Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Kelly Starrett
Customers Also Bought Items By
Improve your athletic performance, extend your athletic career, treat stiffness and achy joints, and prevent and rehabilitate injuries—all without having to seek out a coach, doctor, chiropractor, physical therapist, or masseur. In Becoming a Supple Leopard, Dr. Kelly Starrett, founder of MobilityWOD, shares his revolutionary approach to mobility and maintenance of the human body and teaches you how to hack your own movement, allowing you to live a healthier, more fulfilling life. This new edition of the New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller has been thoroughly revised to make it even easier to put to use.
Want to truly understand the principles that guide human movement? Becoming a Supple Leopard lays out a blueprint for moving safely and effectively through life and sport. Want to learn how to apply those principles to specific movements, whether you are doing squats in the gym or picking up a bag of groceries? Hundreds of step-by-step photos show you not only how to perform a host of exercise movements, such the squat, deadlift, pushup, kettlebell swing, clean, snatch, and muscle-up, but also how to correct the common faults associated with those movements. Frustrated because you can't perform a certain movement correctly due to range of motion restrictions? Breaking the body down into 14 distinct areas, Starrett demonstrates hundreds of mobilization techniques that will help you resolve restrictions and reclaim your mobility. Unsure how to put it all together into a program that addresses your individual needs? This updated edition lays out dozens of prescriptions that allow you to hone in on a specific limitation, a nagging injury, or an exercise fault that you just can't seem to get right. It even offers a 14-day full-body mobility overhaul.
Performance is what drives us as human beings, but dysfunctional movement patterns can bring the human body to an abrupt halt. Often, the factors that impede performance are invisible even to seasoned athletes and coaches. Becoming a Supple Leopard makes the invisible visible. Whether you are a professional athlete, a weekend warrior, or simply someone wanting to live healthy and free from physical restrictions, this one-of-a-kind training manual will teach you how to harness your athletic potential and maintain your body.
Learn how to perform basic maintenance on your body, unlock your athletic potential, live pain-free…and become a Supple Leopard.
This step-by-step guide to movement and mobility will show you how to:
- Move safely and efficiently in all situations
- Organize your spine and joints in optimal, stable positions
- Restore normal function to your joints and tissues
- Accelerate recovery after training sessions and competition
- Properly perform strength and conditioning movements like the squat, bench press, pushup, deadlift, clean, and snatch
- Build efficient, transferable movement patterns and skill progressions from simple to more advanced exercises
- Identify, diagnose, and correct inefficient movement patterns
- Treat and resolve common symptoms like low back pain, carpal tunnel, shoulder pain, and tennis elbow
- Prevent and rehabilitate common athletic injuries
- Use mobilization techniques to address short and stiff muscles, soft tissue and joint capsule restriction, motor control problems, and joint range of motion limitations
- Create personalized mobility prescriptions to improve movement efficiency
You'd better stand up for this bit of news.
Sitting can wreak havoc on your health, and not just in the form of minor aches and pains. Recent studies show that too much sitting contributes to a host of diseases—from obesity and diabetes to cancer and depression. The typical seated office worker suffers from more musculoskeletal injuries than those workers who do daily manual labor. It turns out that sitting is as much an occupational risk as is lifting heavy weights on the job. The facts are in: sitting literally shortens your life. Your chair is your enemy, and it is murdering your body.
In this groundbreaking new book, Dr. Kelly Starrett—renowned physical therapist and author of the New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller Becoming a Supple Leopard—unveils a detailed battle plan for surviving our chair-centric society. Deskbound provides creative solutions for reducing the amount of time you spend perched on your backside, as well as strategies for transforming your desk into a dynamic, active workstation that can improve your life.
You will learn how to:
- Easily identify and fix toxic body positions
- Eradicate back, neck, and shoulder pain
- Mitigate carpel tunnel syndrome forever
- Organize and stabilize your spine and trunk
- Walk, hinge, squat, and carry with peak skill
- Perform daily body maintenance work using 14 mobility templates for resolving pain and increasing range of motion
Whether your goal is to maximize your performance in or out of the workplace, lose weight, or simply live pain-free, Deskbound will work for you. It is a revolutionary cure for death-by-desk.
Are You Ready to Run?
Is there a bridge from the injury-ridden world of the modern runner to the promised land that barefoot running and Born to Run have led us to believe exists? Can we really live the running life free from injury? Is there an approach designed to unlock all the athletic potential that may be hidden within? Can we run faster, longer, and more efficiently?
In a direct answer to the modern runner’s needs, Dr. Kelly Starrett, author of the bestseller Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance, has focused his revolutionary movement and mobility philosophy on the injury-plagued world of running.
Despite the promises of the growing minimalist-shoe industry and a rush of new ideas on how to transform running technique, more than three out of four runners suffer at least one injury per year. Although we may indeed be Born to Run, life in the modern world has trashed and undercut dedicated runners wishing to transform their running. The harsh effects of too much sitting and too much time wearing the wrong shoes has left us shackled to lower back problems, chronic knee injuries, and debilitating foot pain.
In this book, you will learn the 12 standards that will prepare your body for a lifetime of top-performance running. You won’t just be prepared to run in a minimalist shoe–you'll be Ready to Run, period.
In "Ready to Run", you will learn:
- The 12 performance standards you must work toward and develop on an ongoing basis
- How to tap into all of your running potential and access a fountain of youth for lifelong running
- How to turn your weaknesses into strengths
- How to prevent chronic overuse injuries by building powerful injury-prevention habits into your day
- How to prepare your body for the demands of changing your running shoes and running technique
- How to treat pain and swelling with cutting-edge modalities and accelerate your recovery
- How to equip your home mobility gym
- A set of mobility exercises for restoring optimal function and range of motion to your joints and tissues
- How to run faster, run farther, and run better
The goal of any waterman or woman is to surf, paddle or row as often as they can, as well as they can, for the rest of their life. The trouble is that few understand how to get the most from their body and when they can’t, what to do about it outside of the usual layoffs, surgeries and cortisone injections. As one veteran paddler recently put it: “Ibuprofen is my second religion.”
There is a better way.
Using insights gleaned from his experiences on the whitewater canoe and rafting national teams and improving the performance and wellbeing of the world’s top athletes, Dr. Kelly Starrett has created nothing short of a movement manifesto for the water athlete.
Equally applicable to the pro waterman, novice and everyone in between, Waterman 2.0 gives paddlers, surfers and rowers of all ages and abilities a one-stop guide to understanding:
- Basic movement baselines for optimal and sustainable performance on and off the water
- How to identify and fix weakest links, and become faster, stronger and more resilient
- Mobility techniques to help prevent, assess and address soft tissue, joint and sliding surface issues
- Common errors that lead to pain and performance limitations
- Corrective strategies that enhance movement patterns and unlock more speed and endurance
- Lifestyle adaptations that enable better preparation, training and racing
- Tactics for more effective recovery, hydration and sleep
Waterman 2.0 also features unique insights and tips from more than 30 of the world’s top watermen and women, including Laird Hamilton, Kai Lenny, Emily Jackson-Troutman and Paige Alms. This book is the start of a revolution in water sports performance. Are you ready to become Waterman 2.0?
In seinem bahnbrechenden neuen Buch stellt der namhafte Physiotherapeut und Autor des weltweiten Bestsellers Werde ein geschmeidiger Leopard Dr. Kelly Starrett einen detaillierten Schlachtplan für das Überleben in unserer sitzenden Gesellschaft vor. Er bietet kreative Lösungen, um die Zeit zu verkürzen, die wir sitzend verbringen, und zeigt Strategien, mit denen sich der Schreibtisch in einen dynamischen Arbeitsplatz verwandeln lässt.
Der Leser lernt, wie man:
- schädliche Körperhaltungen ausfindig macht und korrigiert
- Rücken-, Nacken- und Schulterschmerzen eliminiert
- Karpaltunnelsyndrome vermeidet bzw. dauerhaft lindert
- Wirbelsäule und Rumpf korrekt ausrichtet und stabilisiert
- natürlich läuft, in die Hocke geht, Lasten trägt und den Rumpf beugt
- mit 14 Mobilisationsplänen tägliche Grundlagen-Körperarbeit absolviert, um Schmerzen zu beseitigen und die Beweglichkeit zu verbessern
Dieses Buch hilft allen, die viel sitzen, egal ob sie ihre Leistung am Arbeitsplatz oder jenseits davon verbessern, Gewicht verlieren oder einfach nur schmerzfrei leben wollen. Es ist eine revolutionäre Kur gegen den Schreibtischtod.