Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About John Sonmez
John Sonmez is a software developer and the author of two best-selling books, The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide and Soft Skills: The Software Developer's Life Manual.
He's also the founder of the Simple Programmer blog and YouTube channel, where he reaches 1.4 million software developers yearly with a central message:
Technical skills alone aren't enough for a successful career—or life.
By focusing on "soft skills" like the ability to communicate clearly and lead by example, the mental resilience to bounce back from failure and even an improved level of personal fitness, software developers can break through the "glass ceiling" and enjoy extraordinary success.
John learned these lessons himself the hard way—through trial and error over his 17+ year career as a developer—and he's candid about the fits and starts he struggled through during those early years.
John started his software development career at age 10, hacking C and C++ to create virtual worlds for his favorite MUDs.
When John landed a coveted six-figure Silicon Beach job at age 19, he thought his career was set.
In reality he was only set up for years of frustration and disappointment—from getting "laid off" from that cushy job after underwhelming his boss with his C++ skills, to a spectacular implosion during an intense onsite interview with Microsoft, to finally taking a job outside of programming just to pay the bills.
Eventually though John realized that there's a huge difference between knowing how to program and having all the skills to be a successful, professional software developer—and he set out to develop the technical, leadership and communication skills he lacked.
John went on to become a highly paid consultant in test automation and Agile methodology, and the 55 courses he published with the technical education powerhouse PluralSight makes him one of the most prolific online trainers in the field of software development.
John effectively retired at 32 and moved to San Diego.
Today he focuses his energy on helping other developers achieve the success they desire through the videos, books and courses in his Simple Programmer platform.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Mediocre To Great. Become The Best Software Developer You Can Be —Level Up Your Income, Relationships, Health and Mindset By Mastering Soft Skills.
Success isn’t a clear road for software developers. There’s too much information and it can feel overwhelming. Many developers get stuck and have no idea what to do next.
Soft Skills aims to solve this. To give you a clear path with actionable steps for your career (and life). So you can get back to what you enjoy doing… solving unique puzzles and fun problems.
Most books talk about how to improve your career. Or how to pass interview questions.
But have you ever read a book that tells you how to become the best software developer you can be? Not with technical skills but in every aspect of your life?
Well, I’ve taken the wrong paths. I’ve taken the right paths and some I’m not so sure about.
I haven’t had much guidance in my software development journey. I've never felt like there was someone who had a simple step-by-step roadmap I could follow.
I’ve never felt like there was someone who could show me how to be the most successful software developer I could be...
Not in just writing code—but in life in general.
This is why I wrote this book. To make your software development journey a success—Soft Skills will get you there quickly...
This isn’t your typical book filled with untested theories. It’s all based on proven timeless principles and my personal experience.
Notice how many developers get stuck in dead-end jobs but others reach the top with no effort?
This book answers that question.
It’s how I ended up “retired” at 33.
If you're a software developer and you want to go from decent to great… this book is for you.
“It’s about getting to success. It’s about the habits and strategies, procedures and mindsets, and tricks and hacks that you can use to push yourself ever closer to success. These are the things this book talks about, and can teach you. They’re things you need to know.” —Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)
What You Will Learn:
- The Best Ways To Land The Job, Keep The Job And Climb The Corporate Ladder (Avoid the most common mistakes that sink careers before they even start)
- How To Market Yourself If You Want To Stand Out From Your Competition (Why only the top candidates get the best contracts and positions)
- 10 Step Process To Learn Anything Quickly and Efficiently
- Complete Productivity System For 10x Work Output. Everything You Need To Become A Finisher (It’s how I stay and remain motivated)
- What To Do With Your Paycheck to Maximize Your Earnings (Should I invest? What about debt? When should I negotiate my salary?)
- My Proven Secrets To Gaining Muscle And Melting Off Fat
- How To Master Relationships As A Software Developer (Dive deep into yourself for peace of mind)
What’s New in 2nd edition:
New chapters that you don’t want to miss out on. Such as building your brand on YouTube. Building true wealth—I give you my exact financial concepts. I’ve used these to retire young and to create millions of dollars in multiple areas. A chapter on fasting and my current eating schedule.
Technical Knowledge Alone Isn't Enough - Increase Your Software Development Income by Leveling Up Your Soft Skills
Early in his software developer career, John Sonmez discovered that technical knowledge alone isn't enough to break through to the next income level - developers need "soft skills" like the ability to learn new technologies just in time, communicate clearly with management and consulting clients, negotiate a fair hourly rate, and unite teammates and coworkers in working toward a common goal.
As John invested in these skills his career took off, and he became a highly paid, highly sought-after developer and consultant.
Today John helps more than 1.4 million programmers every year to increase their income by developing this unique blend of skills.
"If you're a developer, green or a veteran, you owe it to yourself to read The Complete Software Developers Career Guide." - Jason Down, Platform Developer, Ontario, Canada
What You Will Learn in This Book
- How to systematically find and fill the gaps in your technical knowledge so you can face any new challenge with confidence
- Should you take contract work - or hold out for a salaried position? Which will earn you more, what the tradeoffs are, and how your personality should sway your choice
- Ever notice how every job ever posted requires "3-5 years of experience," which you don't have? Simple solution for this frustrating chicken-and-egg problem that allows you to build legitimate job experience while you learn to code
- Is earning a computer science degree a necessity - or a total waste of time? How to get a college degree with maximum credibility and minimum debt
- Coding bootcamps - some are great, some are complete scams. How to tell the difference so you don't find yourself cheated out of $10,000
- Interviewer tells you, "Dress code is casual around here - the development team wears flipflops." What should you wear?
- How do you deal with a boss who's a micromanager. Plus how helping your manager with his goals can make you the MVP of your team
- The technical skills that every professional developer must have - but no one teaches you (most developers are missing some critical pieces, they don't teach this stuff in college, you're expected to just "know" this)
- An inside look at the recruiting industry. What that "friendly" recruiter really wants from you, how they get paid, and how to avoid getting pigeonholed into a job you'll hate
Who Should Read This Book
This book will show you how to ensure you have the technical skills your future boss is looking for, create a resume that leaps off a hiring manager's desk, and escape the "no work experience" trap.
You'll see how to find and fill in gaps in your technical knowledge, position yourself as the one team member your boss can't live without, and turn those dreaded annual reviews into chance to make an iron-clad case for your salary bump.
This book will show you how to become a specialist who can command above-market wages, how building a name for yourself can make opportunities come to you, and how to decide whether consulting or entrepreneurship are paths you should pursue.
The most important trait a successful man MUST have is self-confidence...
Yet self-confidence for young men is at an all time low...
But you won’t hear this story in the news. You won’t find this in a classroom. And society doesn't care about you anymore.
In fact, they cheer when you fail. They feed you BS feel-good lines with zero substance. And they tell you confidence is something you either have or don't.
But this is a sneaky lie…
A lie meant to keep you insecure. Designed to delay your potential. And to put you on a hamster wheel of never ending self-sabotage.
The truth is… you can change your life and develop authentic self-confidence.
Once you recognize your fears, accept your flaws and wake up to the brutal truths of life...
You will develop powerful inner strength. Become the man you were destined to be. And unlock your hidden potential...
Because with self-confidence comes great power for change…
Like the ability to persuade and influence people around you. You’ll gain the trust of new clients and customers. You’ll attain skills to lead and attract meaningful relationships.
With this book I want to give you a practical guide and a no-nonsense plan to execute on...
...And show you how to harness the true power of self-confidence.
In this brief book you’ll discover:
- Why you can’t “fake it until you make it” anymore
- The simple 5-step process to pull out genuine self-confidence
- Powerful “_______ _____” method to crush fear and anxiety
When you pick up the book today — you’ll also find out:
- My quick 10-step checklist to build relentless self-confidence
- How to use the “Compounding Confidence Cycle” for unshakable belief in yourself
- The dangers of overconfidence and how it can derail you from getting everything you want
So if you have regrets and aren't living up to your true potential. You owe it to yourself to pick up this book. It's a quick read and it will help you create a sound plan for success.
Click the buy now button and create a life worth fighting for.
I used to be lazy. Extremely lazy.
But, just this last week, I ran 50 miles, did 3 weight training workouts, attended kickboxing classes and got a ton of work done, making a nice big fat paycheck.
You see, I learned how to overcome laziness--and you can too.
This book is a nice short read (just 54 pages), designed for you to learn the secrets of going from lazy to self-disciplined and productive.
It's the productivity book that I wish I had when I was younger. The one that could have saved me so many hours of frustration, and helped me retire and become financially free much earlier. Oh, and also to get those 6-pack abs I finally have. (I was fat too once.)
Deep down, you know that you are meant to live a life better than the one you’re living right now. You know that you are capable of doing, having, and being so much more—but you’re too damn lazy to experience who you truly are at your core and having what you’re really worth.
I know how you feel because 8 years ago, I was in your shoes. I was lazy, overweight, filled with fear, and living WAY below my potential.
This book takes you into my personal journey out of laziness and into a life of empowerment and self-discipline. In this book, I will share with you:
If you’re really ready to give up laziness, I’ll show you how I did it and how you can too.
- The mindset that had me trapped in laziness, fear, and procrastination and how I broke free
- How I created a new mindset of a tenacious, unstoppable bulldog
- What the bulldog mindset is all about and why you must have it
- My persona productivity project
- How to develop mental toughness
- Why I became a finisher, and more
Get ready for interview success
Programming jobs are on the rise, and the field is predicted to keep growing, fast. Landing one of these lucrative and rewarding jobs requires more than just being a good programmer. Programming Interviews For Dummies explains the skills and knowledge you need to ace the programming interview.
Interviews for software development jobs and other programming positions are unique. Not only must candidates demonstrate technical savvy, they must also show that they’re equipped to be a productive member of programming teams and ready to start solving problems from day one. This book demystifies both sides of the process, offering tips and techniques to help candidates and interviewers alike.
- Prepare for the most common interview questions
- Understand what employers are looking for
- Develop the skills to impress non-technical interviewers
- Learn how to assess candidates for programming roles
- Prove that you (or your new hires) can be productive from day one
Programming Interviews For Dummies gives readers a clear view of both sides of the process, so prospective coders and interviewers alike will learn to ace the interview.