Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Monica Leonelle
Monica Leonelle is a USA Today bestselling author best known for her book publishing and business expertise at TheWorldNeedsYourBook.com. Her nonfiction series, The Productive Novelist, has sold over 60,000 copies and helped thousands of writers write faster, become better storytellers, and find their way to success.
Before becoming an independent author, Monica led digital marketing efforts at Inc. 100 companies like Hansen’s Natural and Braintree. She’s been an avid blogger of marketing and business trends since 2007. Her ideas have been featured in AdAge, Forbes, Inc., Newsweek, The Huffington Post, the AMEX OpenForum, GigaOm, Mashable, Social Media Today, and the Christian Science Monitor.
Monica lives in a very, very old, 3-story home in St. Louis, MO with her husband, child, and adorable westie, Mia. Visit TheWorldNeedsYourBook.com to receive free resources and email updates about books, business, marketing, and more.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Titles By Monica Leonelle
With $300,000 in fundraising across 20+ Kickstarter projects, Russell Nohelty knows a thing or two about running publishing campaigns for novels, nonfiction, anthologies, comics, audio dramas, and more. He tested his system with 70+ authors with great results, and is now generously sharing everything he knows about the platform for authors with an audience of zero as well as those with a fanbase.
In this book you’ll find:
- Why using crowdfunding is an important avenue for authors and how authors are currently using it
- Choosing the right project for Kickstarter and designing your campaign
- Budgeting your campaign for profitability (and why it’s critical for your success!)
- The types of messages you should send to your audience vs. cold traffic
- Delivering your rewards for your Kickstarter project
- Keeping momentum going after Kickstarter
Or if it is possible, those words must be total crap—right?
And even if there is some semblance of writing talent in the draft, writing that fast means the plot and characters must make no sense… right?
No. Nope. Wrong!
Yes, you can write 50,000 good words on your novel in as little as a month, as long as you prepare yourself.
After helping thousands of authors develop the skills to hit huge word counts in a short period of time, I’ve found one thing in common across all authors, at all skill levels, from those who have never written a novel to those who publish professionally…
This one thing not only helps writers get their book to make sense (and read well!) on paper, but also helps them write it faster in the first place...
And it’s simple: You must know what you are going to write before you write it.
Most writers can at least double their writing speed (some can triple it), meaning they can do twice as many words in the same time period as they were doing before.
Additionally, these writers encounter fewer bouts of writer’s block and are more likely to see their book in print down the line.
Novel Writing Prep takes you through a simple, flexible, easy-to-implement outlining process that will give you a skeleton of ideas for completing a marathon writing month.
And best of all—you can go through all 30 planning prompts in just a few minutes a day over 30 days, or you can complete a pizza-and-netflix-and-writing binge over a weekend.
Doesn’t matter your skill level, your writing experience, or how you prefer to write a first draft.
For plotters, pantsers, newbies, veterans, and everyone in between—let Novel Writing Prep help you plan your novel before writing it, so you can write an awesome book faster.
Are you ready to go all in and say “yes!” to a fun-filled, exciting, productive adventure in writing? The world needs your book! Grab Novel Writing Prep today and make it happen.
Like many tools that have come before it, dictation is a new and exciting opportunity to write better, faster, and smarter. But many writers still believe it's not for them. Perhaps they've tried it in the past and it hasn't worked. Or perhaps this new technology is confusing, expensive, or frustrating and that's held them back from taking advantage of it.
If you're ready to take the next step and learn a new skill set that will give you a huge advantage over what other authors are doing today, grab Dictate Your Book and start working through the challenges that are holding you back from reaping the benefits of dictation.
- Why you need to get started with dictation, even if you tried it before and hated it!
- All of Monica’s best tips for making dictation work for you, whether you writing fiction or nonfiction
- Every piece of equipment Monica recommends, plus half a dozen ways to test dictation before you buy
- How to reimagine your writing process to accommodate dictation and how to get that clean draft easily
- Monica’s full setup for her innovative Walk ’n Talks which helped her hit 4,000+ words per hour
For authors who are ready to take their productivity to the next level, this book will help you get started!
Monica Leonelle digs into the best literature on forming habits and shares the top strategies professional authors are using to make sure they write each and every day. Each tip is easy to implement and will get you writing more in the "in-betweens"—the inactive moments of your life where you are commuting, waiting in line, or otherwise physically stuck with your brain unoccupied!
If you've struggled to find time to write due to a day job, family, or an active, busy lifestyle, this book will help you clear your blocks around writing for good and get you writing more often, just a few words at a time.
For writers who still haven't found their rhythm and don't have time for long experiments, tracking spreadsheets, or full pomodoros—establish a writing habit that actually fits into your life!
BONUS: This book includes the full 8x8 Challenge: 8 days to implement the very best shortcuts to writing more, 8 minutes at a time!
She shares all her insights, secrets, hacks, and data in this tome dedicated to improving your writing speeds, skyrocketing your monthly word count, and publishing more books. You'll learn:
- The Writing Faster Framework that Monica used to reach speeds of 3500+ new fiction words per hour
- The tracking systems you need to double or triple your writing speed in the next couple months
- The killer 4-step pre-production method Monica uses to combat writer's block, no matter what the project is!
- The secrets to developing a daily writing habit that other authors don't talk about enough
- How Monica went from publishing only one book per year from 2009-2013, to publishing 8 books in a single year in 2014
For serious authors, both beginner and advanced, who want to improve their output this year!
Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day will help you kick your excuses and get more writing done. As part of The Productive Novelist series, it explores how to hack your writing routine to be more efficient, more productive, and have a ton of fun in the process!
- The five main strategies for going wide in ebook and how authors decide
- All the places you can go wide across multiple formats—print, ebook, audiobook, and more—and the benefits and downsides of each
- The general strategies authors use to make money while having their books wide (and why they work or don’t work on various platforms)
- What are the market factors that matter amongst some of the biggest players in the industry?
- What devices are important to pay attention to and how do those affect the ebook, print, and audiobook markets?
- How does global ecommerce play a role in shaping the future of the book industry?
This is a question that all writers and authors struggle with. We aren’t always great at evaluating our own work, whether we are new to publishing or on our twentieth book. And the answers we get from other authors is usually to:
Write to a more popular trend
End the series faster
Hire a developmental editor
Try a new marketing tactic
Change the cover or blurb
Write the next book
But here’s the thing—your back catalog is not dead weight. You worked hard on your book or series and there’s no reason you can’t get it selling better…
Without having to write to a trend you’re not passionate about
Without having to add in tropes that don’t make sense
Without having to hire another editor (editors can’t fix a marketing issue within your story)
Without having to change your writing style
Without having to do what everyone else says is “the only thing that’s selling right now”
Editing For Marketability is new and different. It’s an advanced approach to writing-to-market that breaks down why books sell based on persuasive writing techniques found across storytelling, branding, psychology, public relations, and marketing. And yes, it applies readily to novels—I share the how in the book!
When you practice marketability editing, you take your story through the Book Virality Stack, a framework with six virality factors that helps you see where your book has marketing hooks and where it doesn’t. I teach you how to improve your marketability under each factor so you get to choose. I also teach you how you can better emphasize the various hooks you already have in your book if you’ve already published and don’t have time for a full edit.
You can use this framework to:
Make sure your next release is written to market
Fix an underperforming first-in-series or other reader magnet (so your series starts selling better)
Build a breakout book from the ground up (to bring visibility to your entire catalog)
You became a creative to express yourself and share your stories. Editing For Marketability helps you connect to a larger audience without sacrificing your characters, plot, or autonomy over your work.
In this book you’ll find:
- The various platforms where you can upload directly (and the ones that will be opening shortly)
- The different ways you can create audiobooks, including through artificial intelligence (and whether this is a wise use of time or not)
- Why audiobooks have become a necessity rather than an afterthought and how retailers are helping to market them
- The audio-streaming industry and how it’s shaping the course of audiobooks
- How to market your audiobooks
If you've read dozens of storytelling craft books and still don't have a strong answer to that question, you'll love how Story Symmetry doesn't give you another laundry list of items that your story is supposed to have.
Instead, Story Symmetry attempts to reveal the connections between the various parts of story so that you can more easily build cohesive plots, characters, themes, and settings—without having to stress over the decisions because (surprise!) you’ve probably already made them in another area of your book.
Included in the book:
- Monica's Story Symmetry Framework, which shows you the many layers of a story and how they each relate to each other
- Translation guides for building out your story (for example, how you can use character to build your theme, and vice-versa)
- The Ultimate Novel Plotter beat sheet to help you weave all the elements of your story into one cohesive document
- Tons of examples from some of the most popular stories of our time, including Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, the Twilight series, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, How To Get Away With Murder, A Song of Ice and Fire, and more.
If you’ve struggled to get 5-star reviews on your stories or build an audience of people dying to get your next book, Story Symmetry will help you identify areas of improvement and even show you how a few small tweaks in your currently available content can make a massive difference in your sales!
Formerly published under the title Nail Your Story. Revised edition updated in 2021.
In this book you’ll find:
- The many different types of fiction apps that are coming out (it’s a quickly evolving space!) and how independent authors are currently negotiating deals with them
- How to get into some of the biggest fiction apps and what they are looking for in terms of content, plus how they help you with marketing
- How to sign up for a variety of fiction apps and what does well on each one
- What subsidiary rights you need to understand and be well-versed in to start partnering with these companies (even while in KU)
- Contract issues, rights grabs, and other muck you want to protect yourself from while working with these apps
- Some thoughts on the long-term viability of these apps, where the market might go, and more
In this book you’ll find:
- All the different types of cross-promotion you can do (both within your brand and with other authors)
- How to use boxed sets and anthologies to cross-promote and/or build your customer base
- How to stack newsletter promotions, swaps, and social media builders to get better results on your launches
- How to build viral campaigns that help you grow your audience quickly (and how to convert them to buyers, too!)
- How list-aiming boxed sets, Kickstarter campaigns, and other launch-style marketing opportunities work
In this book you’ll find:
- All the different types of live events you can sell at
- How to actually make money back from live events when you factor in tickets, travel, accommodations, table, product production and shipping, and more
- The exact setup for a conference table that sells
- What else you need to bring to a conference in order to keep your energy up for the duration
- What you need to say to make book sales at your table
- Some really smart things you can do before and after the conference to maximize momentum and profits