Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Mayo Clinic
Customers Also Bought Items By
An essential pregnancy resource for all parents-to-be. Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy, second edition is an authoritative, yet practical reference manual from the pregnancy experts at the #1 ranked hospital in America.
The newly updated book includes information on everything from healthy lifestyle habits to the latest technologies in prenatal care and childbirth. Features include week-by-week updates on baby’s growth, as well as month-by-month changes that mom can expect. In addition, you’ll find a 40-week pregnancy calendar, an overview of common pregnancy symptoms, information on safe medicine use, tools to help parents with important pregnancy decisions, and general caregiving advice — information moms and dads can trust to help give their little ones a healthy start.
Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy, second edition is the collective effort of a team of health care experts who find nothing in medicine more exciting and satisfying than the birth of a healthy child by a healthy mother. Any parent-to-be looking for accurate and authoritative information from a reliable source will surely appreciate this illustrated, easy-to-understand book.
- The pre-diabetes stage: taking charge to prevent diabetes
- Types of diabetes
- Symptoms and risk factors
- Treatments and strategies for managing your blood sugar
- Avoiding serious complications
- Advances in insulin delivery and new medications
You play a vital role in managing your blood pressure and your overall health. The sooner you take advantage of simple steps to improve your lifestyle, the greater your chances of enjoying a long, productive life.
This easy-to-use guide will help you understand the many issues related to high blood pressure and assist you in making essential treatment decisions...
- Learn which single factor you can do the most about when it comes to influencing your blood pressure. This one step may be all it takes to lower your blood pressure and keep it under control.
- You know that maintaining a healthy weight is important. And we know it's not easy. But losing as little as 10 pounds may reduce your blood pressure to a healthier level. This book offers practical help for meeting the challenge of achieving and maintaining a healthier weight.
- There's a great alternative to blood pressure medications. This step may lower your blood pressure just about as much — without the expense of prescriptions.
- Did you know that your blood pressure goes down if you make your heart stronger? A strong heart exerts less force on arteries. You'll find dozens of tips to realize this goal.
- Of all the issues related to high blood pressure, none is more debated than salt. But moderating salt consumption can benefit everyone, regardless of age, race, sex or health status. In this book, you'll learn how to manage your sodium intake and live a healthier life.
- When changes in lifestyle aren't enough, today's medications offer effective blood pressure control while reducing your risk of other health concerns. Learn which medication, or combination of medications, may be best suited to your individual health needs and medical history.
Many people are reluctant to discuss bladder and bowel control issues with their doctors. Yet tens of millions of people experience some form of incontinence. Incontinence isn’t something that’s easy to talk about, but discussing it is often the first step in getting help.
Today, people with incontinence have more reasons than ever to turn to medical experts for help. Most incontinence, whether bladder or bowel, can now be improved or cured.
The detailed information found in the new Second Edition of Mayo Clinic on Managing Incontinence provides you with the confidence to start the communication process and benefit from the treatments that are available today.
It has long been thought that incontinence was often just a result of the aging process and there wasn’t much that anyone could do to reduce or eliminate its effects. That’s no longer true.
Doctors have made significant treatment advances. New medications can reduce symptoms of urinary incontinence. Adjustment in diet and lifestyle also can help a great deal.
Mayo Clinic on Managing Incontinence explains the most frequent causes of—and most effective treatments for—loss of bladder and bowel control.
You’ll learn what you can do on your own to improve your symptoms… how to select a medical care provider... how to prepare for a relaxed and productive office visit… and how you and your doctor can pinpoint the most likely cause of your symptoms.
This book is your roadmap to reducing or eliminating problems with bladder and bowel control. Take advantage of this knowledge to improve your life.
The eye is as intricate as the latest computer and as precious as any jewel. Without clear eyesight, your life would be radically different.
While eye disease is rarely fatal, eye health is essential to enjoyment of your world as you know it. So it makes sense to give your eyes the attention and care they richly deserve.
With more people living longer lives, age-related eye disease has become more common. Fortunately, state-of-the-art medical treatment has not only kept up but made great advances. So has our understanding of the nutritional and lifestyle decisions that impact vision and eye health.
Mayo Clinic helps thousands of patients each year with vision and eye problems. Our medical staff includes some of the finest eye doctors in the world. Now you can take advantage of this wealth of knowledge without leaving home, simply by getting your own copy of Mayo Clinic Guide to Better Vision. In it you’ll learn…
- 8 ways to prevent macular degeneration, the age-related eye disease that causes vision loss and blind spots.
- 5 ways to prevent glaucoma, the “silent thief of sight” that commonly develops with no warning signs.
- 8 self-care tips to help you or a loved one keep your diabetes under control and effectively slow the progression of diabetic retinopathy.
- 4 steps that may slow or prevent the development of a cataract. And if these steps aren’t enough, cataract surgery is easier, safer and more effective than ever.
Mayo Clinic Guide to Better Vision covers all the leading causes of vision loss, with practical information on prevention, as well as everything you need to know about detection and treatment. It’s all based on the same medical knowledge Mayo Clinic doctors share with their patients.
“No matter what your age, you can continue to enjoy good health, happiness and an active lifestyle.” Advances in our understanding of health and aging now make it possible for you to make your later years some of your best years. With motivation, energy and knowledge, you can craft a future that’s fulfilling, invigorating and, best of all—healthy.
Mayo Clinic on Healthy Aging is a blueprint for the rest of your life. If there are any “secrets” to remaining active, energetic and disease-free, this book is where you’ll find them…
- Is loss of bone strength and muscle mass inevitable? Definitely not! We share 7 habits that make the difference in how you look, how you feel and how you age.
- 8 effective habits of men and women who sleep soundly, night after night.
- What you can do to maintain your all-important vision, even as time goes by.
- 6 ways to avoid or reverse embarrassing and uncomfortable urinary changes.
- Why we view maturity as a season of joy, recalling the wit and wisdom of Mark Twain… “Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.”
- How to recognize common health risk factors that put your well-being in jeopardy. Spotting them early is smart—it means easier treatments, and can save your life.
- 9 ways to cope with major life changes gracefully and keep your stress in check. These doctor-approved tips support both your emotional and your physical health.
You have many options for staying young and healthy. But no matter which ones you choose, one thing is for sure—the sooner you start, the sooner you’ll enjoy health benefits and the better off you’ll be in the long run.
Many prostate problems — even cancer — can now be easily treated. Thanks to medical advances and important new discoveries at Mayo Clinic and other leading medical centers, we can share great news with Mayo Clinic Essential Guide to Prostate Health.
This book is based on advice that Mayo Clinic doctors share every day in caring for their patients. In this book you will find:
- When to get a prostate checkup, and what to expect
- Our latest recommendations on prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing, with detailed information on normal PSA levels by age
- How doctors diagnose and treat an enlarged prostate, including new information on the two types of drugs currently used to significantly reduce symptoms of prostate enlargement
- New guidance on managing incontinence and impotence, two common side effects of prostate treatment
- Current medical options for treating advanced prostate cancer
- New advances that mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- What to expect after prostate surgery, including information on recovery time and getting on with life
- Medical assessments of popular alternative therapies, plus more
Mayo Clinic Essential Guide to Prostate Health is an easy-to-read yet comprehensive guide to understanding, treating and living with prostate disease. It’s just the kind of thorough book you would expect from a world leader in medicine — Mayo Clinic.
Inside you'll find:
- Easy-to-understand explanations of more than 100 health conditions
- Comprehensive lists of frequent signs and symptoms
- Professional insight on tests and procedures used to make a diagnosis
- Essential advice on treatments, including commonly used medications
- Up-to-date prevention guidelines for illnesses that may affect your quality of life
Two of the most common reasons people visit a doctor are hearing loss and dizziness. Now you can get the expertise of Mayo Clinic right in your home to improve them both.
Today we have more options for treating hearing loss than ever before. You may be an ideal candidate for one of the many astounding improvements in hearing technology. Medicine and even social attitudes about hearing loss have changed for the better, too.
Mayo Clinic on Better Hearing and Balance, Second Edition offers helpful guidance to find an effective treatment for your ear-related problems—one that fits your individual needs and lifestyle.
- Sometimes hearing loss stems from drugs and environmental chemicals. The book names several common culprits. Hearing improves when use of the drug stops.
- In other cases, minor surgery may be all that’s needed. Hearing often improves immediately after the procedure. Another surgical option resulting in permanent hearing provides noticeable results three to six weeks after surgery.
- You’ll also learn about dizziness and problems with balance, which are often associated with hearing difficulties. Doctors have identified at least eight common causes of dizziness.
- Another common ear problem is ringing in the ears (tinnitus). The book shares six self-help tips to reduce the severity of tinnitus and help you better cope with its symptoms.
This practical resource can assist you in preserving your hearing, in functioning well in difficult listening situations, and in minimizing the impact of hearing and balance problems in your daily life.
Mayo Clinic on Alzheimer’s Disease is completely updated based on the patient care experience and research of Mayo doctors. The book brings you the latest, most effective treatment approaches we know and is a must-read for every caregiver.
Actively managing Alzheimer’s and other conditions that cause dementia can significantly improve quality of life, both for the person with the condition and for his or her caregiver. This book is full of new discoveries we’re eager to pass on to you. For example…
- Mayo Clinic on Alzheimer’s Disease tells you about advances in brain research that allow doctors to detect the condition in its earliest stages. This gives us hope for unraveling some of the real mysteries surrounding the disease.
- A critical development in medical technology is the ability to detect plaques in the living brain through molecular imaging. With this breakthrough, it’s now possible to track progress of the disease and the effects of medication therapy on a patient.
- Many Alzheimer’s patients can be helped by treating their coexisting conditions, such as depression, anxiety or a sleep disorder. Often, treating these conditions results in improved general health and potentially even better cognition.
If you are the friend, loved one or caregiver of someone with Alzheimer’s, this book is a must-read. You’ll learn about treatment goals, medications, strategies to deal with changing behaviors, and best ways to approach advanced or severe cases.