoden. Ob Vorstandsmitglieder, Geschäftsführer, Abteilungsleiter oder Produktmanager: Lean-Interessierte erhalten praktische Anleitungen zu typischen unternehmerischen Herausforderungen.
Erfahren Sie, wie Sie:
- Produkte und Geschäftsmodelle mit echtem Kundennutzen entwickeln und validieren
- Investitionsrisiken messen und bewerten
- das Potenzial Ihrer Teams durch Visionen und Handlungsspielräume entfalten
- die Prozesse in Ihrer Organisation laufend verbessern
- Softwareentwicklung durch Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration und Testautomatisierung beschleunigen
- Innovation als Teil Ihres Portfolios stärken
- in umfassenden Programmen Mitarbeiter fördern, Qualität und Geschwindigkeit der Produktauslieferung erhöhen und Kosten senken u.v.a.m.