- Create your FREE Amazon Business account to save up to 10% with Business-only prices and free shipping.
Other Sellers on Amazon
Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera - scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing "Send link," you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message & data rates may apply.
Manxome Foe (Looking Glass, Book 3) Mass Market Paperback – January 27, 2009
Enhance your purchase
2. He has written six New York Times best sellers.
3. A veteran of the 82nd Airborne, Ringo brings military characters and their explosive battles to vivid, three-dimensional life.
4. Travis S. Taylor’s science background complements Ringo’s military realism with scientific realism, praised by Publishers Weekly as “dazzling . . . cutting-edge scientific possibilities . . .stimulating and satisfying. . . .”
5. Full color brochure for the series.
6. Special kit mailing of brochure and the hardcover edition. .
7. Trade advertising.
8. Advertising in Locus, Kliatt, more.
9. Teaser chapters for Claws That Catch by Ringo and Taylor, and Storm from the Shadows by David Weber.
10. Special backlist discounts for Ringo.
In the midst of recovering from their successful if casualty prone first mission, the crew of the Alliance Space Ship Vorpal Blade are suddenly scrambled back into action. All other priorities take second place as word arrives on earth of a gate colony which has fallen to an unidentified alien assault. As the only space ship currently available to the Human-Adar Alliance, the Vorpal Blade is dispatched to find out what happened to the colony, rescue any survivors and learn the identity of the attackers.
With new complexities added to the universe started in the novel Into the Looking Glass and continued in Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe continues the tradition of non-stop action, valorous if quirky characters and rigorous science drawn from the frontiers of current theory. The odd-ball crew of the Vorpal Blade is an unlikely savior of earth, but none dare say they quail at engaging the Manxome Foe.
"The Lost Girls of Devon" by Barbara O'Neal
From the Washington Post and Amazon Charts bestselling author of When We Believed in Mermaids comes a story of four generations of women grappling with family betrayals and long-buried secrets. | Learn more
Frequently bought together
Customers also search
Special offers and product promotions
About the Author
- Publisher : Baen; Reprint edition (January 27, 2009)
- Language : English
- Mass Market Paperback : 512 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1416591656
- ISBN-13 : 978-1416591658
- Item Weight : 8.8 ounces
- Dimensions : 4.19 x 1 x 6.75 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #1,233,681 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The title of the book "Manxome Foe" - like Vorpal and Looking Glass, is right out of Lewis Carroll...
"He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought..."
It's also unusual for so many hard cover titles to come out in such a short time for the same series - that's what comes from jobbing it out, and the publisher having confidence in the books.
Great SciFi, decent writing, another interesting plot, and a new alien race.
One part of the book that was really, really poorly thought out was the final page. I won't spoil it. My analogy (from memory) was from "Fail Safe." Two airmen are in the computer room when a circuit fries. One of the guys smells the burning electronics and comments on it. The other twit basically answers that it's him burning up because he's mad. No followup, nothing. Why have all that security, checking, testing, etc., just to totally ignore the results? "Fail Safe" really FAILED on that point, and the book does as well.
The two well known characters that are missing from this book, well, have no place in this book. Come on, they hardly had a place in the previous book!
The final battle in this book - a page turner!!
This is a classic tale of good vs evil and I can't wait to find out whether or not "Ms. Moon" will be good or evil in the next installment.
If you line a seat of your pants read then you've got the right book in your hands!
Top reviews from other countries
Great space combat action, winning against the odds AGAIN.
The irresistable rise of Staff Sergeant (but not for long) Bergstresser continues.
And the Alien Baddies are getting more threatening.
I can't wait for the next one.