Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Valerie A. Kells
Val Kells is a Marine Science Illustrator with 34 years of professional experience. She has worked with designers, educators, and curators to create a wide variety of illustrations for educational and interpretive displays in over 30 public aquariums, museums, and nature centers. Her clients have included the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Aquarium of the Pacific, South Carolina Aquarium, and the North Carolina Aquariums, among others. Her work has also been published in numerous books and periodicals. She most recently coauthored and illustrated "A Field Guide to Coastal Fishes: from Maine to Texas," "A Field Guide to Coastal Fishes: from Alaska to California," and "Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of Virginia." She is also illustrator of "Field Guide to Fishes of Chesapeake Bay," and "Tunas and Billfishes of the World." Val is an avid fisherman and naturalist who enjoys fishing and exploring inland and coastal aquatic habitats. For more information please visit: www.valkellsillustration.com
Customers Also Bought Items By
A beautifully illustrated guide to the diverse and numerous freshwater fish species in Virginia.
In Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of Virginia, the foremost experts on Commonwealth fishes bring their decades of field experience to readers, offering a complete reference to the fishes of the entire state of Virginia. Gathering information that until now could only be found scattered across numerous reference works and online databases, this book provides everything you need to know to identify fish families and species in the Virginia region.
Covering how to collect, handle, observe, conserve, and protect these unique fishes, the book's key features include
• more than 175 vibrant, full-color illustrations, set side by side with descriptions of each fish
• helpful line drawings that depict the most reliable diagnostic characteristics for field identifications (e.g., snout shape, pigment patterns, mouth morphology)
• descriptions of Virginia's freshwater habitats
• examples of incredible fish spawning and feeding behavior
• tips on observing fish in the wild and in captivity
• a chapter on the taxonomy of family and common names of the fish species most common throughout Virginia
• up-to-date fish distribution maps
• a complete glossary of terms
Providing a fascinating foray into the wonders of the Commonwealth's swimmers, Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of Virginia will appeal to scientists, naturalists, teachers, native fish aquarists, students, anglers, and fish collectors.