Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Steve Stahl
BUT there's an unexpected twist to this respected physician's CV: he has now penned a riveting novel the likes of which even John Grisham might envy: SHELL SHOCK. The plot revolves around post-traumatic stress disorder, a condition of great importance to Dr. Stahl, especially as thousands of veterans return to America with PTSD.
Steve hopes his debut thriller will shine a spotlight into the dark hole of public misconceptions about PTSD, as well as keeping readers glued to the pages of his latest book, which many believe is destined to become a major motion picture.
From the shell shock of men suffering the unspeakable horrors in the trenches of World War I to the PTSD of returning troops today, comes a mystery of crimes even more heinous than war itself. SHELL SHOCK investigates the effects of war's destruction on both the battlefield and on the minds of soldiers. Famous Stanford psychiatrist, Dr. Gus Conrad, uncovers a covert military faction, The Patrons of Perseus, formed during the First World War to celebrate heroism and eliminate cowardice. The group is so far beyond the pale of humanity that Conrad must stop its evil agenda. Through flashbacks to events of 100 years ago, to the examination of soldiers returning today from Iraq and Afghanistan with post-traumatic stress disorder, Conrad finds himself in a race to save his own life while trying to change the practice of psychiatry in the military.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Drs. Stephen M. Stahl and Bret A. Moore have created an instant classic in Anxiety Disorders: A Guide for Integrating Psychopharmacology and Psychotherapy. Anxiety Disorders is a comprehensive reference for the psychiatry and psychology student, intern, or resident, early career psychiatrist or psychologist, and the busy clinician. It distills the most important information regarding combined treatments for anxiety and presents the material in an easily accessible, understandable, and readable format. Each chapter addresses a specific type of disorder: PTSD, panic, generalized anxiety, obsessive-compulsive and other disorders, and is authored by prominent clinicians with years of experience in providing integrated, individualized treatments. With its thorough exploration of psychopharmacological treatments, psychosocial treatments, and, crucially, the integration of the two, Anxiety Disorders is a text no 21st-century clinician or student can afford to be without.
A fast-paced, rip-roaring Historical Fiction Thriller that entertains and educates. So gripping, it will leave you desperately hoping that what you are reading is pure fiction!
- “It is sure to be a major motion picture." - Louann Brizendine, M.D., New York Times Bestselling Author
When psychiatrist Dr. Gus Conrad is called to consult by the U.S. army for its growing epidemic of suicides and PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) among soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, his problems begin.
Accused of murdering one of his own patients, a soldier with PTSD, Conrad learns from the mother that the answer to who is the real killer resides in England, where her family holds a long-hidden secret.
Now Conrad must find the real killer as he slips out of the country to uncover to his horror the practice over the past century of British and U.S. armies both secretly killing their own soldiers who claimed psychological problems following combat, deeming them cowards, making their deaths look like suicides.
The current head of the American death squad has apparently killed Conrad’s patient, and is now targeting Conrad himself for death. Following the clues in England, Conrad is shocked at what he discovers.
- Will Conrad and Warburton be able get back to the U.S. to expose the practice of armies killing their own soldiers they deem cowards?
- Can they stop the rogue leader of the American death squad before they themselves are killed?
Praise for Shell Shock
Shell Shock is a stunning debut novel by best-selling textbook author and world famous psychiatrist, sure to capture your interest and outrage and leave you yearning for more.
- ". . . it becomes nearly impossible to tell where the fiction stops and the story continues… in a fast-paced read that is reminiscent of Dan Brown." - Chad Clement, Chief Warrant Officer 3 (CWO3), US NAVY SEAL (RETIRED)
- “Shell Shock is not only a page-turner but a tour de force first-novel by renowned psychiatrist Stephen Stahl. It is sure to be a major motion picture." - Louann Brizendine, M.D., New York Times Bestselling Author
- "Iconic psychopharmacologist Stephen Stahl demonstrates his mastery of the crime mystery genre in a shock and awe novel that barrels along with Stahl’s customary brio while informing us about PTSD and, as ever, man’s inhumanity to man." - Professor Gordon Parker,Black Dog Institute, Australia
- "Gripping and thrilling to the very end . . . " -Lieutenant Commander Dr. Wil Sauve, former U.S. Navy psychiatrist embedded with army troops in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedo