Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Robert Stackowiak
Customers Also Bought Items By
Enterprise Information Architecture for a New Age: Big Data and The Internet of Things, provides guidance in designing an information architecture to accommodate increasingly large amounts of data, massively large amounts of data, not only from traditional sources, but also from novel sources such everyday objects that are fast becoming wired into global Internet. No business can afford to be caught out by missing the value to be mined from the increasingly large amounts of available data generated by everyday devices.
The text provides background as to how analytical solutions and enterprise architecture methodologies and concepts have evolved (including the roles of data warehouses, business intelligence tools, predictive analytics, data discovery, Big Data, and the impact of the Internet of Things). Then you’re taken through a series of steps by which to define a future state architecture and create a plan for how to reach that future state.
Enterprise Information Architecture for a New Age: Big Data and The Internet of Things helps you gain an understanding of the following:
- Implications of Big Data from a variety of new data sources (including data from sensors that are part of the Internet of Things) upon an information architecture
- How establishing a vision for data usage by defining a roadmap that aligns IT with line-of-business needs is a key early step
- The importance and details of taking a step-by-step approach when dealing with shifting business challenges and changing technology capabilities
- How to mitigate risk when evaluating existing infrastructure and designing and deploying new infrastructure
Enterprise Information Architecture for a New Age: Big Data and The Internet of Things combines practical advice with technical considerations. Author Robert Stackowiak and his team are recognized worldwide for their expertise in large data solutions, including analytics. Don’t miss your chance to read this book and gain the benefit of their advice as you look forward in thinking through your own choices and designing your own architecture to accommodate the burgeoning explosion in data that can be analyzed and converted into valuable information to drive your business forward toward success.
This book provides a brief history of Design Thinking and an overview of the process. It then drills down into more detail regarding methods and tools used in a Design Thinking workshops leading to useful prototypes. Guidance is provided on:
- Preparing for a Design Thinking Workshop
- Uncovering potential business problems that might be solved
- Prioritizing potential solutions
- Identifying and characterizing stakeholders
- Choosing the right prototypes for development
- Limiting scope and best practices in prototype building
What You Will Learn
- Gain foundational knowledge of what Design Thinking is and when to apply the technique
- Discover preparation and facilitation techniques used in workshops
- Know how ideas are generated and then validated through prototyping
- Understand implementation best practices, including change management considerations
Who This Book Is For
Business decision makers and project stakeholders as well as IT project owners who seek a method leading to fast development of successful software and AI prototypes demonstrating real business value. Also for data scientists, developers, and systems integrators who are interested in facilitating or utilizing Design Thinking workshops to drive momentum behind potential software development and AI projects.
Written by Oracle insiders, this indispensable guide distills an enormous amount of information about the Oracle Database into one compact volume. Ideal for novice and experienced DBAs, developers, managers, and users, Oracle Essentials walks you through technologies and features in Oracle’s product line, including its architecture, data structures, networking, concurrency, and tuning.
Complete with illustrations and helpful hints, this fifth edition provides a valuable one-stop overview of Oracle Database 12c, including an introduction to Oracle and cloud computing. Oracle Essentials provides the conceptual background you need to understand how Oracle truly works.
- A complete overview of Oracle databases and data stores, and Fusion Middleware products and features
- Core concepts and structures in Oracle’s architecture, including pluggable databases
- Oracle objects and the various datatypes Oracle supports
- System and database management, including Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Security options, basic auditing capabilities, and options for meeting compliance needs
- Performance characteristics of disk, memory, and CPU tuning
- Basic principles of multiuser concurrency
- Oracle’s online transaction processing (OLTP)
- Data warehouses, Big Data, and Oracle’s business intelligence tools
- Backup and recovery, and high availability and failover solutions
Microsoft-specific topics addressed include: deploying edge devices and pushing intelligence to the edge; connecting IoT devices to Azure and landing data there, applying Azure Machine Learning, analytics, and Cognitive Services; roles for Microsoft solution accelerators and managed solutions; and integration of the Azure footprint with legacy infrastructure.
The book concludes with a discussion of best practices in defining and developing solutions and creating a plan for success.
What You Will Learn
- Design the right IoT architecture to deliver solutions for a variety of project needs
- Connect IoT devices to Azure for data collection and delivery of services
- Use Azure Machine Learning and Cognitive Services to deliver intelligence in cloud-based solutions and at the edge
- Understand the benefits and tradeoffs of Microsoft's solution accelerators and managed solutions
- Investigate new use cases that are described and apply best practices in deployment strategies
- Integrate cutting-edge Azure deployments with existing legacy data sources
Who This Book Is For
Developers and architects new to IoT projects or new to Microsoft Azure IoT components as well as readers interested in best practices used in architecting IoT solutions that utilize the Azure platform
Learn the ins and outs of the Industrial Internet of Things through subjects ranging from its history and evolution, right up to what the future holds.
About This Book
- Define solutions that can connect existing systems and newer cloud-based solutions to thousands of thousands of edge devices and industrial machines
- Identify, define, and justify Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) projects, and design an application that can connect to and control thousands of machines
- Leverage the power and features of a platform to monitor, perform analytics, and maintain the Industrial Internet
Who This Book Is For
Architects who are interested in learning how to define solutions for the Industrial Internet will benefit immensely from this book. Relevant architect roles include enterprise architects, business architects, information architects, cloud solution architects, software architects, and others. The content is also relevant for technically inclined line of business leaders investing in these solutions.
What You Will Learn
- Learn the history of the Industrial Internet and why an architectural approach is needed
- Define solutions that can connect to and control thousands of edge devices and machines
- Understand the significance of working with line of business leadership and key metrics to be gathered
- Connect business requirements to the functional architecture
- Gain the right expectation as to the capabilities of Industrial Internet applications and how to assess them
- Understand what data and analytics components should be included in your architecture solution
- Understand deployment trade-offs, management and security considerations, and the impact of emerging technologies
The Industrial Internet or the IIoT has gained a lot of traction. Many leading companies are driving this revolution by connecting smart edge devices to cloud-based analysis platforms and solving their business challenges in new ways. To ensure a smooth integration of such machines and devices, sound architecture strategies based on accepted principles, best practices, and lessons learned must be applied.
This book begins by providing a bird's eye view of what the IIoT is and how the industrial revolution has evolved into embracing this technology. It then describes architectural approaches for success, gathering business requirements, and mapping requirements into functional solutions. In a later chapter, many other potential use cases are introduced including those in manufacturing and specific examples in predictive maintenance, asset tracking and handling, and environmental impact and abatement. The book concludes by exploring evolving technologies that will impact IIoT architecture in the future and discusses possible societal implications of the Industrial Internet and perceptions regarding these projects.
By the end of this book, you will be better equipped to embrace the benefits of the burgeoning IIoT.
Style and approach
This book takes a comprehensive approach to the Industrial Internet, thoroughly acquainting the reader with the concepts and philosophy of the IIoT. It provides a basis for defining an IIoT solution in a thoughtful manner and creating what will be viewed as a successful project.
Maximize Oracle Exadata Capabilities
Leverage all of the powerful features available in the Oracle Exadata Database Machine using the proven techniques inside this Oracle Press guide. Written by Oracle experts, Achieving Extreme Performance with Oracle Exadata shows you how to take full advantage of this complete, optimized package of software, servers, and storage. Best practices for enterprise deployments, high availability, administration, backup and recovery, data warehousing, online transaction processing, consolidation, and migration are included in this authoritative resource.
- Take advantage of the tightly integrated hardware and software in the Oracle Exadata Database Machine
- Work with Oracle Exadata software features, including Smart Scans, Oracle Exadata Hybrid Columnar Compression, storage indexes, Oracle Exadata Smart Flash Cache, and I/O Resource Manager
- Understand Oracle Exadata Database Machine balanced hardware architecture
- Architect, administer, and monitor Oracle Exadata Storage Servers
- Deploy data warehouses on the Oracle Exadata Database Machine
- Run online transaction processing (OLTP) workloads on the Oracle Exadata Database Machine
- Consolidate databases with and migrate databases to the Oracle Exadata Database Machine
Transform Big Data into Insight
"In this book, some of Oracle's best engineers and architects explain how you can make use of big data. They'll tell you how you can integrate your existing Oracle solutions with big data systems, using each where appropriate and moving data between them as needed." -- Doug Cutting, co-creator of Apache Hadoop
Cowritten by members of Oracle's big data team, Oracle Big Data Handbook provides complete coverage of Oracle's comprehensive, integrated set of products for acquiring, organizing, analyzing, and leveraging unstructured data. The book discusses the strategies and technologies essential for a successful big data implementation, including Apache Hadoop, Oracle Big Data Appliance, Oracle Big Data Connectors, Oracle NoSQL Database, Oracle Endeca, Oracle Advanced Analytics, and Oracle's open source R offerings. Best practices for migrating from legacy systems and integrating existing data warehousing and analytics solutions into an enterprise big data infrastructure are also included in this Oracle Press guide.
- Understand the value of a comprehensive big data strategy
- Maximize the distributed processing power of the Apache Hadoop platform
- Discover the advantages of using Oracle Big Data Appliance as an engineered system for Hadoop and Oracle NoSQL Database
- Configure, deploy, and monitor Hadoop and Oracle NoSQL Database using Oracle Big Data Appliance
- Integrate your existing data warehousing and analytics infrastructure into a big data architecture
- Share data among Hadoop and relational databases using Oracle Big Data Connectors
- Understand how Oracle NoSQL Database integrates into the Oracle Big Data architecture
- Deliver faster time to value using in-database analytics
- Analyze data with Oracle Advanced Analytics (Oracle R Enterprise and Oracle Data Mining), Oracle R Distribution, ROracle, and Oracle R Connector for Hadoop
- Analyze disparate data with Oracle Endeca Information Discovery
- Plan and implement a big data governance strategy and develop an architecture and roadmap
Many people find technology careers enticing because of the number of job opportunities, the high compensation, or simply because of fascination with technology itself. Once in those careers, however, there are many challenges to remaining relevant and at one’s peak in the face of constantly shifting competitive and technology landscapes. Incumbents face a constant stream of new skills to learn that are often already known by more recent graduates entering the market at lower compensation rates. There also are time-to-market challenges and the need to keep up with the introduction of automation.
This book was written based on the author’s experience gained over 40 years working with and in technology-related fields and companies. It provides practical guidance on remaining relevant as changes are expected to occur in technology at ever faster rates in coming decades.What You'll Learn
- Know what companies really want
- Realize the importance of alignment with company culture
- Understand the political landscape and how to use it to advantage
- Discover why creating, maintaining, and operating in a diverse environment is beneficial
- Master strategies for skills development
- Future-proof your career
Technology professionals who want to remain relevant and happy while navigating their current career and university students who are pursuing a STEM career and actively planning their future
An enormous system comprising myriad technologies, options, and releases, Oracle's complexities have spawned numerous areas of specialization. For each area of specialization there are equally specialized how-to books and manuals. O'Reilly's Oracle Essentials claims a unique place among these books. Rather than focusing on one area, the book explains the foundational concepts of the Oracle technology and the core technical and business aspects of using it.The new edition of this classic book, Oracle Essentials, 3rd Edition: Oracle Database 10g, distills a vast amount of knowledge into an easy-to-read volume covering every aspect of the Oracle database. Readers of all levels will learn about Oracle's features and technologies, including the product line, architecture, data structures, networking, concurrency, tuning, and much more.Featuring focused text, abundant illustrations, and helpful hints, the new edition offers a valuable overview of Oracle's Database 10g--the industry's first database to support grid computing. Recent releases such as Oracle 9i and 8i are also covered. The book contains chapters on:
- Oracle products, options, and overall architecture for Oracle 10g and prior recent releases
- Installing and running Oracle: how to configure, start up, and shut down the database, and various networking issues
- Oracle data structures, datatypes, and ways of extending datatypes, with an introduction to Oracle objects (e.g., tables, views, indexes)
- Managing Oracle: security, the Oracle Enterprise Manager, fragmentation and reorganization, and backup and recovery
- Oracle performance: characteristics of disk, memory, and CPU tuning
- Multi-user concurrency, online transaction processing (OLTP), and high availability
- Hardware architectures (e.g., SMP, MPP, NUMA) and their impact on Oracle
- Data warehousing and distributed databases
- Network deployment: using Oracle as an Internet computing platform and for grid computing
- What's new in Oracle 10g: a summary of the database changes described in the book