Your Memberships & Subscriptions
Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera - scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing "Send link," you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message & data rates may apply.
Shallow Waters Vol.2: A Flash Fiction Anthology (A Series of Supernatural Stories) Kindle Edition
Shallow Waters—where nothing stays buried.
With 25 dark tales diving beneath the surface of life, death, and the pain between them.
Shallow Waters is the official monthly flash fiction challenge hosted by the award-winning Crystal Lake Publishing. Every month a new challenge is posted online, with authors submitting via email. The best submissions are then posted on Crystal Lake’s Patreon page, where patrons read daily entries and vote for the winner. What you’ll find in these Shallow Waters anthologies include the most popular of our finalists.
Stay tuned for more volumes in this series, or find Crystal Lake Publishing on Patreon to enter or vote on future challenges.
Volume two includes horror, thrillers, suspense, and stories of life after death, the supernatural, murder, and the beauty beneath it all.
Introduction by Joe Mynhardt
“Night Swimming” by Michael O’Brien
“Hush Little Baby” by Matt Shaw
“The Vessel” by Mark Allan Gunnells
“The Southland” by Pedro Iniguez
“Biter of Dust” by Austin James (winner)
“Gently Used” by Jonah Buck
“Ollie Visits Grandma” by Mark Cassell
“The Water Tower Ghost” by Darryl Foster
“Standing Tall” by Kenneth W. Cain
“The Only Thing That Remains” by Jess Landry
“(Almost) Joined at The Hip” by Dan Weatherer
“Remy and the Elephant” by Linsey Knerl
“She Fluttered” by Andrew Garvey
“Just A Cup of Coffee” by Theresa Derwin
“Malignant” by Steve Thompson & Kenneth W. Cain
“Welcome to the Future” by Diana Grove
“Makes Three” by Michael Harris Cohen & Mark Allan Gunnells (winner)
“A Tea Party for the Dead” by Dani Brown & David Charlesworth
“A Game of Hide and Seek” by Joe X Young
“The Allotment” by Theresa Derwin
“Hourglass” by Chad Lutzke & John Boden
“The End of the War” by Joseph Mulak
“Long Distance Cull” by Tony Logan & Red Lagoe
“To Stop Further Slaughter” by Raymond Gates
“Baited” by Chad A. Clark
“Curtain Call” by Raven Dane (winner)
In this volume…
- A man is visited by his wife the night before her funeral.
- A tale of brotherly love turns sour.
- What happens when the ghosts of our past refuse to forget?
- A man contemplates the sacrifice he must make to stop a killer.
- When popping in to see a grandparent, don't always expect biscuits and tea.
- She rose from the dead, but by cheating death she must gamble again with life.
- A grieving mother preserves the memory of her son in a very curious manner.
- During an interrogation in the sweltering summer heat, a Los Angeles detective struggles as he loses his grasp between reality and madness.
- A bizarre black mold problem leads to the most extreme of solutions.
- Dawn comes for the dead locked in a forgotten room inside the Neon Dream.
- An ancient soul finds himself and his people threatened by an ever-growing hostile race.
- A man fleeing a creature of pure evil gets unexpected help from a brave knight looking for redemption.
- It has been said that a writer bleeds ink onto the page, but no one knew how true that really was.
- What protects you while you sleep?
- Beneath the gaze of a giant, inflatable gorilla, a salesman makes a peculiar pitch to a sceptical customer.
- A young woman is resurrected like Lazarus, but cheating death doesn’t mean winning in life.
- Mankind has always wondered if there were others in the universe and if so, what would they share with us?
- The war between humans and zombies is coming to an end with only one kill left...
Proudly brought to you by Crystal Lake Publishing—Tales from the Darkest Depths.
From the Publisher
Take a Deep Breath and Dive Beneath the Surface of Shallow Waters—Where Nothing Stays Buried.
This series includes over 100 flash fiction stories by the likes of Chad Lutzke, Armand Rosamilia, Tim Waggoner, Robert Ford, Jonathan Winn, Mark Allan Gunnells, Jezzy Wolfe, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dino Parenti, Kenneth W. Cain, John Boden, Matt Shaw, Jess Landry, Dan Weatherer, Theresa Derwin, Monique Snyman, Richard Thomas, Jennifer Loring, Lee Murray, Kevin Lucia, Ben Lathrop, Lori Michelle, Jason Parent, Dave Jeffery, AJ Franks, Jonathan Fortin, R.B. Wood, Jay Bechtol, Robert W. Walker, Denver Grenell, and many more.
- ASIN : B07T8RKGD9
- Publisher : Crystal Lake Publishing (July 26, 2019)
- Publication date : July 26, 2019
- Language : English
- File size : 609 KB
- Simultaneous device usage : Unlimited
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Print length : 87 pages
- Lending : Not Enabled
- Best Sellers Rank: #458,169 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
About the authors
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
As these are extremely short stories, my review of each will be short. I hope there aren't any spoilers.
Closure on a Bed of Nails - Chris Lutzke
WOW! I will never look at a bed of nails the same way again. And nightmares.
Fast Car - Tracy Fahey
This author will have you holding your breath. Fast car indeed!
Tears of Buddy - Patrick R. McDonouge
This is creepy. Good creepy. I cried.
Puzzle Pieces - Armand Rosamilia
The one before this was creepy. This one is also creepy. The end may shock you.
Pretty Like Butterflies - Tim Waggoner
A young woman learns too late why the old man told her she is pretty.
S1:E7 - Robert Ford
This really a season one, episode 7 type of story. You read it and have a feeling you have missed some of what happened earlier. Excellence in a very short story.
Pain Is Your Teacher - Michael Harris Cohen
A woman scorned and hurt gives back what she got.
Memory Lane - Red Lagoe
A photograph album really bothers an old drunk who doesn't drink anymore.
The Silence Of The Sirens - Loren Rhoads
Love does have limits.
It’s Me, Not You - Jonathan Winn
What's a lonely spinster suppose to do?
Sisters Of Loss - Mark Allan Gunnells
Boy, Howdy! Some women are just nuts!
The Melting Of Your Gods - Mercedes M. Yardley
Only Mercedes M. Yardley can make a fire so terrifying. Really.
Talisman - Jezzy Wolfe
Again with the creep factor. Only different.
Charms - Dino Parenti
A woman scorned gets revenge. Through her daughter.
Not Your Average Monster - Kenneth W. Cain
Kenneth W. Cain never fails. He does not fail here. Best I can do without a spoiler.
Where The Children Run In Darkness - Guy Medley
Just the title makes me shiver. I must say I am glad my children are out of school.
Tunnels - Tom Over
Sometimes you really don't want a one or two sentence review. Too creepy to know in advance.
The Truth About Dani - Joe Mercer
This seemed a one-off. Then comes the last sentence. It isn't a one-off. Everything in the past changes.
Baby Savannah - M.J. Sydney
Baby Savannah will break your heart. And make you scream.
Rats Scratched In The Linen Cupboard - Dani Brown
You read a sentence at the beginning of a paragraph. Then again, again. The sentence is innocuous until you read the, again, the last sentence. Then that quiet in your brain starts screaming. Do you? This is definitely a Prozin night.
Raining - John Boden
I used to live in Florida. I was landlocked, so we got a lot of rain, not like here.
Not really knowing where this takes place, rain is a bad omen.
The Death Experience - L.A. Story
Again, WOW! I love anthologies, and this one does not disappoint.
I have pre-ordered the next one. I think that says it all! Crystal Lake Publishing and Joe Mynhardt are forces to be reckoned with. They never disappoint.