Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Meg Meeker
A popular speaker on pediatric health issues and child-parent relationships, she is a frequent guest on nationally syndicated radio and television programs. She works with the NFL Fatherhood Initiative and spoke at the UN in 2016on family issues. Dr. Meeker lives in northern Michigan, where she shares a medical practice with her husband, Walter. They have four children.
PRAISE FOR HERO: Being the Strong Father Your Children Need
"Whether I'm working toward winning a Super Bowl or parenting my children, I need a game plan. HERO lays out that plan. Nothing matters more to me than raising children who grow up to be strong, loving adults that know, love, and serve God. Thank you, Meg, for writing such an encouraging and inspiring book for fathers like me!"
-Philip River, Los Angeles Chargers quarterback
"If you are a dad, you MUST read tis book. If you want to bless your own dad, you need to five him this book. Dr. Meg Meeker's message to fathers is simply incredible. Period."
-Les Parrott, PH.D., #1 New York Times bestselling author of SAVING YOUR MARRIAGE BEFORE IT STARTS
"Superman is good. Captain America is great. YOU, on the other hand, have been designed with powers beyond those of ordinary men. With purpose and wisdom flowing through your veins, you YOU can save your children from the pitfalls that await! YOU are the hero they long for. You are the hero they will remember. Let this book be your guide, my friend. Go...while there's still time! You have only one chance...."
-Andy Andrews, New York Times bestselling author of THE TRAVELER'S GIFT and THE NOTICER
"For many men, the critically important role of 'father' often takes a backseat to the responsibilities of being a husband, provider, or sensitivity, Dr. Meg Meeker offers a powerful reminder that 'dad' is the most important tile a man will ever hold."
-Jim Daly, president of Focus on the Family
Customers Also Bought Items By
From cradling his newborn to walking her down the aisle, a father must relish his paramount responsibilityguiding the course of his daughter’s life. Meeker reveals
how a man can become a "strong father"
how a father's guidance influences every part of a woman's life, from her self-respect to her perspective on drugs, alcohol, and sex
how to lay down ground rules that are respected without creating distance in your relationship with your daughter
why you need to be your daughter's hero
the mistakes most fathers make and their serious consequences
how to help daughters make their own good decisions and avoid disastrous mistakes
how a father's faith will influence his daughter's spiritual development
how to get through to you daughter, even during her toughest don't-talk-to-me years
true stories of daughters who were on the wrong pathand how their fathers helped to bring them back
Learn how to grow, strengthen, or rebuild your relationship with your daughter to better both your life and hers in the bestselling Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know.
From the moment a mother holds her newborn son, his eyes tell her that she is his world. But often, as he grows up, the boy who needs her simultaneously pushes her away. Calling upon thirty years of experience as a pediatrician, Meg Meeker, M.D., a highly sought after national speaker, assistant professor of clinical medicine, and mother of four, shares the secrets that every mother needs to know in order to strengthen—or rebuild—her relationship with her son.
Boys today face unique challenges and pressures, and the burden on mothers to guide their boys through them can feel overwhelming. This empowering book offers a road map to help mothers find the strength and confidence to raise extraordinary sons by providing encouragement, education, and practical advice about
• the need for mothers to exercise courage and be bolder and more confident about advising and directing their boys
• the crucial role mothers play in expressing love to sons in healthy ways so they learn to respect and appreciate women as they grow up
• the importance of teaching sons about the values of hard work, community service, and a well-developed inner life
• the natural traps mothers of boys often fall into—and how to avoid them
• the need for a mother to heal her own wounds with the men in her life so she can raise her son without baggage and limitations
• the best ways to survive the moments when the going gets tough and a mom’s natural ways of communicating—talking, analyzing, exploring—only fuel the fire
When a mother holds her baby boy for the first time, she also instinctively knows something else: If she does her job right and raises her son with self-esteem, support, and wisdom, he will become the man she knows he was meant to be.
Meg Meeker has been a pediatrician for more than thirty years, is a mother and a grandmother, and has seen it all. She knows what makes for strong, happy, healthy young women—and what puts our daughters at risk. Combining that experience with her famous common sense, she explains the eleven steps that will help your daughter—whether she’s a toddler or a troubled teen—to achieve her full human potential.
In this book, you will learn:
- The four biggest questions every daughter has—and that you must answer
- Why it's the quality, not the quantity, of your daughter's friends that matters
- The essential, complementary roles that mothers and fathers play
- The dangers of social media—and how to help your daughter navigate them
- What every daughter needs to know about God
- Why depression is often a "sexually transmitted disease"
- How to launch your daughter into successful womanhood
If you have a daughter, and worry about her future, you need Dr. Meg's advice.
Whether you know it or not, if you're a dad, you’e a hero— that's the message of bestselling author and pediatrician Meg Meeker.
Even if you're struggling with all the demands of fatherhood, let Dr. Meeker reassure you: every man has it within him to be the hero father his children need. With simple step-by-step instructions and drawing on long experience—including her work with the NFL's Fatherhood Initiative—Dr. Meeker shows you how to be the father you want to be and your children need you to be.
Discover why fathers are even more important to their children than their mothers are; why your children want you to be their hero—even if their relationship with you has been strained or distant; and secrets that can help divorced dads, widowed dads, and stepfathers maintain—or rebuild—a strong relationship with their children
As Dr. Meeker writes, "If you want what is best for your children—if you want what is best for you—you should strive to be a hero father. In this book, I hope to show you how."
This sanity-saving guide “offers practical ways to help you let go of ‘mom guilt’ in order to become a happier, healthier woman” (Parent & Child).
Now with wellness tips and exercises!
The pressure on women today has pushed many American mothers to the breaking point. It feels as if “doing your best” is never enough to please everyone, and the demands mothers place on themselves are both impossible and unrealistic. Now Meg Meeker, M.D., critically acclaimed author of Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters, puts her twenty-five years’ experience as a practicing pediatrician and counselor into a sound, sane approach to reshaping the frustrating, exhausting lives of so many moms.
Mothers are expected to do it all: raise superstar kids, look great, make good salaries, volunteer for everything, run errands, keep a perfect house, be the perfect wife. Single mothers often have even more demands—and less support. In this rallying cry for change, Dr. Meeker incorporates clinical data and her own experience raising four children to show why mothers suffer from the rising pressure to excel and the toll it takes on their emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual health. Too many mothers are increasingly lonely, anxious, depressed, and unhappy with themselves, refusing to let themselves off the hook. Here, Dr. Meeker has identified the 10 most positive habits of mothers who are healthy, happy, and fulfilled. The key is to embrace a new perspective and create real joy and purpose by utilizing such core habits as
• making friends with those who know the meaning of friendship
• finding out what money can buy (and what it cannot)
• lightening the overload—and doing less more often
• discovering faith and learning how to trust it
• taking some alone time and reviving yourself
Mothers, it’s time to view the unconditional trust that you see in your children’s eyes when they take your hand or find your face in a crowd as a mirror of your own wonder and worth. You are the light that shines in their lives, the beacon that guides them. By implementing the key strategies in Dr. Meeker’s book, you can be happy, hopeful, and a wonderful role model. You can teach your children to be the very best they can be—and isn’t that still the most precious reward of motherhood?
Padres fuertes, hijas felices revela:
Hasta qué punto los consejos y el testimonio vital de los padres influye en vida de las hijas. Desde el uso de drogas, alcohol y tabaco a la autoestima, el equilibrio emocional, o al modo de relacionarse con los chicos.
Por qué las chicas dependen del cariño y de la compañía de sus padres, incluso más allá de sus años universitarios.
La receta para el desastre: la idea de que las chicas necesitan cometer sus propios errores y aciertos.
Cómo comunicarse con su hija, y cómo no hacerlo.
En una época en la que cada vez se insiste más en difuminar la distinción natural entre el papel del padre y de la madre, en que da igual si la familia está compuesta por dos padres o dos madres, o si es monoparental, este libro demuestra que el rol de padre es bastante más influyente de lo que muchos hombres imaginan. Además de la relación maternal, las hijas necesitan del apoyo que sólo un padre puede dar, y si los padres están dispuestos a seguir los consejos de la doctora Meeker sobre cómo educar a sus hijas, su recompensa será excepcional.
Drawing on her thirty years' experience practicing pediatric and adolescent medicine, teen health expert Dr. Meg Meeker explains why an active father figure is maybe the single most important factor in a young woman's development. In this invaluable guide, Meeker shows how a father can be both counsel and protector for his daughter as she grows into a spiritually and mentally strong young woman.
From cradling his newborn to walking her down the aisle, a father must relish his paramount responsibility—guiding the course of his daughter’s life. Meeker reveals
• How a man can become a "strong father"
• How a father's guidance influences every part of a woman's life, from her self-respect to her perspective on drugs, alcohol, and sex
• How to lay down ground rules that are respected without creating distance in your relationship with your daughter
• Why you need to be your daughter's hero
• The mistakes most fathers make—and the serious consequences
• How to help daughters make their own good decisions and avoid disastrous mistakes
• How a father's faith will influence his daughter's spiritual development
• How to get through to you daughter, even during her toughest don't-talk-to-me years
• True stories of daughters who were on the wrong path—and how their fathers helped to bring them back
Por qué las normas y los límites son fundamentales y por qué los chicos se sienten perdidos sin ellos.
Por qué es muchísimo más provechoso para un chico jugar al aire libre que dedicarle horas a los videojuegos.
Cómo preservar su inocencia frente a un ambiente que pretende todo lo contrario.
Por qué no es normal que un niño sea taciturno o rebelde y como tratar esos comportamientos.
Cómo y cuándo tratar las grandes cuestiones de la vida que todo niño se plantea.
Todos los padres quieren lo mejor para sus hijos. Sin embargo, esto no parece ser suficiente. Educar es una impresionante tarea para la que hay que estar preparados. Sin duda alguna, este libro proporciona una serie de consejos que vienen a hacerla un poco más fácil.
Conoce los secretos para hacer de tus hijos seres positivos, independientes y felices.
Conoce los secretos para hacer de tus hijos seres positivos, independientes y felices.
Los niños de hoy se enfrentan a retos y presiones únicas, y la responsabilidad de las madres para guiar a sus hijos a través de las diversas complicaciones puede resultar abrumadora. Este libro es un apoyo maravilloso para ayudar a las madres a encontrar la fuerza y la confianza para impulsar en sus hijos un mayor potencial; te ofrece consejos prácticos sobre:
- Ser más audaces y más seguras para asesorar y dirigir a los niños.
- Desempeñar un papel crucial en la expresión de su amor a los hijos de manera saludable.
- Enseñar a los hijos acerca de los valores del trabajo duro y una vida interior bien desarrollada.
- Ser una madre fuerte, consciente, independiente y buen ejemplo para sus hijos.
Con 25 años de experiencia como pediatra, consejera de adolescentes, profesora de la escuela de medicina y madre de cuatro hijos, Meg Meeker te invita a conocer los problemas que enfrentan muchos niños y te muestra cómo ayudar a tus hijos a navegar por un territorio difícil creando un ambiente sano.
Aus dem Buch:
- Die essentiellen Tugenden, die ein Vater haben sollte, und wie man sie entwickelt
- Was Töchter von Vätern über Selbstrespekt lernen können
- Die Wichtigkeit von Grundregeln
- Wie wichtig es ist, ein Held für seine Tochter zu sein
- Die größten Fehler, die Väter machen können
- Wie Stiefväter die Rolle übernehmen können