Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Phil White
Customers Also Bought Items By
Good posture is about more than standing up straight: It can change your mood, alleviate pain, rid your body of stressful tension, and may be the difference between getting that raise you've wanted and attracting your ideal mate, or not. But in order to reap all those benefits, the body must be properly integrated. Celebrity movement coach and manual therapist Aaron Alexander offers a revolutionary approach to body alignment to build strength, reduce pain, and put you on a direct path to peak performance that is both fun and accessible.
The Align Method centers on five daily optimizations that can be easily integrated into any workout, mindfulness practice, or daily life activity:
- Floor Sitting
- Nose Breathing
As the rewards for winning have increased, it's no surprise that sports team budgets have followed suit. Sure, the athletic program at the University of Texas brought in $161 million last year, but the Longhorns also spent $154 million over the same period. Fifteen other college athletics program also racked up over $100 million in annual expenses. But that’s child's play compared to the outgoings at the world's most valuable soccer team, Manchester United, which spent more than $500 million in 2015.
The trouble is that all this spending often fails to yield better results. Teams in all sports have tried just about every gimmick to "hack" their way to better performance. But as they've gotten stuck in stats, mired in backroom politics, and diverted by the facilities arms race, many have lost sight of what should've been their primary focus all along: the game itself.
In Game Changer, Fergus Connolly shows how to improve performance with evidence-based analysis and athlete-focused training. Through his unprecedented experiences with teams in professional football, basketball, rugby, soccer, Aussie Rules, and Gaelic football, as well as with elite military units, Connolly has discovered how to break down the common elements in all sports to their basic components so that each moment of any game can be better analyzed, whether you're a player or a coach. The lessons of game day then can be used to create valuable learning experiences in training, evaluate the quality of your team’s performance, and home in on what’s working and what isn’t.
Game Changer also shows you how to expand training focus from players' physical qualities to also advance athletes technically, tactically, and psychologically. His TTPP Model not only helps players continually progress but also stops treating them like a disposable commodity and instead prioritizes athlete health.
Bringing together the latest evidence-based practices and lessons from business, psychology, biology, and many other fields, Game Changer is the first book of its kind that helps coaches, athletes, and casual fans:
- Create a cohesive game plan that improves performance through defined objectives, strategies, and tactics
- Put statistical analysis and technology into context so teams can bypass the hype and get meaningful results
- Identify dominant qualities to maximize during training and limiting factors to improve
- Create realistic, immersive learning experiences for individual players and the entire team that deliver defined outcomes
- Structure player development with a new, holistic model that puts athlete health first and helps reduce the chance of injury and burnout
- Balance training load so that all players are fresh and ready to play at their best in competition
- Rethink coaching and organizational leadership and enhance communication, group dynamics, and player interaction
- Create a winning team culture.
As a result of our fitness tech addiction, we've lost awareness of what we're doing, how we're feeling, and what's going on around us. This is bad enough in the gym, but when we get outside, the constant checking of a tiny screen truly wreaks havoc, downgrading what should be a rich experience into yet another task we need to complete to meet our daily goals. And if we fall short, we feel inadequate. There’s also the issue of data inaccuracy, with many device makers now admitting that their gadgets provide only estimates. So why do we continue to obsess over data and treat it as gospel truth?
It's time to stop, take a breath, and hit the reset button in a big way. Unplugged provides a blueprint for using technology to meet your health and performance goals in a much smarter way, while reconnecting to your instincts and the natural world. In addition to sharing the performance expertise of Brian Mackenzie and the scientific insight of Dr. Andy Galpin, Unplugged features exclusive stories and advice from elite athletes and world-renowned experts like Laird Hamilton, Tim Ferriss, Kai Lenny, Kelly Starrett, Steven Kotler, Erin Cafaro, Lenny Wiersma, Dr. Frank Merritt, and Brandon Rager.
Reading Unplugged will enable you to:
• Understand both the value and the limitations of technology in athletic performance, fitness, health, and lifestyle situations
• Know how and when to utilize physical activity technologies in your everyday life—and when not to
• Avoid the common mistakes that most people make with wearables and tracking apps
• Understand which technologies and tests are most effective and which are a waste of money
• End your addiction to fitness technology and start utilizing it as a tool for cueing, learning, and sensing instead of as a taskmaster that stresses you out
• Improve self-awareness and increase self-reliance
• Re-engage with nature by spending less time indoors and more time outside
• Rediscover the value of coaches' expertise, curation, and intuition, which technology can't replace
• Take back control of your health, fitness, and performance with the Unplugged training protocol.
Having spent his "wilderness years" in the late 1930s warning of the dangers of diplomatic and military weakness and the growing menace of Nazism, in 1946 Churchill made a trip to Fulton, Missouri, to deliver a speech entitled "The Sinews of Peace" -- now known as the Iron Curtain Speech -- which served to fundamentally define the dangers of Soviet totalitarian Communism. This is the story of that pivotal speech and how it came to be given, and a portrait of the irrepressible man who delivered it.
In the three decades since Kool Herc first put the same record on two side-by-side turntables, DJs have moved out of city parks, house and block parties, and the darkened booths of nightclubs, and onto center stage, performing before admiring crowds of thousands. They have not only given rise to hip-hop and house—DJs have influenced fashion, film, TV, and more.
With On the Record, Scratch DJ Academy, the premiere institution for DJ education, brings together years of training and expertise to create an authoritative guide to the dynamic art of DJing. More than just a "how-to," this is a sonic adventure, guiding you through forty years of music, creativity, and culture. From beat matching to body tricks, Grandmaster Flash to Fatboy Slim, the Bronx to Ibiza, On the Record is an all-in-one guide. So whether you're learning the ropes, considering going pro, or just want insight into a broader range of music, this book is for you.