Scala Cookbook 2nd Edition, Kindle Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Save time and trouble building object-oriented, functional, and concurrent applications with Scala. The latest edition of this comprehensive cookbook is packed with more than 250 ready-to-use recipes and 1,000 code examples to help you solve the most common problems when working with Scala 3 and its popular libraries.
Scala changes the way you think about programming--and that's a good thing. Whether you're working on web, big data, or distributed applications, this cookbook provides recipes based on real-world scenarios for both experienced Scala developers and programmers just learning to use this JVM language. Author Alvin Alexander includes practical solutions from his experience using Scala for component-based, highly scalable applications that support concurrency and distribution.
- Strings, numbers, and control structures
- Classes, methods, objects, traits, packaging, and imports
- Functional programming techniques
- Scala's wealth of collections classes and methods
- Building and publishing Scala applications with sbt
- Actors and concurrency with Scala Future and Akka Typed
- Popular libraries, including Spark, Scala.js, Play Framework, and GraalVM
- Types, such as variance, givens, intersections, and unions
- Best practices, including pattern matching, modules, and functional error handling
Inspire a love of reading with Amazon Book Box for Kids
Discover delightful children's books with Amazon Book Box, a subscription that delivers new books every 1, 2, or 3 months — new Amazon Book Box Prime customers receive 15% off your first box. Learn more.
From the brand
From the Publisher
From the Preface
This is a cookbook of problem-solving recipes about Scala 3, the most interesting programming language I’ve ever used. The book contains solutions to more than two hundred fifty common Scala programming problems, demonstrated with more than one thousand examples.
Compared to other Scala 3 learning resources, there are several unique things about this book:
- As a cookbook, it’s intended to save you time by providing solutions to the most common problems you’ll encounter.
- The book covers not only the Scala language but also recipes on Scala tools and libraries, including sbt, Spark, Scala.js, Akka actors, and JSON processing with the Play Framework.
- The book takes a big dive into the Scala collections classes, using five chapters to demonstrate their use.
- Output from the examples is shown either in the Scala interpreter or in comments after the code. As a result, whether you’re sitting by a computer, on a plane, or reading in your favorite recliner, you get the benefit of seeing their exact output. (Which often leads to, “Ah, so that’s how that works.”)
This book is intended for programmers who want to be able to quickly find solutions to problems they’ll encounter when using Scala and its libraries and tools. I hope it will also be a good tool for developers who want to learn Scala. I’m a big believer in learning by example, and this book is chock-full of examples.
About the Author
Alvin Alexander took the circuitous route to software development. He managed to get a degree in Aerospace Engineering from Texas A&M University while all he wanted to do was play baseball. Once he became a practicing engineer he was volunteered to maintain the company’s software applications, and quickly realized he liked it. As a result he ended up teaching himself Fortran, C, Unix and network administration, Perl, Java, Python, Ruby, Scala, and Kotlin. During this process he started a software consulting firm, grew it to fifteen people, sold it, and moved to Alaska. After returning to the “Lower 48” he self-published two books, How I Sold My Business: A Personal Diary, and A Survival Guide for New Consultants. Since then he has written three more books: Scala Cookbook; Functional Programming, Simplified; and Hello, Scala.--This text refers to the paperback edition.
- ASIN : B09CG1LY5F
- Publisher : O'Reilly Media; 2nd edition (August 10, 2021)
- Publication date : August 10, 2021
- Language : English
- File size : 4620 KB
- Simultaneous device usage : Unlimited
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Word Wise : Not Enabled
- Print length : 804 pages
- Page numbers source ISBN : 1492051543
- Lending : Not Enabled
- Best Sellers Rank: #1,077,089 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews: