Top positive review
REAL HONEST REVIEW
Reviewed in the United States on April 13, 2016
So one of the hardest decisions i have had to make to start auto detailing was what Dual Action Random Orbital should i get. Its tough getting started or even upgrading from a cheap one that you may learned on. Hopefully i can give you a little insight on this fine machine. With that said i do want to say i own this one and have around 6 months and have done some large time consuming jobs with it BUT i also do not own the other top brands like the flex, torque, ECT. To this day i have not looked back.
I will start with the things i love about it.
1) The size and weight - it is a very good size in the operational standpoint. I personally do not use the screw on handle mainly because i change hands to often for it, i just have one hand on the black and the other around the vent at the end. But its very accommodating and comfortable not to mention i can get in the smaller areas on cars like under the mirror because i do not have a long tail end. Just because its smaller does NOT mean it is less effective.
2) Porter Cable as a company is a well tested large backing company. If i remember right they came around in like 1905 or so. like i said i did a lot of research. There is no to minimal maintenance to it. The unit is factory lubricated with enough high quality lube that it will last the life of the unit under normal use (commercial grade unit keep that in mind) and they only recommend you take it to one of their certified shops (every 100 hours of use... long time) so they can take it apart clean it properly and check for worn parts to ensure your safety.
3) Having the speed setting as a wheel is wonderful. I have used my friends for a short time i did a 2x2 square like a month ago (i think he had the flex but could have been the torque) and it was nice but long i felt like i was reaching and it had a digital display with + - buttons. My personal opinion is that after i spread the product at a low speed i want to shut it off get in a good position set it to a functional speed and start it up, as his always starts on the lowest speed setting and while its on you have to crank it up. All in all i highly recommend this buffer and love using it and seeing the results i get out of it.
1) AS EXPECTED WITH EVERY UNIT NO MATTER THE BRAND is at low speeds it is a little tricky to control at first but its so slow its not a big deal or a deal breaker like i said its just the physics of these units.
2) the pad that comes with it is a cheap foam pad that i personally don't use at all and its just easier to buy pads and backing plate with a hook and loop (Velcro) connection so you don't have to use your wrench every time you change pads. Again a small detail and you can get these buffers with other packages and i'm sure the stock pad wont hurt anything its just your typical wax / sealant pad
If you want other video reviews i would recommend looking up Chemical Guys on you tube not only do they have extensive how to videos and great products but they have many reviews of the Porter Cable 7424xp and use it a good majority of the time in their shop / Class so you can see what this unit will do.
I want to say i have no affiliation with Porter Cable or Chemical guys and was not asked to review or given anything to review this is a REAL HONEST REVIEW. If you have any questions feel free to ask!