|Digital List Price:||$0.99|
|Kindle Price:|| $0.00 |
Save $0.99 (100%)
Your Memberships & Subscriptions
Shallow Waters Vol.1: A Flash Fiction Anthology (A Series of Supernatural Stories) Kindle Edition
Shallow Waters—where nothing stays buried.
With twenty-two dark tales diving beneath the surface of loss, love, and life.
Shallow Waters is the official monthly flash fiction challenge hosted by the award-winning Crystal Lake Publishing. Every month a new challenge is posted online, with authors submitting via email. The best submissions are then posted on Crystal Lake’s Patreon page, where patrons read daily entries and vote for the winner. What you’ll find in these Shallow Waters anthologies include the most popular of our finalists.
Stay tuned for more volumes in this series, or find Crystal Lake Publishing on Patreon to enter or vote on future challenges.
Volume one includes horror, thrillers, suspense, and stories of love lost, death, 2nd chances, the monsters within, and the beauty beneath it all.
Introduction by Joe Mynhardt
“Closure on a Bed of Nails” by Chad Lutzke
“Fast Car” by Tracy Fahey
“Tears of Buddy” by Patrick R. McDonough
“Puzzle Pieces” by Armand Rosamilia
“Pretty Like Butterflies” by Tim Waggoner
“S1:E7” by Robert Ford
“Pain is Your Teacher” by Michael Harris Cohen
“Memory Lane” by Red Lagoe
“The Silence of the Sirens” by Loren Rhoads
“It’s Me Not You” by Jonathan Winn
“Sisters of Loss” by Mark Allan Gunnells
“Talisman” by Jezzy Wolfe
“The Melting of Your Gods” by Mercedes M. Yardley
“Charms” by Dino Parenti
“Not Your Average Monster” by Kenneth W. Cain
“Where the Children Run in Darkness” by Guy Medley
“Tunnels” by Tom Over (winner)
“The Truth about Dani” by Joe Mercer
“Baby Savannah” by M.J. Sydney
“Rats Scratched in the Linen Cupboard” by Dani Brown
“Raining” by John Boden
“The Death Experience” by L.A. Story
In this volume…
- Taunted by a cactus, a man copes with grief after the loss of his wife.
- Alondra DeCourval visits Franz Kafka’s grave to think about death.
- A lovestruck woman strives to connect with a man she’s convinced is The One.
- The perfect funeral for a child—all according to a Mother’s well-crafted plan. The exception is one small, unexpected development no one could have ever prepared for.
- A short meditation on the haunting nature of love and loss, and the aftermath of both.
- Victor’s sanity has been threaded together by the memory of his daughter’s voice, until now, when her laughter falls silent.
- An adrenaline junkie believes he can take on the ultimate challenge—coming back from the dead.
- Sisters share everything. The good...and the bad.
- Sometimes being a hoarder is dangerous...
- In our ever-changing world, what we view as a monster is constantly evolving…but at what cost?
- Buddy's heart aches for his family’s arrival.
- Bright colors may be beautiful, but sometimes they can be dangerous.
- Sometimes the darkness we harbor within is best left behind closed doors.
- Rats scratch in the children's ward.
- A surprise wedding present from daughter to father, built over a lifetime, reveals his true nature to all his guests.
- Can a mourning Mallory find comfort before she loses her mind?
- While coming to terms with the death of his mother a man learns that he harbours a strange ability, one that could threaten to tear his reality apart.
- A woman’s last letter to her abusive ex-husband returns the favor of his tutelage.
- Lillian’s search for her daughter’s doll leads her on a journey through tragedy, loss, and madness.
- The brutal murder a man's only child leaves him burdened with a question only he can answer.
Proudly brought to you by Crystal Lake Publishing—Tales from the Darkest Depths.
From the Publisher
Take a Deep Breath and Dive Beneath the Surface of Shallow Waters—Where Nothing Stays Buried.
This series includes over 100 flash fiction stories by the likes of Chad Lutzke, Armand Rosamilia, Tim Waggoner, Robert Ford, Jonathan Winn, Mark Allan Gunnells, Jezzy Wolfe, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dino Parenti, Kenneth W. Cain, John Boden, Matt Shaw, Jess Landry, Dan Weatherer, Theresa Derwin, Monique Snyman, Richard Thomas, Jennifer Loring, Lee Murray, Kevin Lucia, Ben Lathrop, Lori Michelle, Jason Parent, Dave Jeffery, AJ Franks, Jonathan Fortin, R.B. Wood, Jay Bechtol, Robert W. Walker, Denver Grenell, Tom Deady, Taylor Grant, William Meikle, and many more.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ "This series of Flash fiction horror anthologies offers up bite size scare snacks that thrill, chill and ultimately disturb. A must read."—Theresa Derwin
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ "Purely amazing and awesome!!! So many talented writers putting out wonderful flash fiction."—Miguel Bizarre
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ "There are horror stories with vicious twists, emotional narratives with surprising outcomes, and body horror that displays the grotesque and the unexpected."—Janie C.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ "Shallow Waters hit all the right notes as far as flash fiction goes. Stories that moved me, unnerved me and disgusted me all featured in this varied and quality collection."—The Grim Reader
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ "Creepy stories. These shorts really make going to bed fun."—Stephen, Goodreads review
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ "Each story is different, tackling a variety of themes and with a large number of varied protagonists and point of views. There are some nice twists contained, excellent dark imagery, and really spine-chilling tales to sink your teeth into."—Dead Head Reviews
- ASIN : B07TM7PYHJ
- Publisher : Crystal Lake Publishing (June 24, 2019)
- Publication date : June 24, 2019
- Language : English
- File size : 3632 KB
- Simultaneous device usage : Unlimited
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Sticky notes : On Kindle Scribe
- Print length : 92 pages
- Best Sellers Rank: #13,847 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
About the authors
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
There wasn’t a “bad” story in the bunch, but there were a few that were okay. They weren’t standouts or spectacular, but they told a nice story. Several of the stories involved children that were not to my taste, but two stories stood out from the crowd.
Tears of Buddy by Patrick R. McDonough, will rip your heart out, stomp on it, and replace it only to do it again and again as you go about your daily life knowing the heart of this tale occurs daily.
Sisters of Loss, by Mark Allan Gunnells, presented a tale that has played out in courts and made headline news but explored the lengths a friend will go to in a personal light–one that will make a few readers thankful they don’t have close friends.
Overall, this is a well-edited and well-organized anthology. It is a short anthology and quick to read that I highly recommend for flash fiction readers who are looking for the darker side of life.
Joe Mynhardt has decided to create an anthology of all the top finalists to date. They may have not been the month’s winner, but they are still winning stories and deserve to be read by all. In Shallow Waters Vol.1 you will find tales of horror, thrillers, suspense, and so much more. Wicked twists and subtle nudges will have you wanting more. Since these stories are all short, I will not elaborate on any one of them, I will say though that I’ve read them all and had a hard time deciding just which one was the better one.
This is a great way to get to know some new authors or perhaps check out what else a familiar author has to offer in the way of storytelling. You really have to appreciate the talent it takes to put together a cohesive tale in just so many words.
Oh, and I do have to mention Ben Baldwin. What a brilliant book cover!
I look forward to future anthologies.