Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
Customers Also Bought Items By
As you advance from student to apprentice to journeyman status, you log a lot of study hours. Make the most of those hours with this fully updated, sharply focused self-study course. It contains everything you need to know about electrical theory and applications, clearly defined and logically organized, with illustrations for clarity and review questions at the end of each chapter to help you test your knowledge.
* Understand electron theory and how electricity affects matter
* Recognize applications for both alternating and direct current
* Comprehend Ohm's Law and the laws governing magnetic circuits
* Learn from detailed drawings and diagrams
* Explore trigonometry and alternative methods of calculation
* Identify instruments and measurements used in electrical applications
* Apply proper grounding and ground testing, insulation testing, and power factor correction
That's why, especially if you're not an electrician, you need the clear, well-ordered guidance in this book-the same one you may have seen in your father's toolbox. Now fully updated to cover home networking and other 21st century developments, this all-new edition gives you the guidelines, rules, and step-by-step instructions you need to do the job safely and with confidence.
* Understand how to use the National Electrical Code (NEC) and meet its requirements
* Install a safe electrical service entrance and branch circuits
* Use the appropriate cables, wires, conduits, and boxes for your home's needs
* Find specialized information about electric heating, mobile home wiring, and other unique applications
* Learn to install wiring for cable TV, telephones, broadband Internet, home networks, and security systems
* Be able to make accurate load calculations
The main body of the book is followed by a set of essays and a supplemental narrative that were composed as the book was being written.
For those of you who may not have read the marvelous A Lodging of Wayfaring Men, I strongly encourage you to do so.
-- Capital Reward Blog
The novel leads us through a clever plot where the principles of freedom and individuality lead to a free market, one not controlled by governments or by tax men. The narrative is gripping. The reader cannot lay the book down.
-- Dr. Thomas Dorman
As full as my reading schedule is, I plan to make time to return to A Lodging of Wayfaring Men in order to glean the most from this interesting, thought-provoking tale.
-- Sunni Maravillosa, Free-Market.net
Of the twenty five or so people I worked with last fall, all of them revered A Lodging of Wayfaring Men as a bible. They referred to the house and their community effort as a Lodge. We all felt it was modeled on the Free Souls.
-- HW, underground programmer
One of the most thought-provoking books to hit the information highway in recent times.
-- David MacGregor, Sovereign Living
To pass your state and local licensing exams, you need knowledge and confidence. This comprehensive review guide gives you plenty of both. It's packed with sample questions to help you focus your efforts, review material on all aspects of the 2011 National Electrical Code (NEC), the lowdown on business competency requirements, and tips for studying and test-taking that will help you conquer anxiety ahead.
- Learn the definitions, specifications, and regulations of the 2011 NEC
- Acquire test-taking skills with examples of questions and answers that are similar to the ones on the license tests
- Brush up on taxes, unemployment, workers compensation, OSHA, lien laws, and other aspects of the business competency exam
- Boost your confidence with studying and test-taking tips
A reliable and trusted resource for many decades, this newest edition delivers all of the vital content electricians need to made the grade and advance their careers.
Now fully updated for the 2002 National Electrical Code, the Electrician's Pocket Manual is packed with charts, conversions, photographs, diagrams, code standards, and other information you need on the job.
Find answers quickly and easily
* Explains updated maintenance and construction standards
* Provides details on motors, controllers, and circuits
* Examines electronic components and communications wiring
* Features 28 pages of drawings, diagrams, and plans
* Offers guidelines for dealing with hazardous location wiring
* Covers generators, mechanical power transmission, and electrical power distribution
* Includes a chapter on tools and safety
To succeed in any of today's electrical specialties, you must first understand the fundamentals. This concise guidebook, fully updated and revised to comply with the National Electrical Code,? provides that solid foundation in electrical theory, circuitry, and common applications. Whether you're pursuing an electrical career, need a refresher course, or simply want to understand the wiring in your home, you'll learn the basics from this book.
* Examine the fundamentals of magnetism and electric-ity, conductors, insulators, and circuits
* Study common applications including house wiring, lighting, cables, electric heating, and generating
* Become familiar with test procedures and electromagnetic induction
* Understand inductive and capacitive AC circuits and the principles of alternating current
* Explore alarm and intercom wiring, home circuiting, and multiple switching
* Find out how generating stations and substations function
* Learn from clear, specific text, functional illustrations, and review questions in every chapter
Important Notice: Media content referenced within the product description or the product text may not be available in the ebook version.
Over the past hundred years, electronic technology--especially digital--has transformed our world. If you're in the electrical trade or studying to be, there's a lot to learn and even more to keep up with. You need a directory of the basics, with chapter summaries, common symbols and abbreviations, a glossary, and more--one that's both study guide and ready reference. Here it is.
* Understand Ohm's Law, magnetism, insulators, and conductors
* Review circuit diagrams and principles of parallel circuits
* Examine electromagnetic induction, capacitance, and resistance
* Explore fiber optics, LED, laser, and radio wave technologies
* Delve into digital electronics, including logic circuits and binary code
* Learn information vital to maintaining and repairing audio systems and televisions
* Enhance your knowledge of computer electronics
To pass the state licensing exam, you need knowledge and confidence. This comprehensive review guide gives you plenty of both. It's packed with sample questions to help you focus your efforts, review material on all aspects of the 2002 National Electrical Code (NEC), the lowdown on business competency requirements, and tips for studying and test-taking that will help you conquer any anxiety.
* Learn the definitions, specifications, and regulations of the 2002 NEC
* Find answers to questions you can expect on license exams
* Brush up on taxes, unemployment, workers compensation, OSHA, lien laws, and other aspects of the business competency exam
* Get up to speed on telecommunications issues
* Review electrical laws, components, and circuits, motors, controllers, generators, distribution, welding, transformers, safety, and more
* Boost your confidence with studying and test-taking tips
As an electrician, your interest in the NEC is application specific. You need the parts that relate to your job, clearly organized so you can find what you need, and geared to what you do. This book is the 2002 NEC for the installer, with easy-to-follow chapter headings to help you find important information quickly, and explanations that make sense. You'll want it with you on every job.
* Find those parts of the NEC that matter to your job - nothing more
* Understand all general and basic requirements
* Identify specific standards for multiple buildings sharing service
* Know the rules regarding surge arrestors, grounding connections for AC systems, and grounding for separately derived systems
* Review the requirements for wiring in all types of cable and conduit
* Look into code requirements for specialized applications like hospitals, motion picture studios and theaters, RV parks, and swimming pools
The voluminous 2005 National Electrical Code (NEC)® affects many disciplines, but what you need to know is how it influences your work as an installer. Organized by the type of wiring involved, this indispensable guide extracts and explains only the information that applies to installation. It's a practical reference that highlights what's new, what's changed, and what you must do to comply.
- Understand your responsibilities under the 2005 NEC
- Become familiar with new guidelines for required circuits and load calculations
- Learn new grounding definitions and requirements for feeder panels
- Identify the types of conduit and tubing needed for various installations
- Recognize where guidelines for lighting fixtures have changed
- Quickly locate code sections relating to HVAC, home appliances, swimming pools, and communication systems
- See how to bring old installations up to code