Top critical review
Useful reference, at times poorly written
Reviewed in the United States on January 13, 2019
I thought some of the labs and sample questions are quite useful. The handbook provides good reference material on specific topics, and the introductory sections to each chapter give a good birds eye view of AWS core services.
A couple of things started bugging me the deeper I got into the book:
1. The author sometimes repeats himself unnecessarily
2. Doesn't always explain difficult concepts very well (chapter 3, VPC was pretty hard to follow)
3. Heavy use of technical jargon where plain English would be refreshing
4. Often guilty of wordy explanations, long sentences and longer paragraphs. There are also too many filler phrases like "you will notice", "please note", "it is important that you note", etc.
5. Not always very effective use of diagrams
I don't want to come across too harsh though. Clearly, the author is very knowledgable and I'm sure this book meets many people's needs based on the number of 5 star ratings. Perhaps this book is just not well suited to all learning styles. I found a very useful course on Udemy (acloudguru) that covers the same course content, but I found, easier to understand and more effective as a learning aid.