Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Max Lucado
In just under two decades of writing, Max Lucado has accomplished more than most writers hope for in a lifetime. Most of his books have appeared on one or more best seller lists, including those published by the "New York Times," "USA Today," "Publishers Weekly," and the Christian Booksellers Association (CBA). Aside from hardcover books, Lucado's writings have also been published as children's books, videos, CD-ROMs, DVDs, music CDs, mass paperback booklets, apparel, giftware, bookmarks, calendars, study Bibles, workbooks, curricula, and plush products. In spring 2003, Hallmark/Dayspring Cards launched a new gift card line featuring excerpts from Lucado's writings--and has already sold more than one million cards.
All this success has drawn more than a little attention to a previously low-profile Texas author and minister. Lucado has been featured in a wide range of media, including "USA Today," "Larry King Live," and "NBC Nightly News." He has spoken at the National Prayer Breakfast before the President of the United States. He has traveled with internationally renowned musicians as a special speaker on their music tours, such as the highly successful "Come Together & Worship Tour" (sponsored by Chevrolet) with Grammy Award-winning artists Michael W. Smith and Third Day.
Journey to the Top
Lucado was born in 1955 in San Angelo, Texas, and raised in Andrews, Texas, the youngest of four children. His father was an Exxon oil field mechanic who, Lucado remembers, always smelled of grease cleaner. "It makes it easy for me to see a God who is loving and kind--because my dad was," he says. His mother was a nurse who grew up working in the cotton fields.
Lucado went through a period of rebellion against his parents' values and their God during his teens and into college. But it wasn't long before he found himself drawn back to his roots, back to God. He married, spent time serving as a missionary in Brazil, and returned to the States, where he began working as a church minister and writing on the side.
Secret to Success
From all accounts, Max Lucado is not a man consumed by sales, awards, and achievements. He often turns down media interviews since they impede on family and ministry commitments. He spends the bulk of his week serving as senior minister at Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas. And he is truly surprised by his own success--more impressed by his one-in-a-million wife and three amazing daughters than by his successful writing career.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Titles By Max Lucado
Bills pile up. Savings accounts go down. Marriages go south. Pandemics rage. Work goes off the rails. Stress goes off the charts. Suddenly, you feel powerless to calm life's chaos. It's all too much to take on by yourself. But pastor and bestselling author Max Lucado has great news for you--Help Is Here.
Now more than ever, we're all weary from the loads we carry and the challenges we face. We have questions we cannot answer and problems we cannot solve. We'd hoped that life would be an invigorating adventure or an inspiring journey. We never expected to grow so tired so quickly. But Max teaches us that we can find fresh strength and purpose in the power of the Holy Spirit.
The Bible makes more than a hundred references to the Holy Spirit, and Jesus says more about the Spirit than he does about the church, marriage, finances, and the future. But do we really know the Spirit? In Help Is Here, Max will give you the tools and encouragement you need to:
- Learn who the Spirit is and how the Spirit can help
- Become joyful, enthusiastic, and empowered as you draw closer to God
- Confidently take on any difficulty with the power of the Spirit
- Discover your unique gifts and purpose to further God's kingdom
Help Is Here reminds us that our Good Shepherd doesn't just feed us; he leads us. He does more than correct us; he directs us. God keeps us on track--and best of all, he's commissioned the Holy Spirit to guide us down the winding roads of life, wherever they may lead us.
No more walking this path alone. No more carrying weight you were not intended to bear. It's time for you to enjoy the presence of the Holy Spirit and experience the vigorous life he offers. You can rest easy knowing that Help Is Here.
With more than 2.5 million copies sold, Grace for the Moment by New York Times bestselling author Max Lucado continues to touch lives as it emphasizes the help and hope of God in everyday moments. This 365-day devotional speaks to the heart and mind of each person in a special way.
In Grace for the Moment, you'll find:
- Short reflections that provide impactful lessons, which have the power to change your life
- Valuable insight to help you see the everyday moments God is present
- Inspirational insight on how to choose love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, and faithfulness
Thousands of readers have purchased this book for themselves, and then again for a loved one. This devotional is great for any occasion--graduations, weddings, encouraging times, seasons of grief and loss, birthdays, and gifting holidays. Everyone needs grace for the moment they are in.
Do you find it difficult to turn to prayer when you need it most? Do you have trouble finding the words to capture exactly how you’re feeling? Start with Prayer, by pastor and New York Times bestselling author Max Lucado, will give you the tools you need to feel more comfortable when you communicate with God.
When struggles and anxieties come up in our lives, we invite God into our world, watching our fears surface and then depart. But how do we help prayer become a tried-and-true practice in our daily lives? Finding the right words to pray can be challenging, but Max is here to help.
Whether you’re learning to pray for the first time or you’re hoping to reinvigorate your prayer life, Start with Prayer will change the way you think about your relationship with God.
Pairing timeless scripture with thoughtful prayers, Start with Prayer is a special collection of 250 prayers that will help you develop the strength and hope you need to turn to prayer first in any situation you're facing.
Adapted from Max’s series of Pocket Prayers with brand new prayers added, Start with Prayer is divided into categories designed to foster prayers that impact every aspect of life, including prayers centered around:
- Clarity and creativity
- Healing and safety
- Inspiration and encouragement
- Preservation and endurance
- Wisdom and leadership
Start with Prayer is a trustworthy resource that you can turn to no matter what season of life you’re in right now, reminding you that starting with prayer is always the right answer.
Do your Monday actions reflect your Sunday worship? How about your claims to faith? Is your life full of noticeable changes and actions?
James, the half-brother of Jesus, wasn't impressed with talk. He knew that a life of faith was all about actions that revealed a difference in a person's life. For him, it was not that works save the Christian, but that they mark the Christian. In his letter, he boldly deals with practical issues of faith not bound by culture or place. He shows the importance of living a genuine life of faith. His message is bare-knuckled as he encourages, challenges, and confronts, offering practical words and admonitions to live out our faith.
As you read, study, journal, and discuss the book of James, watch for these key themes that Max will unpack throughout the book:
- God gives us true wisdom.
- Satan tempts to break us; God tests to strengthen us.
- The words we use are powerful and influential.
- Faith and good deeds go hand in hand.
The Life Lessons with Max Lucado series brings the Bible to life in twelve lessons filled with intriguing questions, inspirational stories, and poignant reflections to take you deeper into God's Word. Each lesson includes:
- An opening reflection on the Bible book you're studying.
- Background information to deepen your understanding of the cultural and historical setting.
- An excerpt of the text (from the NIV and the NKJV).
- Exploration questions with plenty of room to write your own thoughts and notes.
- Inspirational thoughts from Max as well as a closing takeaway for further reflection.
The Life Lessons series is ideal for use in both a small-group setting or for individual study.
When you feel powerless . . . help is here
Bills pile up. Savings go down. Marriages go south. Work goes off the rails. Stress goes off the charts. It’s all too much to take on by yourself.
Fortunately, you don’t have to take it all on yourself. In fact, God never intended for you to do so. He has provided heaven-sent help to walk with you, guide you, and shoulder the load. Someone who never gets tired. Someone who is strong and powerful. Someone who is unhindered by what hinders us. Someone who is always nearby.
Interested? If so, join Max Lucado in this five-session study to learn more about this “helper” whom we know as the Holy Spirit. You will receive the tools and encouragement you need to become joyful, enthusiastic, and empowered as you draw closer to God; learn who the Spirit is and how he can help you; find true rest and peace as you let him carry your burdens; and discover your unique gifts to further God’s kingdom.
Help Is Here reminds us that our Good Shepherd doesn’t just feed us; he leads us. He does more than correct us; he directs us. God keeps us on track—and best of all, he’s commissioned the Holy Spirit to guide us down the winding roads of life, wherever they may lead us.
Sessions and video run times:
- Our Powerful Ally (17:00)
- Our Strength and Guide (16:30)
- Our Peace and Guarantee (18:30)
- Our Intercessor and Advocate (16:30)
- Our Gift-Giver of Life (16:30)
This study guide has everything you need for a full Bible study experience, including:
- The study guide itself—with discussion and reflection questions, video notes, and a leader's guide.
- An individual access code to stream all video sessions online. (You don’t need to buy a DVD!)
Streaming video access code included. Access code subject to expiration after 12/31/2027. Code may be redeemed only by the recipient of this package. Code may not be transferred or sold separately from this package. Internet connection required. Void where prohibited, taxed, or restricted by law. Additional offer details inside.
Does the uncertainty and chaos of life keep you up at night? Is anxiety your constant companion? We've all been there, but we don't have to let those racing thoughts control us. It's time to let God help you win the war on worry and start living a life full of calm.
Anxious for Nothing, from pastor and New York Times bestselling author Max Lucado, provides a practical and powerful roadmap for battling with and healing from anxiety. Combining hopeful scripture with timeless stories, Max will equip you with the tools you need to overcome your anxieties, no matter what you're facing.
Throughout Anxious for Nothing, Max reminds each of us that God has more in store for us than a life defined by the things we dread. Max invites us to take a closer look at Philippians 4:6-7--one of the most highlighted passages of any book in the world:
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Max shares the story of the apostle Paul in a new light, giving us everyday insights into how we can all replace our angst and trepidation with true gratitude and peace. Max will also teach you how to:
- Reframe the way that you view your fears and stressors
- Receive bad news through a lens of sovereignty
- Tell yourself the truth in every stressful situation
- Leave your worries with the Lord and meditate on the good things in your life
Each copy of Anxious for Nothing also includes questions for reflection that will give you the opportunity to dive even deeper into the lessons you'll learn in every chapter.
You deserve to discover a life characterized by calm instead of chaos. Join Max on the journey to lasting freedom from your anxiety and embrace joy, clarity, and contentment as you learn to be Anxious for Nothing.
The characters we meet in the Bible play a huge role in our lives. Whether we personally relate to Joseph’s dedication to serving the Lord even when he was confused or we understand when Mary Magdalene mourns in front of the vacant tomb, the timeless stories we find in the Bible influence and inspire us to learn to be more like Christ. But how can we apply these lessons to our everyday lives?
In They Walked with God, a compilation adapted from previous works with new content added, pastor and New York Times bestselling author Max Lucado takes a closer look at 40 of the most inspirational characters in the Bible and shares a powerful message: if God can find a place for each character in the Bible, we can rest assured that he’s carved out a spot for us too.
They Walked with God includes a series of meaningful, in-depth discussion questions that correspond with each biblical character that Max has highlighted, giving you a chance to reflect further about the incredible lives they led and the lessons we can learn from them. This one-of-a-kind, interactive resource is ideal for devout followers and new believers alike.
In this compilation, Max weaves together stories from Scripture with stories that offer a modern perspective, bringing each of these men and women to life within the pages of They Walked with God. Max will encourage you as you get to know these figures, and yourself, better by:
- Guiding you through a comprehensive study of 40 of the Bible’s most remarkable--and sometimes seemingly unremarkable--characters
- Providing 185+ thoughtful and engaging discussion questions designed to spark further conversation about how we can apply these lessons to our daily lives
- Sharing personal stories that will help you grow your faith and strengthen your relationship with Jesus
Max adds dimension and depth to 40 incredible people who had the chance to walk alongside God, reminding us that we’re invited to walk alongside him too.
Are you weary? Worn out by the bills that keep stacking, a virus that keeps raging, or a heart that keeps aching? If so, the book of Esther brings welcome news: Relief will come!
To be clear, you didn't ask for this struggle. You want to get past it. You don't know how much longer you can hold up. But what if God is with you in this difficult season? When life seems off the rails, remember this truth: the minute you bow your head to pray is the moment God lifts his hand to help.
Queen Esther learned this truth firsthand. When confronted with a royal decree that would annihilate her people, she had to make some tough choices. Would she remain silent in the face of this challenge, or would she speak up? Would she blend in, or would she stand out? But after Esther spent three days in prayer and fasting, God gave her the courage to speak up. God used her to save the nation. And God can do the same with you.
In You Were Made for This Moment, pastor and New York Times bestselling author Max Lucado will help you:
- put your hope in the God of grand reversals, trusting that God will right every wrong
- cultivate courage for your challenging times by leaning on the God who redeems and restores
- discover your role in God's story by exploring how God can use your experiences and circumstances to join him in his holy work
God never promised us a life without trials, but he does promise to be with us as we walk through them. Trust that he can redeem your struggles for a mighty purpose. You, friend, were made for this moment.
We all fear that the depression will never lift, the disappointment will never stop, the pain will never leave. Here in the pits, surrounded by steep walls, we wonder if our gray skies will ever brighten. Though these unprecedented and challenging times may bring a load of uncertainty and fear that feels too heavy to bear, God gives us this promise: You'll Get Through This.
In You'll Get Through This, pastor and New York Times bestselling author Max Lucado traces the story of Joseph as told in the book of Genesis. The Bible tells us that Joseph was tossed into a pit by his brothers, sold into slavery, wrongfully imprisoned, forgotten and dismissed. Yet Joseph's story is proof that we can flourish even in this broken world. On his darkest days, Joseph may have thought that the sun would never shine again, but God ultimately used these hardships for a greater purpose.
Whether you find yourself in the pit of financial downturn, job loss, health crisis, or relationship stresses, God has a plan and a path forward designed just for you. Max reminds readers God doesn't promise that getting through trials will be quick or painless, but he does use our mess for good.
In this book, Max will help you:
- Find comfort in the knowledge that you are God's child and God cares deeply for you
- Remember that God is near you and has never left you
- Look for hope in each hardship that you face
- Lean on your loving community in challenging times
- Take courage that God will restore even the most painful circumstances and use them for good
Each copy of You'll Get Through This includes thoughtful questions for reflection designed to give you a chance to dive deeper into the hard yet hopeful story of Joseph's perseverance.
With the compassion of a pastor, the heart of a storyteller, and the joy of one who has seen what God can do, Max explores the story of Joseph and the truth of Genesis 50:20: what Satan intends for evil, God redeems for good.
Do you find it easier to face the day when you know God is with you? Max Lucado believes it is! In God Is With You Every Day, Max uses his signature reassuring and encouraging voice, paired with practical, relevant, and personal messaging, to remind you that God is with you every day.
This 365-day devotional begins each week with a prayer and scripture, followed by six days of devotions and scripture for reflection. Weaving messages of comfort, grace, and encouragement, this book is wonderful for:
- Anyone who wants a fresh infusion of faith to start each day
- Those walking through difficult seasons of life such as loneliness, grief, or change
- People in need of courage to face each day
God Is With You Every Day makes a great:
- Self-purchase for those needing an extra pick-me-up or Max Lucado fans
- Inspirational gift for friends and family walking through a tough season, experiencing loss, or overwhelmed by life's challenges
Do you ever feel like a second-class citizen in this world?
Do you wonder how God could possibly use you to change lives?
For women in Bible times, these weren't even questions they thought about. Being overlooked, marginalized, having your contributions discounted because you're a woman...it's just the way things were. In this 10-lesson workbook, Max Lucado tells some of his favorite accounts of women in Scripture and the remarkable way God broke down cultural barriers to use them in the unfolding of His story.
You will discover...
- Sarah, the woman whom God promised would give birth to a nation, but who tried to rush things when God's promises didn't seem to be coming to pass.
- Rahab, a prostitute in the Canaanite city of Jericho, who would save herself and her family through her faith in the one true God of the Israelites.
- Abigail, a woman forced to play peacemaker by the barbaric behavior of her husband.
- Esther, a young queen whom God placed in the Persian court for “such a time as this” to prevent the genocide of the Jewish people.
- Mary, the young virgin pledged to Joseph, whom God would choose to give birth to Jesus, the promised Messiah who would save the world.
- The Samaritan Woman, who would meet this Messiah at a well one day. His words would forever after change her life.
- The Canaanite Woman, who made God smile with her wit and faith, and who received from Jesus an answer to her prayer.
- Mary of Bethany, a friend of Jesus who witnessed the resurrection of her brother, Lazarus, and then anointed Christ in anticipation of his death and resurrection.
- Mary Magdalene, who followed Jesus despite the injustice of a world that judged her for her past and said she would always be considered a failure.
- Sapphira, a woman in the early church who, along with her husband, made the unfortunate (and deadly) decision to lie to the Holy Spirit.
These stories show us there is a God who sees us where we are and loves us for who we are. He is the one who hovers over all the pages of the Bible, shaping lives, rescuing hearts, healing sicknesses, raising what was dead to life, and passing out high callings to those who choose to follow him and have faith in him.
Each lesson includes:
- 5 Daily in-depth Bible studies to help you explore the stories in Scripture
- Daily points to remember to help you summarize the key points
- Daily prayers to help you focus your thoughts and move into your quiet time
- Weekly memory verses to help you hide God's word in your heart
- Additional notes to help you lead a group through the study
Ten Women of the Bible is a standalone workbook, ideal for both individual use and for study in a small-group setting.
When life gets difficult, is God paying attention? If I'm facing challenge after challenge, will God help? When my days become dark and stormy, does God notice? The answer in the life-giving stories in the Gospel of John is a resounding yes.
In You Are Never Alone, pastor and New York Times bestselling author Max Lucado reminds us that our miracle-working God sees us, cares about us, and will always come to our aid, no matter what we're up against.
By tracing Jesus' miracles as told in the book of John, You Are Never Alone invites us to take a closer look at the good news John shares with each of us: God is never afraid to meet us in the middle of life's messes, extend a helping hand, and lift us out of our troubles.
You Are Never Alone will equip you to:
- Get unstuck and take your first step into a better tomorrow
- Dwell in the grace of the cross and the miracle of the empty tomb
- Believe that God is your ever-present source of help and hope
- Take comfort that you are never without God's protection
You Are Never Alone also includes thoughtful, comprehensive reflection questions designed to go along with each chapter, giving you a chance to dive even deeper into the ways that God walks with you every step of the way.