Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Steve Scott
Customers Also Bought Items By
A fast and powerful style that excels in throwing and ground fighting
Sambo is considered one of the most effective, technically diverse, and dynamic modern sport fighting styles ever devised. Developed in the Soviet Union and based on Kodokan Judo and wrestling, sambo emphasizes utility over aesthetics. The end result is a fast paced and powerful system that excels in both throwing and ground fighting.
This book offers a serious, technical look at the Russian martial sport that has changed the way the martial arts world looks at grappling. Our emphasis will be a systematic approach, presenting skills based on their function and utility in actual sport fighting.
Sambo places emphasis on fast-paced, powerful and functional throwing techniques, and equally fast-paced, powerful and functional ground fighting techniques. Using fundamentally sound skills performed by a motivated and well-conditioned athlete, who has molded what he knows to work for him with a high ratio of success, is hard to beat.
- The essentials of sambo
- Throwing techniques
- Leg, ankle, and hip locks
- Holds and breakdowns
- Over 1200 instructional photographs
“The skills presented in this book have all passed the tests of time and competition. Everything presented has been used successfully at all levels of competitive sambo.”
The Judo Advantage explores the dynamics of how and why the human body works most efficiently for throwing, submission, and pinning techniques. Although judo provides the basis for the author’s analysis, his insights also relate to other grappling sports such as Russian sambo, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and Olympic and collegiate wrestling.
- Gain a competitive edge using the principles of human biomechanics.
- Master the ability to control your opponent’s movements.
- Improve fluency for seamless transition between techniques.
- Generate incredible power and speed.
This book features:
- In-depth analysis of stances, balance breaking, throws, takedowns, transitions, ground fighting, trapping, footwork, combinations, gripping, posting, linear and angular movement, torque, generating power, evading, generating force, changing directions, and stability
- Over 200 action photos
- Drills and winning insight for coaches and athletes of grappling arts
Steve Scott merges traditional martial wisdom with modern kinesiology, the study of human anatomy and movement. This new biomechanical perspective helps competitors develop every facet of their grappling skill, giving them a clear advantage in controlling opponents.