Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Justin Boote
My work can be found in various magazines/anthologies including the Scare Street night Terrors series, ParABnormal Magazine, Weirdbook, Tell-Tale Press, Death's Head Press, Hellbound Books, 13 0'Clock Press, The Horror Zine.
You can also find my own collection Love Wanes, Fear is Forever, my novelette Badass, and my short story If Flies Could Fart!
I can be located at Facebook under my own name, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and on Twitter @BooteJustin or visit my website where you can subscribe and get a free short story!
Customers Also Bought Items By
An ancient South American cathedral extracts a heavy price from a visiting photojournalist. Ghost hunters stumble across a cursed field from which there is no escape. And a friendly neighbor discovers the new girl in town is more than she appears…
Peer into the depths of Scare Street’s latest collection, a fun house mirror full of terror and nightmares. This spine-tingling tome is packed with fourteen tales of supernatural horror. And every page reveals a distorted reflection of your own worst fears…
Go ahead, take a look… What do you see when you look in the mirror? Is it your own face, looking back at you? Or something else… a dark doppelgänger returning your gaze?
Your evil twin leaps from the silvery glass, wrapping its clawed fingers around your throat. It wants out, into the real world. Leaving you trapped in its mirror realm—your reflection frozen in a scream for all eternity…
This volume features the following short stories:
1. Do Not Open by Justin Boote
2. The Cathedral of Smoke by Erica Schaef
3. The Last Pay Phone by Douglas Ford
4. Spinne by S. D. Campbell
5. Fields of Blood by Azzurra Nox
6. Norma's Tea Party by Derek Clendening
7. 19 Clayslaps Road by Bob Johnston
8. Of Darkness and Doughnuts by Veronica Zora Kirin
9. Dragonsbreath by Warren Benedetto
10. Dark Eyes by Michael D. Nye
11. The Ocean Above by William Read
12. Wanderola by John Gallant
13. Premature Burial by Peter Cronsberry
14. The Watcher in the Woods by Ron Ripley and Kevin Saito
A realtor desperately tries to sell a haunted house before it consumes her body and soul. A young couple’s vacation at a campground takes an ominous turn when something menacing lurks nearby. And a haunting melody leads a curious girl to a bittersweet tale of love and loss…
Grab your partner and join the spirits on the dance floor. Scare Street’s latest collection of supernatural horror is a grand ball of fear and nightmares. This sinister collection is bursting with fourteen tales of terror—more than enough to keep you dancing with demons all night long…
The music plays faster and faster. You struggle to keep up, but you can feel your life force ebbing, your flesh withering. Something is feeding upon you, draining your essence. But no matter how hard you try, you can’t stop moving to this deadly beat.
And once the music ends, the only sounds you hear are your own screams of terror…
This volume features the following stories:
1. Marshmallow Murderer by Melissa Gibbo
2. Organ Manipulator by Justin Boote
3. Camping with the Carnival by Jason E. Maddux
4. Serenade by Craig Crawford
5. Sold by Renee Miller
6. Gram's Garden by J. L. Royce
7. The Gift that Keeps on Giving by Peter Kelly
8. The Womb by Edwin Callihan
9. Eyeless by C. M. Saunders
10. Dark Home by Simon Lee-Price
11. The Wooden Box by P. D. Williams
12. The Limb Farmer by Caleb Stephens
13. Ouroboros by Melissa Burkley
14. Crow's Books by Ron Ripley
When you turn out the lights, the terror begins…
A young man returns home and discovers the monster he feared as a child may be real after all. An accident in the shower traps an elderly woman in a nightmarish struggle for survival. And when a ghost hunter investigates the death of his lover, he learns that a local ghost story may hide a sinister grain of truth…
Nightmares slither from the shadows in Scare Street’s latest spine-tingling collection. Thirteen tales of the macabre await in this chilling new volume—a never-ending stream of ghosts, ghouls, and other horrors to haunt your dreams.
Can you hear them in the darkness, creeping closer to your bed? The horrifying whispers of undead souls, the wet splash of tentacles writhing across the floor, and the soft rustle of something tugging at your bed sheets…
Don’t worry. It’s probably just your imagination playing tricks on you, as you devour one terrifying tale after another. After all, there’s no such thing as monsters.
But perhaps it’s best to turn the lights back on, just in case…
This volume features the following stories:
1. The Windman by Nika Župan
2. Meeting Death by Justin Boote
3. One Ghost Turned Deserves Another by Chisto Healy
4. A Slide Infinite by Caleb Stephens
5. The Culling by Melissa Burkley
6. The Other Side of the Mirror by Stephen Johnson
7. A Nice Place for Dogs by C. I. I. Jones
8. Sister Steals Fire by S. R. Worman
9. Sweetheart by Bryson Tuckerman
10. Duplex by S. E. Denton
11. Dendrites in Her Eyes by Irina Slav
12. The Cat and the Crawlspace by J. Herrera Kamin
13. Elsbeth’s Promise by Ron Ripley
The music of the night calls out to you…
A sinister force threatens a teenage horror fan, and only a team of B movie monsters can come to his rescue. Fear stalks a group of punks when a scarecrow proves that birds aren’t the only things it can terrorize. And all hell breaks loose when a man discovers that his next-door neighbor possesses the power to reanimate the dead…
Celebrate the music of the night with Scare Street’s latest collection of diabolical horror. Thirteen tales of paranormal horror haunt this new volume. More than enough to keep you reading long after the sun goes down.
As you turn the page, the symphony begins… A wolf howls. The wind moans. Claws tap against your door. Powerless to resist, you open the door. The music calls… And you must follow its haunting melody.
Where will it lead you? No one really knows, but one thing is certain—as you step into the mist and the world of the living fades away, one more song is about to join this medley of fear.
Your own terrified scream…
This volume features the following:
1. How I Adopted a Demon by Melissa Gibbo
2. Wrong Address by S. B. Duncan
3. Zia 14 by Karl Melton
4. Lots and Lots by Carl Hughes
5. A Problem of Hair by Justin Boote
6. Of Prey, Of Death by Joe Scipione
7. The Monster Game by Joel R. Hunt
8. The Playhouse by Georgia Cook
9. The Road Headed South by Fritz Coleman
10. Luke De Foncé Du Nuage by Tim Cummings
11. Monsters Follow Him Home by Eric Del Carlo
12. Neighbors by John W. Leonard
13. Local History by Ron Ripley
Prepare for a lethal dose of terror…
A young boy’s art takes a sinister turn when the monstrous creature from his drawings reaches into the real world. The clues to a fiendishly clever crossword puzzle predict a series of tragedies for a witch’s nosy neighbors. And a creepy old doll brings pain and misfortune to a woman struggling to cope with her mother’s illness…
As you’re about to go under the knife, Scare Street’s latest collection of supernatural horror is the morphine you need. This new volume holds thirteen tales of bone-chilling terror. More than enough to send a shock though your system.
Goosebumps, nightmares, shivers running down your spine… The physiological symptoms of fear infest your body. Just relax as your demonic nurse tightens the straps on the operating table. The doctor is in, and he’s ready to begin the operation.
All you need is a good old-fashioned scream—and this just so happens to be this sinister surgeon’s specialty. So, shall we begin?
This is going to hurt a little. Or a lot…
This volume contains the following:
1. Cross Words by Peter Cronsberry
2. Hybrid by Justin Boote
3. Pipe Dreams by William Sterling
4. “For My Next Trick...” by Bryan Clark
5. Blood Debt by Susan E. Rogers
6. Smudge the Head by Kyle Winkler
7. See Me by Charles Welch
8. Half Larva, Will Travel by Andrey Pissantchev
9. Just We Two by Shell St. James
10. Caustic Whispers by Zach Friday
11. Roach by C. M. Saunders
12. Unarmed by Warren Benedetto
13. Gwen Speaks by Ron Ripley
The Neighbors features twenty aspiring writers wishing to entertain you with their short stories inspired by these very questions. From humorous conflicts with the home owners association to a seedier malevolence, suspicious behavior to a welcomed change, there is something for everyone.
The next time your neighbors invite you to dinner, you may wish to think twice!
It knows what scares you…
A cursed mansion puts a curious house sitter’s free will to the ultimate test. An old polaroid camera holds a monster that yearns to be released. And two brothers encounter a demonic force in the caverns just beyond town…
Enter a dreamscape of supernatural terror with Scare Street’s latest collection. This diabolical volume contains fifteen terrifying tales of fear and horror. And each story pulls you deeper into the realm of perpetual night.
There’s something eerily familiar about the shadowy landscape you find yourself in. The crumbling old house on the hill, the pale fog rolling through the cemetery, the stone gargoyles perched above ancient tombs…you swear you’ve been here before.
But as your breath quickens and your heart beats faster, you realize this is no déjà vu. Something has pierced your consciousness and delved into your darkest nightmares. The spirits have brought your greatest fears to life.
And now, they’re hunting you through the darkness…
This bone-chilling supernatural collection contains:
1. Down the Stairs by Lewis Brett Smiler
2. Polaroid by Tim Sturk
3. Feline Instinct by Justin Boote
4. Mother Spook by Elin Olausson
5. Review: The Let of Dark by Benjamin Gardner
6. Satan's Harley by Brian Malachy Quinn
7. Shadows of Time by Bradley Walker
8. The White Suits by Richard Beauchamp
9. The Moaning Caverns by Karl Melton
10. The Thing in the Dark by Faith Pierce
11. This Time of Night by Bill Davidson
12. The Black Pumpkin by Mike Weitz
13. The Lightning Dwellers by Michael Maguire
14. The Detective by J. M. White
15. Reading a New Book by Ron Ripley
Nightfall is the prime time for terror…
In the jungles of Vietnam, Hell on earth awaits a troop of unsuspecting GIs. A greedy gravedigger faces deadly repercussions for stealing from the dead. And love comes with a terrible price when a lonely woman turns to a witch to fulfill her heart’s desires…
Plunge into darkness with Scare Street’s new collection of bone-chilling terror. This demonic volume contains thirteen sinister tales of supernatural horror. Enough to keep you reading into the darkest hours of the night.
Things look different in the moonlight. The branches of a tree become a monster’s claws. The shadows around your window seem like wraiths, rising from the underworld. And the space beneath your bed becomes the perfect spot for a snarling beast to hide…
But don’t worry. Soon the sun will rise, and everything will go back to normal. Assuming you make it through the night…
This collection contains:
1. Search and Destroy by Richard Beauchamp
2. As Seen from Above by Dustin Walker
3. The Gravedigger by Daniel J. Bickley
4. Cuckoo, Cherry Tree by R.G. Evans
5. The Sanction by Damir Salkovic
6. The Old Man's Neighbor by Gordon Dunleavy
7. The Witch of the Woods by Jamie Zaccaria
8. Ōsuzumebachi by Matthew McKiernan
9. With Lying Tongues, With Words of Hatred by Spencer Koelle
10. Silver Maples by Tim Jeffreys
11. The Strange Journey of James Booth by Justin Boote
12. The Summer with No Tourists by Alethea Avery
13. Children's Home by Ron Ripley
The dark side is waiting…
Fish N’ Chips lead a curious traveler to a sinister island, where the residents are more than they seem. Forbidden occult knowledge strands a pair of friends in a terrifying nexus of evil. And an ancient ice storm forces a wandering tribe to choose between following a bloodthirsty shaman, or the glowing lights in the sky…
Venture into new realms of terror with Scare Street’s latest bone-chilling collection. This spine-tingling volume contains fifteen ghastly tales of horror and the paranormal. More than enough to while away the hours, as you lose yourself in the shadows of the night.
The deeper you plunge into this realm of terror, the farther away the real world seems. But don’t worry… just turn the page and stay a bit longer.
We’re sure you’ll be able to find your way back. Just listen for the screams in the darkness.
And pray they aren’t your own…
This volume contains the following:
1. The Fish'r Men by David Turton
2. The Faces at the Window by Bob Johnston
3. From the Ashes by Bryan Wolford
4. The Neighbors by Peter Cronsberry
5. The Ferryman by Nicholas Paschall
6. Slug by Matias Travieso-Diaz
7. Folsom Lake by Karl Melton
8. Obsidian by Richard Beauchamp
9. Edward's Couch by Robert Douglas
10. What Lovely Petunias by Mark Towse
11. The Delirium of Negation by Justin Boote
12. I Just Write the Damned Thing by Samuel Thomas Fraser
13. A Clearing by Sam Lesek
14. Northern Lights by Drew Starling
15. Wind Chimes by Ron Ripley
Take a Deep Breath and Dive Beneath the Surface of Shallow Waters—Where Nothing Stays Buried.
With 20 Dark Fiction & Horror tales diving beneath the surface of life, death, and the mystery that lies beneath.
Shallow Waters is the official monthly flash fiction challenge hosted by the multiple award-winning Crystal Lake Publishing (including the HWA’s Specialty Press Award). Every month a new challenge is issued online and via our newsletter. The best submissions are then posted on Crystal Lake’s Patreon page (an exclusive behind the scenes community of readers and authors), where patrons read daily entries and vote for the winner every month.
What you’ll find in these Shallow Waters anthologies include the winners as well as the most popular of our finalists. Stay tuned for more volumes in this series, or find Crystal Lake Publishing on Patreon to enter or vote on future challenges.
Volume 8 includes:
Introduction by Joe Mynhardt
Prior to Slaughter by AJ Franks (winner)
A Quick Trip to the Liquor Store by Denver Grenell
The Boohag by Linda J. Marshall
Monsters by Justin Boote
Mr. Giggles by Nikki R. Leigh
Natural Selection by Mark Allan Gunnells
The Riverfront by Jay Bechtol (winner)
Allie’s New Crayon by Red Lagoe (winner)
Roadside Believer by Ben Norris
Heart’s Break by Jonathan Winn
Dance Faster, Carmelita by Sunni Ellis
Hello by Karen Bayly
#Camping by Lee Smart
Gone Fission by Amanda Hard
Reaching Out by Jeremy Megargee (winner)
Double Feature by Denver Grenell
Preparation by Claire Brown
A Cunning Plan by R. B. Wood
Wifely Duties by D.C. Phillips
All We Endure by Grant Longstaff (winner)
Come Dive Beneath the Surface!
Proudly brought to you by Crystal Lake Publishing—Tales from the Darkest Depths.