Top positive review
Absolutely Beautiful Book With Great Lessons!
Reviewed in the United States on June 25, 2020
My boys, 8 and 2, both love this book!
It is vibrant and well designed.
The message of YOUR CHOICES really stick out but not in a lecturing way.
My favorite things about it are:
1. It is not a super short book. 15 lessons of Choices. It's long enough to get into it, but not too long that a child loses interest.
2. It was clearly created by a mom like myself, who put a lot of thought and love into it.
3. It teaches children to be thoughtful of others feelings and how to be responsible.
4. One of my favorite pages is the "Gentle" lesson. The line "Use your hands with grace and care. Be kind to pets when stroking their hair. With little friends you're careful too, nobody wants to get a boo-boo." This page is important to me because I'm super adamant about kids not being rough with animals and learning to control their impulses. Plus, as boys grow, they need to know the importance of respecting a woman this same way.
5. My other favorite page is the "Magic starts in you" lesson. The first line is "You are the captain of your own ship." Which reminds me of a poem I had to recite in Literature my Freshman year of highschool:
'Invictus' by William Ernest Henley...
"Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul."
I love that I can relate this book back to that poem, and instill into my children that THEY are in charge of the course their lives take. No one else is.
Overall, this book is wonderful and I will be buying the other Magic of Me Series books!