- Create your FREE Amazon Business account to save up to 10% with Business-only prices and free shipping.
Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera - scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing "Send link," you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message & data rates may apply.
My Wildest Dream (Whisper Lake) Paperback – September 1, 2019
Enhance your purchase
Brodie McGuire was a bold, fearless skier whose dreams of Olympic gold vanished in one career-ending fall. Now, he's following in the footsteps of his grandfather as a cop in his hometown of Whisper Lake. Surrounded by the mountains he once conquered, Brodie is trying to find stability and purpose in his new future...when a case brings him together with a beautiful woman, whose cool reserve intrigues him more than he'd like.
Chelsea Cole was a country music singer on her way to the top when her music inspired a tragedy. Unable to face her fans or the spotlight, she went into hiding, reinventing herself as a small-town music teacher. But Whisper Lake has its secrets, and a problem with one of Chelsea's students introduces her to a brash and altogether too sexy cop who wreaks havoc on her plans for a quiet, drama-free life.
As Chelsea and Brodie work together to solve a mystery, sparks fly between them. Brodie tempts Chelsea out of her safe cocoon, but will more pain be waiting? And when Brodie pushes Chelsea to find her voice again, will she be one more dream he has to give up?
From #1 NYT Bestselling Author Barbara Freethy comes the second book in the WHISPER LAKE SERIES! Set in the majestic Colorado mountains, the books feature sexy romance, heartwarming emotion, family drama, compelling mystery, and a town full of fascinating characters. Once you come to visit, you'll never want to leave!
Don't miss any of the WHISPER LAKE novels:
Always With Me #1
My Wildest Dream #2
PRAISE FOR BARBARA FREETHY BOOKS
"ALWAYS WITH ME is a heartwarming second chance romance, with a captivating mystery, that keeps you reading and wondering what happens next." Doni - Goodreads Review
"A little mystery and a little romance all adds up to another great Barbara Freethy book. Can’t wait to spend more time with these new Whisper Lake friends!" Mary - Goodreads Review on Always With Me
"ALWAYS WITH ME IS A beautiful second chance love story with a bit of drama and mystery. Zach and Gianna are wonderful characters. Fell in love as young teens, broke each other's hearts and reconnecting now after many years and many other heartaches. It was interesting and complex. I loved it!" Peggy - Goodreads Review
"A fabulous, page-turning combination of romance and intrigue. Fans of Nora Roberts and Elizabeth Lowell will love this book." — NYT Bestselling Author Kristin Hannah on Golden Lies
"This book has it all: heart, community, and characters who will remain with you long after the book has ended. A wonderful story." — NYT Bestselling Author Debbie Macomber on Suddenly One Summer
"In the tradition of LaVyrle Spencer, gifted author Barbara Freethy creates an irresistible tale of family secrets, riveting adventure and heart- touching romance." — NYT Bestselling Author Susan Wiggs on Summer Secrets
"A warm and wonderful book about love, family and everything that’s important in life. Irresistible! I loved it!" — NYT Bestselling Author Susan Elizabeth Phillips on Ask Mariah
Books with Buzz
Discover the latest buzz-worthy books, from mysteries and romance to humor and nonfiction. Explore more
Frequently bought together
Special offers and product promotions
"In the tradition of LaVyrle Spencer, gifted author Barbara Freethy creates an irresistible tale of family secrets, riveting adventure and heart- touching romance." -- NYT Bestselling Author Susan Wiggs on Summer Secrets
"Freethy has a gift for creating complex, appealing characters and emotionally involving, often suspenseful, sometimes magical stories." -- Library Journal on Suddenly One Summer
"Freethy's skillful plotting and gift for creating sympathetic characters will ensure that few dry eyes will be left at the end of the story." -- Publishers Weekly on The Way Back Home
- Publisher : Hyde Street Press (September 1, 2019)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 298 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1944417605
- ISBN-13 : 978-1944417604
- Item Weight : 13.4 ounces
- Dimensions : 5.5 x 0.75 x 8.5 inches
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. The location must be picturesque, usually in the mountains or near a lake. Whisper Lake is a small town near a lake in the Colorado Rockies.
2. The hero must be a handsome cop or firefighter (or similar heroic occupation) who suffers from a physical or emotional wound of some sort. Brodie McGuire's career as a champion skier ended in a tragic accident; now he's a cop in Whisper Lake.
3. The heroine must be beautiful but emotionally wounded in some way, usually hiding a painful secret she's afraid to share with anyone. Chelsea Cole ran from country music stardom because a young man killed himself after one of Chelsea's songs inspired his girlfriend to break up with him. Blaming herself for his death, Chelsea stopped singing and now works as a music teacher in Whisper Lake.
4. The hero and heroine must feel an immediate attraction that quickly turns into true love, usually within a few days or a couple of weeks. Brodie and Chelsea share seemingly endless dialogue about their feelings and problems, but physical interactions are limited to kisses and "closed door" sex. They're "in love" within two weeks.
5. The reader must be introduced (often at length) to the main couple's friends and relatives, most of whom will play major roles in other books in the series. These secondary characters don't contribute much to the current story and often detract from the main plot.
6. The plot must contain an element of danger, usually in the form of a disgruntled ex-boyfriend or a crazy stalker. In this book, Chelsea's ex-boyfriend (Austin) shows up in town and stalks her for a while, but that plotline fizzles and he simply disappears from the story. There's also a subplot about mysterious housefires and a crazy arsonist, which leads to a bit of excitement when Chelsea and Brodie enter a burning house to rescue a cat.
7. The main couple's "issues" must be resolved. Is Brodie happy as a small town cop, or will he return to the world of skiing by interviewing sports figures and covering the Olympics on television in Los Angeles? Will Chelsea be content as a music teacher, or will she reveal her guilty secret, start singing again, and resume her career as a country music star? I'm not saying.
8. Finally, after a slow narrative that's 90% talk and 10% mild action, the story must have a guaranteed Happily Ever After ending, followed by a sample of the next book in the small town series.
If you enjoy a story with these familiar tropes, you'll probably like this book. I found no grammatical errors, no explicit sex, and no vulgar language. Three dull stars overall.
Brodie McGuire woke up knowing someone was in his back yard. As a police officer in Whicper Lake, he had not been in bed long. Now, he quietly got out of bed to investigate. Someone had started burning empty houses and since he didn’t have furniture in his front rooms, it looked like his house was empty. Was it someone trying to burn it? When he got outside, he found it was his neighbor looking for a cat. He startled her as she had just caught the cat and caused her to drop it. She had to get the cat and take it indoors because he was her neighbor’s cat and she didn’t want to lose him.
After the cat was in the house, Brodie introduced himself to his neighbor. She knew that he was an ex-Olympian who had been going for the gold that year but was in an accident and could no longer ski. He didn’t like talking about it, so turned his attention to her. She was Christie Cole, a second grade teacher. She had come to Whisper Lake to get away from her music career. She didn’t want anyone to know who she had been nor to ask her anything about her past. Could she keep her secrets around Brodie when he was so interested in her? g
Top reviews from other countries
Brodie and Chelsea what will result
Wow at 31 %
Oh my my my 37% in a massive revelation by Chelsea
Will Brodie make a decision
And more going on for Chelsea
I became so absorbed I forgot to carry on writing my thoughts - but more and more happened
By 75% things really started to evolve
78% getting towards big decisions
81% is Chelsea right or wrong
At this stage I brought book 3
Oh my 82 % in
93 % I have a feeling
What an ending, lessons learnt with honesty
Now to start book 3