Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Rex Miller
Customers Also Bought Items By
The most complete, up-to-date guide to industrial electricity
This practical resource offers comprehensive coverage of the entire electrical field and its equipment, including troubleshooting and repair. You'll learn how to read and interpret schematics and drawings and safely work with all electrical components and systems on the jobsite.
The Second Edition features a new chapter on robotics, a new 16-page color insert, and information on the latest codes, regulations, and devices. Filled with more than 650 photos and diagrams, study questions, review problems, and detailed answers, this career-building tool helps you enhance your electrical and electronics expertise and apply it effectively in the workplace.
Industrial Electricity and Motor Controls, Second Edition covers:
- Tools and equipment
- Safety in the workplace
- Symbols used in electrical wiring diagrams and ladder diagrams
- Control circuits and diagrams
- Magnetism and solenoids
- Electric motors
- Timers and sensors
- Solenoids and valves
- Motor starting methods
- Solid-state reduced-voltage starters
- Speed control and monitoring
- Motor control and protection
- Three-phase controllers
- Power generation
- Power distribution systems
- Programmable controllers
- Careers in electricity
Discover how healthy buildings, culture, and people lead to high profits
Organizations and employees now spend an average of $18,000 per year per employee for health costs, a 61% increase in 10 years. Every indicator projects these costs will double before 2030. This is an unsustainable path. These costs are the tip to an even bigger iceberg, the hidden costs of time out of the office, distraction, disengagement, and turnover. The Healthy Workplace Nudge explains the findings of research on 100 large organizations that have tackled the problems of employee health costs and disengagement in five fresh ways:
- Well-being leads to health and high performance
- Wake up to the fact that 95% of traditional wellness programs fail to improve health or lower costs
- Behavioral economics has become a new powerful tool to nudge healthy behavior
- Healthy buildings are now cost effective and produce your strongest ROI to improving health
- Leaders who develop healthy cultures achieve sustainable high performance and employee wellbeing
In addition to proving highly effective, these approaches represent a fraction of the cost sunk into traditional wellness and engagement programs. The book explains how to create a workplace that is good for people, releases them to what they do best and enjoy most, and produces great and profitable work.
• Find actionable strategies and tactics you can put into use today
• Retain happy, productive talent
• Cut unnecessary spending and boost your bottom line
• Benefit from real-world research and proven practiceIf you’re a leader who cares about the health and happiness of your employees, a human resource professional, or a professional who develops, designs, builds, or outfits workplace environments to improve employee health and wellbeing, this is one book you’ll want to have on hand.
Pumps and hydraulic equipment are now used in more facets of industry than ever before. Whether you are a pump operator or you encounter pumps and hydraulic systems through your work in another skilled trade, a basic knowledge of the practical features, principles, installation, and maintenance of such systems is essential. You'll find it all here, fully updated with real-world examples and 21st-century applications.
- Learn to install and service pumps for nearly any application
- Understand the fundamentals and operating principles of pump controls and hydraulics
- Service and maintain individual pumping devices that use smaller motors
- See how pumps are used in robotics, taking advantage of hydraulics to lift larger, heavier loads
- Handle new types of housings and work with the latest electronic controls
- Know the appropriate servicing schedule for different types of pumping equipment
- Install and troubleshoot special-service pumps
If you need information about installing, repairing, and maintaining any type of electric motor, this book belongs in your toolbox. Completely revised and illustrated, it covers principles of motor function, choosing and replacing motors, identifying and repairing common problems, performing routine maintenance, and more, all without excessive math. It's the guide your father relied on, now fully updated for the twenty-first century.
* Understand both AC and DC motor function and operation
* Repair small series motors and troubleshoot special types of motors
* Compare methods of motor control, including various switches, starters, and timing relays
* Troubleshoot fractional horsepower motors, including split-phase induction, capacitor start, repulsion, shaded-pole, hysteresis synchronous, and universal motors
* Learn the best procedures for stripping and rewinding armatures and stators
* Modify AC motors for speed control
* Discover which tools and supplies you'll always need
A Practical, On-the-Job HVAC Guide
Applicable to residential, commercial, and industrial jobs, this essential handbook puts a wealth of real-world information at your fingertips. HVAC Troubleshooting Guide shows you how to read, interpret, and prepare schedules, mechanical plans, and electrical schematics. This handy resource will aid you in your everyday tasks and keep you up to date with the latest facts, figures, and devices. The book includes numerous illustrations, tables, and charts, troubleshooting tips, safety precautions, resource directories, and a glossary of terms.
HVAC Troubleshooting Guide helps you:
- Identify and safely use tools and equipment (both new and old)
- Use heat pumps and hot air furnaces
- Calculate ventilation requirements
- Work with refrigeration equipment and the new refrigerants
- Utilize control devices, including solenoids and relays
- Operate, select, and repair electric motors
- Work with condensers, compressors, and evaporators
- Monitor the flow of refrigerant with valves, tubing, and filters
- Comply with the Section 608 refrigerant recycling rule
- Program thermostats
- Insulate with batts, sheet, tubing covers, and foam
- Work with solid-state controls
- Understand electrical and electronic symbols used in schematics
Whether you're building a storage shed or your dream house, the same principles govern choosing a site, setting the foundation, erecting the walls, and putting on the roof. This handy how-to guide has been totally revised and updated to cover new building materials and the latest techniques in construction and framing. It's where to find answers and solutions, from the first stake to the last roofing nail.
* Choose an appropriate site and lay out the structure
* Construct a foundation that meets structural needs and weather conditions
* Work with block building materials
* Understand balloon frame, post-and-beam, and platform frame construction
* Calculate rafter length and choose the right roofing materials
* Install skylights, cornices, doors, windows, and various types of siding
Get Everything You Need to Help You Pass the Certified Welding Exams on the First Try!
The Welding Licensing Exam Study Guide contains everything needed to pass the Welding Code Book and Fundamentals exams with flying colors. This career-building resource includes calculations and troubleshooting tips that equip you with the skills, knowledge, and confidence required to ace these certification tests.
The Welding Licensing Exam Study Guide features:
- Over 850 exam-style multiple choice and true/false questions & answers
- Numerous welding calculations and troubleshooting tips
- More than 200 detailed drawings and illustrations
- In-depth coverage of welding tools and their use
- The latest welding safety procedures
- Guidance on studying welding methods
- SI and English units for all problems and equations
Improve Your Grasp of Every Welding Exam Topic
• Welding and Cutting Processes: Oxyacetylene Welding and Cutting • Shielded Metal Arc Welding • Flux Cored Arc Welding • Gas Metal Arc Welding • Gas Tungsten Arc Welding • Plasma Arc Welding and Cutting • Braze Welding • Brazing • Soldering • Metals and Metal Alloys: Cast Iron • Wrought Iron • Carbon Steels • Low and High Alloy Steels • Refractory and Reactive Metals • Galvanized Metals • Aluminum • Copper • Nickel • Magnesium • Lead, Tin, and Zinc • Tool and Die Steels • Hardfacing • Joints and Welds: Types of Joints • Welding Positions • Types of Welds • Weld Terminology • Welding Symbols • Common Welding Problems • Tips for Producing Good Welds • And Much More!
This fully revised guide gives you plumbing essentials, illustrations, tips, shortcuts - the lowdown on brazing, soldering, pipe fittings, commercial water coolers, automatic bathroom systems, and more.
All this and much more
* Includes tables, diagrams, and working drawings
* Provides necessary math and metric information
* Features a chapter on dental office plumbing
* Explains and identifies the right plumbing tools for each job
* Illustrates appropriate vents and venting methods
* Covers the Sloan flush valve, Oasis water coolers, the Sovent system, 1.6-gallon flush toilets, and solar system water heaters
* Useful for homeowners as well as plumbing professionals
Ace the Major HVAC Licensing Exams!
Featuring more than 800 practice questions and answers, HVAC Licensing Study Guide, Second Edition provides everything you need to prepare for and pass the major HVAC licensing exams on the first try. This practical, up-to-date resource is filled with essential calculations, troubleshooting tips for the job site, hundreds of detailed illustrations, and information on current codes and standards. Thoroughly revised to cover the latest equipment and techniques, this career-building guide helps you:
- Master the material most likely to appear on the ARI, NATE, ICE, RSES, and HVAC licensing exams
- Improve your test-taking ability with 800+ true-false and multiple-choice questions and answers
- Learn about the latest refrigerant usage and regulations
- Keep up with the most recent codes and standards
- Acquire the confidence, skills, and knowledge needed to pass your exam
Covers key HVAC topics, including:
- Heat sources
- Heating systems
- Boilers, burners, and burner systems
- Piping systems
- Ductwork sizing
- Cooling and distribution systems
- Refrigeration equipment and processes
- Filters and air flow
- Maintenance, servicing, and safety
- Humidification, dehumidification, and psychrometrics
- EPA-refrigerant reclaimers
- Heating circuits
- Safety on the job
- Trade associations and codes
Education in the U.S. has been under fire for quite some time, and for good reason. The numbers alone tell a very disconcerting story: according to various polls, 70% of teachers are disengaged. Add to that the fact that the United States ranks last among industrialized nations for college graduation levels, and it's evident there's a huge problem that needs to be addressed. Yet the current education system and its school buildings—with teachers standing in front of classrooms and lecturing to students—have gone largely unchanged since the 19th century.
Humanizing the Education Machine tackles this tough issue head-on. It describes how the education system has become ineffective by not adapting to fit students' needs, learning styles, perspectives, and lives at home. This book explains how schools can evolve to engage students and involve parents. It serves to spread hope for reform and equip parents, educators, administrators, and communities to:
- Analyze the pitfalls of the current U.S. education system
- Intelligently argue the need to reform the current landscape of education
- Work to make a difference in the public education system
- Be an informed advocate for your child or local school system
If you're a concerned parent or professional looking for a trusted resource on the need for education reform, look no further than Humanizing the Education Machine. This illuminating resource provides the information you need to become a full partner in the new human-centered learning revolution.
Here, fully updated to include new machines and electronic/digital controls, is the ultimate guide to basic machine shop equipment and how to use it. Whether you're a professional machinist, an apprentice, a trade student, or a handy homeowner, this fully illustrated volume helps you define tools and use them properly and safely. It's packed with review questions for students, and loaded with answers you need on the job.
Mark Richard Miller is a Professor and Chairman of the Industrial Technology Department at Texas A&M University in Kingsville, Texas.
* Understand basic machine shop practice and safety measures
* Recognize the variations in similar tools and the purposes they serve
* Learn recommended methods of mounting work in different machines
* Obtain a complete working knowledge of numerically controlled machines and the operations they perform
* Review procedures for safe and efficient use of cutting tools and cutters
* Expand your knowledge with clear, step-by-step illustrations of proper equipment set-up and operation