Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Paul Bergman
Customers Also Bought Items By
This book demystifies the complex rules and procedures of criminal law. It explains how the system works, why police, lawyers, and judges do what they do, and what suspects, defendants, and prisoners can expect. It also provides critical information on working with a lawyer.
In plain English, The Criminal Law Handbook covers:
- search and seizure
- arrest, booking, and bail
- Miranda rights
- plea bargains
- common defenses
- working with defense attorneys
- constitutional rights
- juvenile court
- preliminary hearings
- public defenders
- victims’ rights
This edition is completely updated, covering the latest in criminal law, including U.S. Supreme Court cases.
Cracking the Case Method, 2d ed., provides concise and down-to-earth information on how to succeed in law school by answering these questions and many others. Students need to know what to study and how the opinions they read and class meetings relate to law school exams. This book provides an in-depth examination of these critical topics:
- The Case Method and its relationship to Socratic-style questioning and effective legal analysis.
- Semester-long strategies for learning how to “think like a lawyer” by getting the most out of reading opinions, attending classes, outlining, and preparing effectively for exams.
- How to read cases with a focus on legal issues, legal principles, and judges’ rationales for adopting and applying those principles.
- How to prepare case briefs and use them to prepare for class.
- The major types of legal argument, with many illustrations drawn from actual cases.
- Using class discussions as opportunities to practice legal analysis, based on annotated excerpts from actual first-year class discussions.
- Preparing for exams by outlining course materials and practicing exam-taking skills.
- An approach for analyzing exam questions and writing effective exam answers that display legal analytical skills, with illustrations drawn from actual essay exam questions and annotated answers.
This book provides indispensable information to anybody who is considering applying to law school, preparing for his or her 1L year, or who currently is in law school.
Many disputes are too big for small claims court but too small to justify a lawyer’s fee. Fortunately, if you are willing to learn the courtroom ropes, you can successfully handle your own case from start to finish.
Represent Yourself in Court breaks the pretrial and trial process down into easy-to-understand steps. Armed with these clear and thorough instructions, you’ll be well prepared to:
- file court papers
- get help from an attorney or legal coach
- obtain and prepare your evidence, including social media postings
- handle depositions
- line up and prepare witnesses
- present an opening statement
- cross examine hostile witnesses
- make and respond to objections
- pick a jury if necessary
- deal with the court clerk and judge
Whether you are a plaintiff or a defendant, this book will help you handle a bankruptcy, divorce, landlord-tenant dispute, breach of contract case, small business dispute—or any other civil lawsuit. Also a great resource for law students.
This new edition is completely updated to include the latest rules and court procedures.
A perfect book for law students, lawyers, legal assistants, witnesses, expert witnesses, and anyone who wants to represent themselves in court, Nolo's Deposition Handbook provides all the information you need to sail through the deposition process with confidence. This edition contains updated statutes, cases, and rules -- plus, new material on "electronic discovery" which applies to information stored in computers, including records and emails.
Whether you face a criminal case, work in law enforcement, or simply want to know more about the criminal law system, this book can help.
Criminal Law: A Desk Reference covers the basic to the complex in alphabetical order. Whether it’s “alibi” or “writ of habeas corpus,” the book makes it easy to find and understand what you’re looking for. It even provides links to articles about the law in your state.
With this book you’ll be able to:
- learn the law with real-life examples
- understand procedures from arraignment through sentencing
- determine defenses to common crimes
- examine actual criminal statutes
- understand juvenile court
- know how appeals work, and
- learn how to work with a lawyer.
This edition has been thoroughly updated to reflect the latest criminal law trends and Supreme Court rulings.
The Sixth Edition expands the coverage of the Federal Rules of Evidence, explaining and illustrating how to lay foundations that satisfy evidentiary requirements set forth in the rules. Foundational requirements for electronic records and many other types of exhibits, including those prepared by courtroom graphics experts, also gain additional prominence in the new edition. Some of the illustrative examinations and arguments in the new edition are drawn from trials that took place in a variety of eras. For example, the chapter on closing argument compares arguments made in the murder trial of Euphiletus (Greece, circa 400 B.C.) with those made in the trial of OJ Simpson (1995). Among the other trials from which illustrations are drawn are those of the Rosenbergs (the so-called “atomic spies,” 1953), the Menendez Brothers (1991), the “Hillmon case” (1890’s), and the “Triangle Shirtwaist Fire” case (1911). The illustrations from these cases are not only interesting, but also suggestive of enduring principles of persuasion.
Another feature of the Sixth Edition are analyses of examples drawn from classic courtroom films such as Anatomy of a Murder, 12 Angry Men and My Cousin Vinny. Combined with these new and expanded features, the Sixth Edition preserves many of the features that have made the book so valuable to readers. For example, the book continues to carefully explain principles, illustrate them, and analyze the illustrations. Popular “models,” such as the Credibility Model and the Safety Model of Cross Examination, also appear in the new edition. Also carried forward is the book’s light tone which makes it not only useful but also a good read.