S Is for Southern: A Guide to the South, from Absinthe to Zydeco Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
From the best-selling authors of The Southerner's Handbook, Good Dog, and The Southerner's Cookbook comes a lively compendium of Southern tradition and contemporary culture.
The American South is a multifaceted region with its own vocabulary, peculiarities, and cultural touchstones. Even for those born in the South, the unspoken rules - layered in local nuances and complexities - can sometimes be confounding. Tennessee whiskey may technically be bourbon, but don't let anyone in Kentucky hear you call it that. And bless your heart, don't you dare make the mistake of confusing a magnolia blossom with a Japanese tulip.
Now, from the editors of Garden and Gun - the magazine known as "the soul of the South" - comes this encyclopedia of Southern living, culture, and history. Covering age-old traditions and current zeitgeists, S Is for Southern includes more than 500 entries spanning every letter of the alphabet, from absinthe to zydeco. This audiobook also includes 100 signature essays from notable Southern writers, including:
- Jon Meacham on the Civil War
- Sean Brock on Waffle House
- Roy Blount, Jr. on humidity
- Jessica B. Harris on field peas
- Jason Isbell on the Atlanta Braves
- Jack Hitt on pluff mud
- The Lee brothers on boiled peanuts
- Jonathan Miles on Larry Brown
- Julia Reed on the Delta
Informative and irreverent, S Is for Southern celebrates and demystifies the traditions of the South and is a must-listen for all fans of the region and culture enthusiasts.
- One credit a month to pick any title from our entire premium selection to keep (you’ll use your first credit now).
- Unlimited listening on select audiobooks, Audible Originals, and podcasts.
- You will get an email reminder before your trial ends.
- $14.95 a month after 30 days. Cancel online anytime.
Related to this topic
Only from Audible
|Listening Length||14 hours and 54 minutes|
|Author||Editors of Garden and Gun, David DiBenedetto|
|Whispersync for Voice||Ready|
|Audible.com Release Date||October 24, 2017|
|Best Sellers Rank|| #95,314 in Audible Books & Originals (See Top 100 in Audible Books & Originals) |
#340 in Food & Wine
#497 in US State & Local History
#642 in Southern U.S. Cooking, Food & Wine
Reviews with images
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
By Katlynn on April 23, 2021