Customer Review

Reviewed in the United States on November 8, 2020
I have had this Waterpik for a bit over 3 years and made it an important part of my dental hygiene. It does an excellent job of cleaning out the food from between my teeth and along the gum line. Recently we have become aware of the hazards of mold, and started paying paying attention to the Waterpik. The mold growth on the rubber section of the handle and along it's seams were hard to miss. I also found spots of mold growing inside the housing assembly. Attempts to clean the mold off the wand with a bleach wipe did not work.

I was able to clean up the housing quite easily, and have ordered a replacement (aftermarket) wand assembly. The aftermarket wand doesn't have the rubberized section that resists cleaning and is more susceptible to mold. I went ahead and split the original handle assembly and found an unattractive amount of mold inside in addition to what I had found on the outside.

I have discovered that this is a somewhat common issue, and have also found some recommended steps that should help prevent the mold from returning. The primary reason for the low rating is not because the mold occurred, but because the manual that came with the Waterpik didn’t include anything about how to prevent mold. There are some basic steps that will help:
- Dry off the wand before putting it in the holder bracket
- Empty out any residual water from the reservoir after using
- Let the pump run dry with the holder at a lower level than the Waterpik
- Run a vinegar solution through the Waterpik occasionally
Customer image
2.0 out of 5 stars Good performance, but significant mold problem
Reviewed in the United States on November 8, 2020
I have had this Waterpik for a bit over 3 years and made it an important part of my dental hygiene. It does an excellent job of cleaning out the food from between my teeth and along the gum line. Recently we have become aware of the hazards of mold, and started paying paying attention to the Waterpik. The mold growth on the rubber section of the handle and along it's seams were hard to miss. I also found spots of mold growing inside the housing assembly. Attempts to clean the mold off the wand with a bleach wipe did not work.

I was able to clean up the housing quite easily, and have ordered a replacement (aftermarket) wand assembly. The aftermarket wand doesn't have the rubberized section that resists cleaning and is more susceptible to mold. I went ahead and split the original handle assembly and found an unattractive amount of mold inside in addition to what I had found on the outside.

I have discovered that this is a somewhat common issue, and have also found some recommended steps that should help prevent the mold from returning. The primary reason for the low rating is not because the mold occurred, but because the manual that came with the Waterpik didn’t include anything about how to prevent mold. There are some basic steps that will help:
- Dry off the wand before putting it in the holder bracket
- Empty out any residual water from the reservoir after using
- Let the pump run dry with the holder at a lower level than the Waterpik
- Run a vinegar solution through the Waterpik occasionally
Images in this review
Customer image Customer image
Customer imageCustomer image
2,068 people found this helpful
Report abuse Permalink