Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Lynn Seiser
Lynn Seiser PhD MFT is an internationally respected psychotherapist and author with over 30 years of direct clinical experience in the treatment of offenders, victims, and families of violence, trauma, abuse, and addiction. Dr. Sesier teached clinical and forensic psychology at a graduate and doctoral level.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Titles By Lynn Seiser
Are you planning to learn Aikido, but don't know where to begin? Are you looking for a teacher? Are you taking a class but confused by the unfamiliar terms used to describe the techniques?
This aikido book offers an easy, yet comprehensive introduction to everything you need to know to feel confident and be successful.
You'll learn about:
- The origins of aikido--its philosophy, history and techniques
- How to find a teacher and a class that is right for you
- Getting ready--what happens in a typical Aikido class?
- The essentials--stances, strikes, grabs, throws, and pins
- How to complement your aikido training with ki exercises, multiple-person training, and freestyle exercises
- How to succeed in Aikido-- how to create an effective training program, test for belt promotion, and participate in competitions and tournaments
- Resources to help you further develop your Aikido skills
Although aikido is often thought of as a nonviolent, noncompetitive martial art, the use of weapons was introduced by the art's founder O'Sensei Morihei Ueshiba. In fact, aikido techniques that use wooden weapons can enrich all aspects of your practice, helping you to understand both basic and advanced aikido technical tactics as well as conceptual strategies and skills.
Building on the authors' belief that no empty-hand system is complete without weapons training, Aikido Weapons Techniques: The Wooden Sword, Stick, and Knife of Aikido demonstrates weapon use both as a training tool to better illustrate aikido principles, and as a self-defense against weapon attacks, focusing on the three primary weapons used in aikido:
- Ken--the wooden sword
- Jo--the wooden staff
- Tanto--the wooden knife
With over 200 step-by-step photographs and detailed instructions, this aikido book provides an in-depth exploration of weapons use in aikido--from its spiritual implications to technical theory and practical use.
Aikido, while uniquely beautiful among the martial arts, is also deceptively powerful, effective, and efficient. Dedicated practitioners know that advanced training means not only striving to master techniques, but also developing a deeper understanding of the history, philosophy and concepts at the core of this martial art.
In Advanced Aikido, Phong Thong Dang and Lynn Seiser present an in-depth look at the complete art of Aikido, from the underlying theories that drive the techniques and strategies to advice on mastering the throws and locks fundamental to the art. Chapters in this Aikido book include:
- An in-depth look at the origins and philosophies of Aikido
- Discussion on utilizing ki to improve effectiveness
- Examination of fundamental theories and concepts essential to understanding Aikido
- Advanced techniques including throws and locks, counters and reversals, and combinations
- Effective strategies and skills for self-defense