You can cancel anytime with Amazon's Magazine Subscription Manager, where you can also change your address, confirm first issue delivery estimates, and more.
We will charge the payment method listed in Magazine Subscription Manager. If we cannot successfully charge this payment method, we will use the payment method you gave us when you originally placed your order. If we cannot successfully charge that payment method, we'll use another payment method you have saved in your Amazon.com account. Your initial sign-up is an authorization for us to use the preferred or other available payment methods to pay for your subscription.
Learn more about gift notifications for magazines.
Save: $29.95 (50%)
Discover Print Magazine
The first print issue should arrive in 6-10 weeks.
International Addresses: Magazine subscriptions offered at Amazon.com can only be shipped within the 50 United States, APO/FPO address and U.S. Protectorates. We are unable to process magazines to other destinations at this time. Please contact the magazine's publisher for further assistance.
When to Expect Your First Issue: Magazine subscriptions ordered at Amazon.com are shipped to you by the magazine's publisher. The first issue of a weekly magazine should arrive within 4-6 weeks of your order. The first issue of a monthly magazine should arrive within 6-10 weeks, unless otherwise noted.
Once you've placed an order at Amazon.com, it can take one to two weeks for your subscription to be received and scheduled by the publisher. Your subscription is then added to the publisher's next production cycle and shipped via standard mail. For example, if your monthly subscription was ordered and received by the publisher in November, and the December issue has already shipped, your order may be added to the January mailing. You can find out more information, including how to contact the publisher about your subscription, in Amazon's Magazine Subscription Manager.
Renewing Your Subscription: If you are ordering as a renewal to the same name and address as the current subscription, the publisher will add the Amazon order to your current subscription. For example, if you have 5 issues left and you add 12 through Amazon, you will now have 17 issues left on your subscription. Please note that the expiration date in the Magazine Subscription Manager will not reflect if you were already on file with the publisher. We will work with the publisher to ensure that you still receive all of the issues left on your subscription.
Publication Frequency: Magazines which show "irregular" availability are those which are not published according to a regular schedule. If you place an order for such a magazine, you will receive new issues as soon as they are available.
- Control your subscription settings anytime using Amazon's Magazine Subscription Manager.
- If you purchase the auto-renewing offer, your subscription will renew at the end of the current term. Before it renews, we will send you a reminder notice stating the term and rate then in effect. Cancel anytime.
- Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.
- This magazine subscription is provided by Magazine Express, Inc.
Frequently bought together
Discover magazine provides a comprehensive look into the latest news in the world of science and the effect it has on our everyday lives. Sure to satisfy the curiosity of your most inquisitive customers, Discover is a must-have magazine for your waiting room.
Who Reads Discover?
Discover attracts intelligent and curious readers - forward thinkers and public advocates engaging in a dialogue of action that influences opinion leaders and encourages innovation. They are active in their communities, carry a strong voice concerning political issues and are very active in environmental groups.
What You Can Expect in Each Issue:
- Vital Signs: Discovers longest-running and most popular column. Each month, an emergency room doctor describes and solves a real-life medical mystery.
- Better Planet: Questioning the choices we make about our environment, and how we affect its overall health.
- 20 Things You Didnt Know About...: An exploration of arcane and interesting bits of information that you may not be able to Google.
- Data: Informative news section with short pieces on breaking science developments.
- Blinded by Science: A column where humor meets science, written by novelist Bruno Maddox, nominated for the 2007 National Magazine Award, Columns and Commentary.
- ThinkTech: Discover's monthly look at technology moving out of the lab and into the mainstream.
- Features: Cover subjects represent a selection of topical science, technology, environmental, global and health issues that affect our life and the world around us. Recent issues include: Year in Science, Dedicated issue, The Secret Einstein, Better Planet, Extreme Engineering, Scientist of the Year.
Discover draws on the talents of some of America's premier nonfiction writers, including Walter Isaacson, Jared Diamond, Jim Holt, and Carl Zimmer. Some of our contributors are veteran science journalists; others regard science just as one source of great ideas. What they all have in common is a rare ability to conduct deep investigations into the most complex topics and emerge with stories that will entertain and enlighten anyone who appreciates a good narrative.
Discover gives its readers the real story: on-the-scene photography, highly personal portrait shots, and cutting edge scientific imagery. The design is elegant and refined--not dry like a textbook, not glossy and remote like a travel guide. Every issue contains a balance of big-idea, text driven stories and more image-rich features that convey the feel of where and how the most amazing research happens.
Comparisons to Other Magazines:
Discover examines what really matters about science and places it squarely in a human context. It is an accessible guide to the ideas that matter most in today's world. Unlike Scientific American, it is accessible to any curious reader, not just to science insiders. Unlike Popular Science and Popular Mechanics, it focuses on ideas and discoveries, not gadgets and weapons. And unlike National Geographic, it does not shy away from the personal, political, and social aspects of science. Above all, Discover is unique in combining deep, probing reporting with accessible, narrative writing--more in the mode of The New Yorker than in the style of traditional science journalism.
US Navy, Chevy, Hartford, Bose, Aridian Publishing, Shell, BBC, PBS, VISA, Ford, Ambien, GM, Sony, Sanyo, Discovery Channel, Math Tutor, Rosetta Stone, Gel Pro, Caravan Tours, First Street, Vanguard, Michelin, Lantus, etc.
- Discover was presented with an award by the American Society of Journalists and Authors for July '07 feature on Science and Islam.
- MPA Digital Awards 2007 BEST PODCAST SERIES: Recognizes creativity and content innovation in a magazines podcast series Discovers Vital Signs won 3rd place.
- 2007 Ellie National Magazine Award Finalist, Columns and Commentary
Science rules the headlines these days, with new developments each week in genetics, astrophysics, computers, and medicine, and Discover is a great way to get a broad spectrum of science news. Designed for the general reader, Discover translates and interprets many of the same stories professionals peruse in Scientific American. Accessible articles on genetically engineered food, what's living in your pillows, real robots in action, and what makes a Stradivarius sing add up to a truly delightful family science magazine. Each issue brings to light new and newsworthy topics to stimulate dinnertime and water-cooler conversations beyond the mundane, and Discover spices the mix with puzzles, Web links, book reviews, and experiments for amateur scientists. --Therese Littleton
- Date First Available : September 19, 2006
- Manufacturer : Kalmbach Publ Co
- ASIN : B00005N7PT
- Domestic Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.
- International Shipping: This item is not eligible for international shipping. Learn More
- Best Sellers Rank: #107 in Magazine Subscriptions (See Top 100 in Magazine Subscriptions)
- Customer Reviews:
Privacy & Security
In order to complete your transaction, we will share the name, billing and shipping address and other order information associated with your purchase with the publisher or magazine vendor. Your name and address will also be shared with a circulation-auditing organization. We may share your e-mail with the publisher, but you can control how it will be used in Subscription Manager. We will not share your credit card information. Offers on this page are introductory. See Details.
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Not sure how to rank it - great magazine but have several years of issues I didn't know I had, so I give it a 3.
It is serious science, but is at the level for the general intelligent population. It isn't the nonsense fluff that you sometimes find in Popular Science. It never gets into crazy pseudo-science nonsense. It isn't as deep as Scientific American.
I always really enjoy reading Discover Magazine. I carefully read it cover-to-cover, without skipping a single article.