Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Mari Adkins
An Appalachian Gothic fiction writer for adults and teens, her works reflect a love of literature and music flavored by the darkness and magic residing in the Appalachian foothills.
She lived four years in the black heart of Harlan County, a place mired in coal, ash, and blood, a land of coal seams and rhythmic discord that breed amity and illusion, all of which birthed the Harlan Vampire stories.
Mari is known to dance with fairies and ghosts beneath full moons and wade barefoot in creeks and wild rivers.
Midnight, her first novel, was published by Apex Book Company in May 2014.
Customers Also Bought Items By
The Official Joe Ledger Companion takes you inside the mysterious and dangerous world of the DMS: Department of Military Sciences. In here you’ll find the following declassified data:
• Mission files for each of Joe Ledger’s cases;
• Biographies of the members of the DMS -get to know more about Mr. Church, Top and Bunny, Bug, Dr. Hu and all the others;
• Background profiles on the madmen and terrorists Joe has fought –The Seven Kings, The Red Knights, the Jakobys, Majestic Three and more;
• Meet the allies of Joe Ledger and the DMS –Violin, Arklight, Toys, Lilith and others.
• Specs and information on weapons and technology;
• Comments from some of Mr. Church’s ‘Friends in the Industry;’
• Staff interviews with the members of DMS –crawl inside the heads and hearts of Mr. Church, Joe Ledger and the rest of the team;
• Get a complete list in reading order of the Joe Ledger novels, short stories, and even comic book appearances;
• Journey into the expanded Joe Ledger universe by exploring tie-ins to the Pine Deep Trilogy, the Rot & Ruin series, the Dead of Night series, the case files of Sam Hunter and more!
The Joe Ledger Companion is the mission intel you need to roll out with the heroes of Echo Team.
Uncover family legacies of evil in Stephanie Lenz’s “Inheritance” and Maurice Broaddus’ “Trouble Among the Yearlings.” Walk the surreal nightmare of alien control in Earl P. Dean’s “Hiding Mountain: Our Future in Apples.” Twelve stories of coal-black shadow from authors intimately familiar with the region are waiting to take you to the depths of the earth and into the darkness of the human soul.
Harlan County Horrors is a regional-based horror anthology by editor Mari Adkins. It features stories by Alethea Kontis, Debbie Kuhn, Earl Dean, Geoffrey Girard, Jason Sizemore, Jeremy Shipp, Maurice Broaddus, Robby Sparks, Ronald Kelly, Stephanie Lenz, Steven Shrewsbury, and TL Trevaskis.
Table of Contents
"The Witch of Black Mountain"—Alethea Kontis
"The Power of Moonlight"—Debbie Kuhn
"Hiding Mountain: Our Future in Apples"—Earl Dean
"Yellow Warbler"—Jason Sizemore
"Kingdom Come"—Jeremy C. Shipp
"Trouble Among the Yearlings"—Maurice Broaddus
"Spirit Fire"—Robby Sparks
"The Thing at the Side of the Road"—Ronald Kelly
"Greater of Two Evils"—Steven Shrewsbury
"Harlan Moon"—TL Trevaskis
"With incisive characterization and a compelling plot, Mari Adkins' Midnight is a stirring work of dark fiction that will keep you reading long past the witching hour."
—Tim Waggoner, author of The Way of All Flesh
Samantha Clark has always known she was different.
Raised in a loveless household, she can almost forgive herself for turning to an abusive boyfriend to give her the roots and love she desperately needs. When that solution turns violent, Sami goes on the run, seeking the help of a college friend from her hometown of Harlan, KY. He offers her a chance at family, but he has secrets.
Set in rural Kentucky in 1985, Midnight is a snapshot of a region in the throes of economic despair as coal miners are laid off and abject poverty afflicts the area. Sami believes Harlan offers no hope until she meets the enigmatic Michael, a man out of place and time, living deep in the hills among a cult-like group of devotees.
At once a supernatural mystery and a story of hope, Midnight is a novel of perseverance and finding the power to fight back.