- Create your FREE Amazon Business account to save up to 10% with Business-only prices and free shipping.
Other Sellers on Amazon
Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera - scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing "Send link," you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message & data rates may apply.
Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation Hardcover – Illustrated, January 12, 2010
|New from||Used from|
Enhance your purchase
Foreword by Daniel Goleman, author of Emotional Intelligence
• Is there a memory that torments you, or an irrational fear you can't shake?
• Do you sometimes become unreasonably angry or upset and find it hard to calm down?
• Do you ever wonder why you can't stop behaving the way you do, no matter how hard you try?
• Are you and your child (or parent, partner, or boss) locked in a seemingly inevitable pattern of conflict?
What if you could escape traps like these and live a fuller, richer, happier life? This isn't mere speculation but the result of twenty-five years of careful hands-on clinical work by Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. A Harvard-trained physician, Dr. Siegel is one of the revolutionary global innovators in the integration of brain science into the practice of psychotherapy. Using case histories from his practice, he shows how, by following the proper steps, nearly everyone can learn how to focus their attention on the internal world of the mind in a way that will literally change the wiring and architecture of their brain.
Through his synthesis of a broad range of scientific research with applications to everyday life, Dr. Siegel has developed novel approaches that have helped hundreds of patients. And now he has written the first book that will help all of us understand the potential we have to create our own lives. Showing us mindsight in action, Dr. Siegel describes
• a sixteen-year-old boy with bipolar disorder who uses meditation and other techniques instead of drugs to calm the emotional storms that made him suicidal
• a woman paralyzed by anxiety, who uses mindsight to discover, in an unconscious memory of a childhood accident, the source of her dread
• a physician–the author himself–who pays attention to his intuition, which he experiences as a "vague, uneasy feeling in my belly, a gnawing restlessness in my heart and my gut," and tracks down a patient who could have gone deaf because of an inaccurately written prescription for an ear infection
• a twelve-year-old girl with OCD who learns a meditation that is "like watching myself from outside myself" and, using a form of internal dialogue, is able to stop the compulsive behaviors that have been tormenting her
These and many other extraordinary stories illustrate how mindsight can help us master our emotions, heal our relationships, and reach our fullest potential.
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now.
Frequently bought together
Special offers and product promotions
From Publishers Weekly
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Publisher : Bantam; Illustrated edition (January 12, 2010)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 336 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0553804707
- ISBN-13 : 978-0553804706
- Item Weight : 1.2 pounds
- Dimensions : 6.44 x 1.08 x 9.5 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #151,650 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Honestly, just read the summaries of his books or any reviews of them online and you'll have basically 90% of the book. Save yourself the $.
~ Dan Siegel from Mindsight
Dan Siegel is one of the world’s leading neuroscientists and psychotherapists. A Harvard Medical School graduate and Professor of Psychiatry at the UCLA Medical School, he founded the field of “Interpersonal Neurobiology.”
He’s brilliant (!) and delivers his wisdom in a captivating, poetic style.
He’s also an incredibly *good* human being. We connected for the first time years ago and I was immediately captured by his profound embodiment of the truths he teaches—a big heart and wonderful, loving presence matched with a deep sense of personal humility.
This book is fantastic. The central theme is that we have the capacity to observe and shape our own minds—an ability Dan calls “mindsight.” In short, the quality of our lives is shaped by our ability to cultivate our mindsight.
Let's jump in and explore some of my favorite Big Ideas:
1. What Is Mindsight? - It's awesome. Seriously.
2. Our Seventh Sense - 5 + 1 + 1.
3. Well-Being - The three fundamentals principles.
4. Integration - = Flexible + free.
5. River of Integration - Two banks: Rigidity + chaos.
Here’s to the diligent, patient, persistent effort required to push our consciousness up the hill so we can watch it roll down into the valley of coherence!
More goodness— including PhilosophersNotes on 300+ books in our *OPTIMIZE* membership program. Find out more at b[...]