Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
Customers Also Bought Items By
»»» Updated 2020 edition «««
The ability to write SQL is one of the most in-demand job skills. Are you prepared?
It's easy to find basic SQL syntax information online. What's hard to find is challenging, well-designed, real-world problems—the type of problems that come up when you're dealing with data. Learning how to solve these problems will give you the skill and confidence to step up in your career.
With SQL Practice Problems, you can get that level of experience by solving sets of targeted problems. These aren't just problems designed as syntax examples. These are the most common problems you encounter when you deal with data.
You will get real world practice, with real world data. I'll teach you how to “think” in SQL, how to analyze data problems, figure out the fundamentals, and work towards a solution that you can be proud of.
Can I run SQL Practice Problems on a Mac? No, it requires a computer with Microsoft Windows. I also offer a Professional package at SQLPracticeProblems.com which is suitable for both Windows and Mac.
How important is the real-life, hands-on problem solving that you can find in SQL Practice Problems?
You can watch videos online that will walk you through various aspects of databases, and SQL. And you can read up on SQL syntax and keywords, and review sample code.
But...to really absorb and be able to apply your learning, you need to solve real-world problems. Being presented with a SQL problem, and working through that problem (with hints, if necessary) will help you understand and remember like nothing else.
What do you get when you buy SQL Practice Problems?
- Setup instructions for Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition and SQL Server Management Studio (Microsoft Windows required). Both are free downloads.
- A customized practice database, with a video walk-through on setting it up.
- Practice problems - 57 problems that you work through, step-by-step. There are targeted hints if you need them, which help guide you through the question.
- Answers and a short, targeted discussion section on each question, with alternative answers and tips on usage and good programming practice.
What does SQL Practice Problems not contain?
- Complex descriptions of syntax. There's just what you need, and no more.
- The differences between every single SQL variant (MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc). The practice problems are set up with Microsoft SQL Server, and the differences are minor and easy to find online.
- Details on Insert, Update and Delete statements. The hardest thing to learn in SQL is how to write Select statements that return complex data. Other components of SQL are relatively easy.
From customer reviews:
Probably the most useful technical book I've used! Challenging problems with appropriate hints - use as needed. She should be writing other books.
- A. J.
I have numerous books on SQL, and have taken courses from people with lots of experience with data and SQL.
Why is weighing yourself the single best daily health habit you can have?
Who are the people who tell you to avoid your scale—and why?
“Moderation” is very common weight loss advice. What makes it so difficult for people to follow?
If you need to lose weight, you're not alone. There has been a stunning jump in obesity in the past 50 years. Now, more than 71 percent of people in the United States are overweight or obese. This increase is not caused by a massive failure of willpower. We’re not experiencing an explosion of greed.
No, many of us are just living in an environment that encourages constant overeating. We're playing a game that we’re not equipped to win.
But Weigh Every Day can help you win. With the ideas, advice, and understanding that you get from this book, you can win the weight battle through sustainable, lifetime habits.
What if what you hear from almost everyone, “Weighing yourself every day just leads to obsession and anxiety” is flat-out wrong? What if avoiding the scale can actually cause weight gain? You’ll learn how this happens in Weigh Every Day.
You may be trying to lose a substantial amount of weight, or perhaps it’s a few pounds that have slowly built up. You need to know specifically how to lose the weight—permanently? There’s so much advice out there, so many books, programs, and products. There’s fads and lots of conflicting recommendations. Who knows what to believe?
Weigh Every Day is based on understanding and avoiding the factors that cause people to gain weight. You don’t need to follow extreme diets. And you decide what your plan is.
Weigh Every Day will show you:
- The reasons why obesity has skyrocketed in the past 50 years
- How an in-depth understanding of these reasons can help you lose weight
- The backstory on how stepping on the scale daily improves your habits
- Why weekly weigh-ins can cause problems
- How you can avoid “Moment of Truth” thinking when weighing yourself
- Tips that make your daily weigh-in anxiety-free and automatic
And you’ll learn about food rules:
- The reason why trying to eat small portions of addictive foods can lead to failure
- Why food rules—having a clear line between food you eat and food you don’t eat—can be much easier than moderation
- How personalized food rules are more effective than “one-size fits all” rules
- The features of a good food rule, compared to a bad one
- Specific ways to avoid feeling deprived
- Why slow habit changes (instead of a big overhaul) gives you more chance of success
There's a lot of weight-loss hype out there. Many well-intentioned, convincing people are selling plans and programs.
But are these plans and programs based on theories that makes sense? Do they take into account the reasons behind the obesity epidemic?
No. Usually they just push something that sounds appealing, like “Eat all the meat you want and still lose weight!”. But these aren't sustainable.
Don't waste time on these.