I disliked so many things about this miniseries.
The overall problem is SO much sadness.
It was depressing to see 4 out of 5 women end up in loveless marriages.
The whole story is about the loss of innocence & the stupidity of the English way of marrying for title & money
I was hard pressed to find any English character that I did like.
SO breaking it down
1) Mia Sorvino as Brazilian doesn't work. not with the accent, not with her fair skin. You need to suspend all disbelief in order to see her as a passionate & hot blooded.
2) An American character learns on her wedding day that she has been married solely for her money pretty much before shes' left the church so why not slap the guys face & get an annulment ?
3) It seems a 2 year engagement is not uncommon, so why doesn't one character simply take advantage of that option before leaving (for 2 years ) to make his fortune ?
4) marital rape: Outwardly sweet & kind a tightly buttoned up Englishman's lack of knowledge & inexperience with women makes him insecure to the point of violence. It really was awful, as is every time after that he seeks out his wife for intimacy
5) Husband give his wife her space & turns to homosexuality
7)The happy ending isn't :to commit adultery, get pregnant & run off with your lover....not romantic, not a happy ending.